Gibson Brands Forums

Set Lists

kaleb

My band is planning on long shows again, which we haven't done since last fall. This is a list I've been working on:

Set I.

1. Sugar The Road-Ten Years After (with an intro lead)

2. Miles Away-Fleetwood Mac (with the intro from Van Halen's Mean Street and an original, spacy outro called "Further Away")

3. Django-Joe Bonamassa into Just Got Paid-ZZ Top (with a melody in the middle consisting of UFO's Rock Bottom, and Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love and Lemon Song!)

4. Red House Blues (only in A and with a more British blues style. Think Savoy Brown.)

5. Go Down-AC/DC

6. Snortin' Whiskey-Pat Travers

7. Snowblind-Ace Frehley (with the intro from Van Halen's Women In Love at the end going into the last part of The Necromancer by Rush!)

8. Distant Early Warning-Rush (only without the synths!)

9. Ballad Of John Henry-Joe Bonamassa

10. Workin' On The Road-Ten Years After

11. Foxy Lady-Jimi Hendrix

12. Slow Down-The Beatles

Set II.

1. Tell Mama-Savoy Brown

2. Killing Floor-Electric Flag

3. Let There Be Rock-AC/DC

4. Touch Too Much-AC/DC

5. 2,000 Man-KISS (w. my solo).

6. Rock Soldiers-Ace Frehley

7. Dancing In The Moonlight-Thin Lizzy

8. Cowboy Song-Thin Lizzy

9. May Be Wrong-Savoy Brown

10. Louisiana Blues-Savoy Brown

11. Bridge Of Sighs-Robin Trower

12. Rock Me Baby-Robin Trower

Set III

1. Rip It Out-Ace Frehley

2. Breakout-Ace Frehley

3. Blackout-Scorpions

4. Speedin' Back To My Baby-Ace Frehley/Ring In His Nose (And a Ring On Her Hand)-Savoy Brown melody

5. Red Barchetta-Rush

6. Jesus Just Left Chicago-ZZ Top (with extended outro. I may do a rant during that!)

7. Cold Shot-SRV

8. An original song

9. Voodoo Chile-Hendrix/Dazed n' Confused-Zeppelin/American Woman-Guess Who/Working Man-Rush melody.

10. Finding My Way-Rush (with Broon's Bane/The Trees intro)

Encores: Rock Bottom (UFO)

Hey Joe

Melody of something

Pride And Joy

Goin' Home-Ten Years After. (in no particular order. We'll just pick one or two. My top choices would be either the first two, or Hey Joe and Goin' Home

Wheres Sabbath?

Stooges?

MC5?

Stones?

Doors

Also

2. Breakout-Ace Frehley

3. Blackout-Scorpions

4. Speedin' Back To My Baby-Ace Frehley/Ring In His Nose (And a Ring On Her Hand)-Savoy Brown melody

5. Red Barchetta-Rush

6. Jesus Just Left Chicago-ZZ Top (with extended outro. I may do a rant during that!)

7. Cold Shot-SRV

8. An original song

9. Voodoo Chile-Hendrix/Dazed n' Confused-Zeppelin/American Woman-Guess Who/Working Man-Rush melody.

Only one?!

Wheres Sabbath?

Stooges?

MC5?

Stones?

Doors

Also

2. Breakout-Ace Frehley

3. Blackout-Scorpions

5. Red Barchetta-Rush

7. Cold Shot-SRV

8. An original song

Only one?!

My bass player isn't keen on that stuff you mentioned, although I am. War Pigs was a consideration, but I don't know.

Last night, I made some additions and some bumps, so to speak. Some of the AC/DC stuff is bumped. Only Go Down remains, and I added Whole Lotta Rosie as an encore (Let There Be Rock is my favorite AC/DC album...). Let's face it, with all these songs we have to practice, I ain't gonna write anything worth listening to, so I bumped the original tune for Lynch Mob's No Bed Of Roses. And Zeppelin's Tea For One was added too. Blackout, Red Barchetta and Rip It Out might get sacked, but I don't know yet. And we're toying with Rush's new single, Headlong Flight. We were thinking about doing the Rush song "Anthem", but nobody can sing it and no drummers around my area can play it. Headlong Flight is actually pretty easy to sing in comparison to Anthem......

One song I am looking forward to that we haven't done before is Breakout, by Ace Frehley (Frehley's Comet)!

This post made me laugh because I am the exact opposite; sort of. My band's philosophy is if you're going to spend all that time working on songs, why not work on your own? Couple that with the fact that I don't have the talent to play other bands' stuff and you get what I got.

And we don't play three hour gigs. We are the 45min opening set.

If you play a show, post photos please.

What are your bands intentions? If you're gonna be playing bars with 4 45 minute set, your way over time on your first set. A medley and "Distant Early Warning", that's almost 45 minutes right there. And, if you're going to be getting paid, you have a little too much obscurity in the line up. Venue owners don't know who the hell Ace Frehley.

A few months ago we played "Twice As Hard" by the Black Crowes and the owner told me not to do any originals [confused] I told him we didn't do any originals when we play there. He said it was like blues, and he doesn't like blues. So I told him I didn't know exactly which song he was talking about, and assured him the songs we played either hit the charts, come from an album that spent weeks in the top 10, or from a hit movie soundtrack. We played there a lot and the only new (for us) songs we were playing was "Gunpowder and Lead" and "Twice as Hard". Both use slide and have a bluesy feel.

BTW, the audience loved both of those songs, and "Twice as Hard" drew out a couple Crowes fans that tipped heavy and requested more, but the owner thought it was a bluesy original. "Gun Powder and Lead" is played on his Jukebox several times a day, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't that one he was talking about..........I'm going on to long.....but my point is....

You should consider the audience and the venue management (aka, check signer) when ever you put together a set list.

And, oh yeah, do you have a singer/front person?

I notice alot of it is guitar fronted music, you sure your not the only one who wants to do these songs? Not equally with the bassist or drummer?

My bassist and I are on equal footing with each other. We're a guitar band. A power trio.

The drummer is a drummer....

Just kiddin'! We all get along and we have the same ideas.

What are your bands intentions? If you're gonna be playing bars with 4 45 minute set, your way over time on your first set. A medley and "Distant Early Warning", that's almost 45 minutes right there. And, if you're going to be getting paid, you have a little too much obscurity in the line up. Venue owners don't know who the hell Ace Frehley.

A few months ago we played "Twice As Hard" by the Black Crowes and the owner told me not to do any originals [confused] I told him we didn't do any originals when we play there. He said it was like blues, and he doesn't like blues. So I told him I didn't know exactly which song he was talking about, and assured him the songs we played either hit the charts, come from an album that spent weeks in the top 10, or from a hit movie soundtrack. We played there a lot and the only new (for us) songs we were playing was "Gunpowder and Lead" and "Twice as Hard". Both use slide and have a bluesy feel.

BTW, the audience loved both of those songs, and "Twice as Hard" drew out a couple Crowes fans that tipped heavy and requested more, but the owner thought it was a bluesy original. "Gun Powder and Lead" is played on his Jukebox several times a day, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't that one he was talking about..........I'm going on to long.....but my point is....

You should consider the audience and the venue management (aka, check signer) when ever you put together a set list.

And, oh yeah, do you have a singer/front person?

The bar scene is different up in Butte. We know the owners personally, and they let us do our thang. It's not what you do, it's how you do it. We did an original boogie jam one time (kinda similar to Going Home by Ten Years After) and everyone loved it.

That club owner has his head up his a$$. It's not all about the money for me, either.

Yeah, we have one. It's ME!

The bar scene is different up in Butte. We know the owners personally, and they let us do our thang. It's not what you do, it's how you do it. We did an original boogie jam one time (kinda similar to Going Home by Ten Years After) and everyone loved it.

That club owner has his head up his a$$. It's not all about the money for me, either.

Yeah, we have one. It's ME!

I'm jealous! It's not usually that relaxed in these parts. It's not all about the money for me, either. It's about getting asked back and getting new venues. And like it or not, this is a capitalist society. Getting paid Rocks! But we do free shows every so often where we play just for us, those are always our best.

And that's pretty cool that you're the singer, you don't have to worry about what they can or can't do or stepping on egos when its a song you want to sing. Under those circumstances, I'd say your set list is perfect.

And it's not that we do songs we don't like, or don't want to do. It's just we don't get to do exactly what we'd like to do. I enjoy every song I've ever played live, if i didn't it would be time to take up a trade.

Archived