Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa Boogie amps...

RowdyMoon

Why a reissue...why not an original ..they are not that old.

Plus dispite the great heavy build a reissue will be a slight touch compromised as the MKI reissue was compared to original.

I have a MK IV which I bought new..the clean channel is as good as the best classic Fender I must say.

Because I haven't come across one to buy. Believe me, if I come across one when I have the money I'd get it. Bu a reissue I could put on layaway or pick up used for a fraction of the originals price.

It's pretty interesting how Mesa is perceived by different age groups. To me, Mesa is a solid Rock amp maker that eventually decided to enter the high gain market. To younger folks it's a Metal amp maker. A friend of mine met Don Randall who told him he designed the Mark IV for Jazz Guitarists, but Santana brought it to the Rock World where it found it's footing.

It's pretty interesting how Mesa is perceived by different age groups. To me, Mesa is a solid Rock amp maker that eventually decided to enter the high gain market. To younger folks it's a Metal amp maker. A friend of mine met Don Randall who told him he designed the Mark IV for Jazz Guitarists, but Santana brought it to the Rock World where it found it's footing.

The Who also used Mesa at some point...20/30 years ago mesa was perceived as a rock and roll type of thing.....but now when you see the acts the have listed and just the shear "look" of them screams metal and the like. I look at them as metal and I am almost hitting 50 ..( 2 more years..eeekkkk)

The Who also used Mesa at some point...20/30 years ago mesa was perceived as a rock and roll type of thing.....but now when you see the acts the have listed and just the shear "look" of them screams metal and the like. I look at them as metal and I am almost hitting 50 ..( 2 more years..eeekkkk)

Well, I look at the Rectifier's as Metal Amps, but Mesa is just an amp manufacture. Not a Metal Amp manufacturer.

The Stones also used them for years. I don't even think Mesa was really a 'metal' amp until Metallica started using the MK IIC+s circa Master Of Puppets. Up till' then, the heavy metal world was all Marshall, maybe with a little Laney, Orange, or even Fender. But mostly Marshalls.

Mesa in the 80s (they were referred to as "Boogies" up till the Rectifiers came along) had a lot of musicians playing them. The aforementioned Santana and Stones, Steve Lukather, Robben Ford before he discovered the Dumble Overdrive Special, and at one time or another, John Sykes (the Whitesnake record he did was all Mark III Coliseum!) and even Alex Lifeson (Permanent Waves record circa 1979-80. Only in the studio, though. HiWatts were his main stage amps from A Farewell To Kings (1977) thru 1980, before he started with the Marshall Club & Country amps on Moving Pictures, which were SRV's go to amps for his cleans in his early days..) used them. The Steve Lukather Star Licks video opens up with him demonstrating his arsenal of Boogie MK II Coliseum heads (with one standard MK II 100w head, which was used for a "blown-out fuzz tone" or something like that...), along with his Valley Arts guitar and his expansive Bradshaw rack unit, with the usual goods of the age (Roland SDE-3000 digital delay units, MXR rackmounted reverb unit (yes, MXR made rack units), and the ultra rare Dytronics CS-5 Tri-Stereo Chorus unit, which was analog. Oh, and an old Uni-Vibe which Steve officially re-named the "Sex Box"!).

And then you had John Petrucci, whom is still a Boogie user to this day. I don't like his Road King/Rectifier tones very much, but I like any of the tones with anything from the Mark series. He's using the MK V now!

Walter Trout, who is a scorchin' blues rock gun (but he doesn't like to be called or labeled a certain genre.) has used Boogies since the 80s. Look up his live cover of Hey Joe live in 1990 (in Sweden, no less! He's very popular over there!) for some excellent Boogie workout. That's a MK III in that vid!

BTW, First Measure, I think you were referring to the MK I in your post about how it was designed for jazzers....

Archived