Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa Boogie amps...

RowdyMoon

Mesa's are louder than marshalls, a friend of mine has a valve mesa and its F'in loud

NOT BLOODY LIKELY!!!!!!

Maybe it's louder than your little solidstate Marshall, but they're is no way in hell an old 70s Marshall (and that's just my example. All 100 watt tube Marshalls are louder than ****!) would get drowned out by a Rectal Fryer!

Soldanos are loud too!

But there's a reason Jim Marshall is called "The Father of LOUD"! Cause his amps easily drown out everything else!

The only things that are just as loud or louder are Wizard amps, HiWatts, and certain vintage Fender amps. I say that cause' D!ck and Stevie made all the Marshall guys look like WIMPS!!!!!

Personally, I'm waiting for a Mark IV reissue. The nicest amp I ever played through was an old Mark IV Combo.

Converting to tube amps? BOUT' TIME!!!! But I would never criticize one's taste in equipment just as long as they make it sound good! There is guys that have vintage Strats, vintage Marshall amps, and vintage pedals (like original Fuzz Faces, Vox Clyde McCoy Wah, Uni-Vibe, Rangemaster, etc) and make them sound like complete crap. (take note FenderGuy1. It's not about what you got, it's what you do with what you got. A quote from the great Lindsay Buckingham.).

Despite what EVOL says (HA), Mesa's are great amps, even though they don't suit me particularly well. The Mark series are the best ones IMHO. All their amps are great, and I would easily buy one, but I like the modded Marshall style tone more. Even Rectal Fryers sound good, just as long as you don't crank the gain too high, which isn't as much of a problem with the Mark series. The Mark IV and V, especially, are the farthest things from mushy and fizzy. Tight and refined. It's possible for a Recto to mimic a Mark, but it's impossible for a Mark to mimic a Recto.

And Andy Timmons sure gets great tones from the Lone Star and Stiletto!

my new song lyrics: (intro) Stealin a load of Jimi's pedals, his guitars and amps, then rocking out at 2:30 in the mornin'.... sayin hey through the microphone, Tellin Jimi to rock on, then doing the star spangled banner, with a fender straaat plugged into 3 old marshalls, doin everythang live and flawlesssss, im lovin my guitar! (solo) then i will roooock out tonight (outro), There

Yup, I'm 'bout the opposite of a metal player. I'm pretty much an mellow old dude. And the Electra Dyne is the first Mesa I've been drawn to. I keep going in the stores and plugging in. Been "trying them out" since December 2010. I even brought one of my own guitars in to GC once to try it out. I just haven't been able to get over the image that Mesas are for rockers so I haven't pulled the trigger. The ED has very user-friendly controls. Simple set-up.

The Express 5-50 is similar in that it's pretty simple as well. Easy to dial in some full clean sounds.

One of these days, I'll indulge myself with one or the other. But I've held out for 1-1/2 years now.

Doesn't the Mk V have the Mk IV sounds in it?

Oh yes, a Mark V would do nicely. It's just that my first experience was with a Mark IV and I really got to run it through it's paces. I've only plugged into a couple Mark V's for short tests.

Converting to tube amps? BOUT' TIME!!!! But I would never criticize one's taste in equipment just as long as they make it sound good! There is guys that have vintage Strats, vintage Marshall amps, and vintage pedals (like original Fuzz Faces, Vox Clyde McCoy Wah, Uni-Vibe, Rangemaster, etc) and make them sound like complete crap. (take note FenderGuy1. It's not about what you got, it's what you do with what you got. A quote from the great Lindsay Buckingham.).

Despite what EVOL says (HA), Mesa's are great amps, even though they don't suit me particularly well. The Mark series are the best ones IMHO. All their amps are great, and I would easily buy one, but I like the modded Marshall style tone more. Even Rectal Fryers sound good, just as long as you don't crank the gain too high, which isn't as much of a problem with the Mark series. The Mark IV and V, especially, are the farthest things from mushy and fizzy. Tight and refined. It's possible for a Recto to mimic a Mark, but it's impossible for a Mark to mimic a Recto.

And Andy Timmons sure gets great tones from the Lone Star and Stiletto!

LOL, yes I'm seeing the light!! No really, I've never been solid state over tubes, I just think solid state gets a bad rap. Plus people tend to give "Tubes' a little more credit than they deserve. Speakers, signal path, components, and craftsmanship are overlooked and Tubes all the glory.

Anyone have any experiance with this one.....I am not usually a mesa fan cause they seam to be geared towards metalheads and such, however , this one seams to be differant...

Electra Dyne 45/90 Head

I do not own one but I have played them. They are really nice amps.

I wouldn't say that Mesa's are geared toward metal, I play rock and I have two of their amps and they are great. Biggest issue I see with users is the fact that there are so many options, you spend a lot of time tweaking if you are looking for something specific. BUT you will find it! [biggrin]

I do not own one but I have played them. They are really nice amps.

I wouldn't say that Mesa's are geared toward metal, I play rock and I have two of their amps and they are great. Biggest issue I see with users is the fact that there are so many options, you spend a lot of time tweaking if you are looking for something specific. BUT you will find it! [biggrin]

My Lonestar Special does it for blues and classic rock.

No problem with "tweaking"

I've never owned a Mesa, but I've played with a few people who have had them over the years. Don't know the models, but every one has sounded amazing IMO. And I've never been in a purely "metal" band. Matter of fact, the other guitar player in the band I just auditioned for plays an SG through a Mesa combo and his tone is to die for...

Now, not to de-rail this thread but, as far as no amp being as loud as Marshal :-k

Well I have no scientific proof, but I would put money that my Carvin Legacy is at least as loud as any stock 100w combo out there..... B)

I don't really play metal, in most cases I find distortion useless. But I play a boogie stiletto head with a recto cab. Mesa has a great tone and I think people outside of the heavy music world are starting to show love.

I don't really play metal, in most cases I find distortion useless. But I play a boogie stiletto head with a recto cab. Mesa has a great tone and I think people outside of the heavy music world are starting to show love.

What do you mean by "distortion useless"? Do you mean that you don't like distortion or that you prefer a more classic gain or using pedals for your dirt?

BTW, metal is a different kind of heavy than say UFO or even Deep Purple.

To me, Rock Bottom is the heaviest thing I have ever heard.

But a Slayer tune is a different kind of heavy......It's like pure balls VS bulls.....

I've got an Express 5:50. I play it mostly clean (often adding a little delay with a pedal) or occasionally with Blues or Crunch setting and a little Gain (nice and creamy). The Clean setting is bright and sparkly, and sounds great. But for jazzier stuff, I use the clean (JC 120) setting on my Roland Cube 80XL.

Personally, I'm waiting for a Mark IV reissue. The nicest amp I ever played through was an old Mark IV Combo.

Why a reissue...why not an original ..they are not that old.

Plus dispite the great heavy build a reissue will be a slight touch compromised as the MKI reissue was compared to original.

I have a MK IV which I bought new..the clean channel is as good as the best classic Fender I must say.

Mesa's are louder than marshalls, a friend of mine has a valve mesa and its F'in loud

I don't know about louder but Mesa Boogies sure are a lot heavier.

my brother had a 4X12" Mesa Cabinet to go with his MKIII (or IV) head and it had 12" EV's in there.

It weighted a ton.

Archived