Gibson Brands Forums

2012 LES PAUL STD or 3 x Tributes

neuron

Hi everybody this is my first post so here's my chance to introduce myself to you all :)

I've been "gas'ing" lately about purchasing a Gibson USA Les Paul and I'd appreciate your input on my choice :)

I want to do some recording now that I'm setup to record in my home studio and wanted to upgrade to a Gibson for good playability and tone but I need versatility for recording my album.

After researching on the Gibson and other shop websites and having played a few of them in the shop, I came down to two options.

1) I am ready to pull the trigger for a LP STD 2012 because I really liked its feel, had an awesome finish and was definitely very versatile for tone.

2) But then I played a 60's tribute with p90's which I also had a beautiful tone and cost considerably less!

I then went home to ponder and figured hold on a second, for slightly less money than I was prepared to pay for a 2012 STD, I could instead get three Les Paul tributes - one with a 50's neck and humbuckers, 60's with p90's and the newly to be released 70's mini humbuckers!! It would be awesome to have backups for jamming, gigs etc and would each would have it's own unique voice with a transparent yet individual feel. Is this more for less?

So here are my thoughts...

ELECTRONICS & PICKUPS:

'The tributes would do so with the traditional pickups and each instrument would have its own individuality.

'The 2012 would do so with the latest wizardy of fat splits, phase shifts and full on blowouts!

'The volume pots on the 2012 are 500K vs 300K on the tributes

'Higher overall quality electronics on STD?

BODY & WOOD:

'2012 sees a more scientific approach to chambering compared to a traditional 9-hole on the tributes.

'2012 has a rosewood compound radius fretboard compared to baked maple 12' radius on the tributes.

'2012 has an assymetrical neck compared to two 60's necks and one 50's neck.

FINISH & LOOK:

'One kickass AAA glossy finish with bindings on the 2012 vs three great looking satin finishes!

These four guitars in question are fantastic in terms of what you get in value for price but I'm not going to get all of them lol :)

Owning just one guitar with many tricks up its sleeve is more functional per se...but you can have three awesome instruments for a bit less...

maybe some of you who have experience in this type of situation could share :)

Thanks

Minos

post-43923-044005300 1337350937_thumb.png

IMHO you can't compare any of the Tributes/Studios to a full on Standard.

Sure, you get 3 guitars for the price of one. But, you just can't beat the feel/playability and sound/features of the Standard. [thumbup]

I had a Studio Deluxe, and it was a VERY nice guitar. Even it doesn't come close to the 2012 Standard I sold it for.

With the coil taps, and the phase, Pure switches, you can get a lot of those single coil tones the 3 other guitars would produce.

IMHO you can't compare any of the Tributes/Studios to a full on Standard.

Sure, you get 3 guitars for the price of one. But, you just can't beat the feel/playability and sound/features of the Standard. [thumbup]

I had a Studio Deluxe, and it was a VERY nice guitar. Even it doesn't come close to the 2012 Standard I sold it for.

With the coil taps, and the phase, Pure switches, you can get a lot of those single coil tones the 3 other guitars would produce.

Thanks man that's really helpful :)

lol THATS AMAZING AWESOME!! msp_w00t.gif

If I may ask, when you are on the bridge bucker with vol and tone on full and you pull out the bypass knob does it increase or change or does it stay the same? I didn't get to check this in the shop when I went.

cheers :)

lol THATS AMAZING AWESOME!! msp_w00t.gif

If I may ask, when you are on the bridge bucker with vol and tone on full and you pull out the bypass knob does it increase or change or does it stay the same? I didn't get to check this in the shop when I went.

cheers :)

You get a bit more output, and a bit more Bite. It's really good for soloing.

I say 3 used 2010 tributes but thats me. I hate Gloss, love satin. I hate binding, love a RW Board, electronics are the same (my 1st run Tribute has no circuit board).

And I see no point in the upper models. Though I am sure I am the only one here that thinks this. Id say get a few natural back 2010's used and mod them

Ill take my 1st run p90 tribute any day.

LP-1.jpg

LP2-1.jpg

LP3-1.jpg

LP4-1.jpg

Personally, I think everyone needs at least one really nice guitar- I'd go for the Standard, or more likely a nice used 2010 Traditional Plus,(or a Trad Pro, if you like the coil split thing) I like the binding, the gloss, the inlays, RW fingerboard. And it just sings!.Then maybe pick up a Tribute with p90s.

There is a lot of differences in the feel of a Trad+ and a 50/60s studio tribute.

I have both-

But, you'd still have 2 guitars (tones) to choose from.

I say 3 used 2010 tributes but thats me. I hate Gloss, love satin. I hate binding, love a RW Board, electronics are the same (my 1st run Tribute has no circuit board).

And I see no point in the upper models. Though I am sure I am the only one here that thinks this. Id say get a few natural back 2010's used and mod them

Ill take my 1st run p90 tribute any day.

These are beautiful pictures thanks for sharing.

I think the same I like the satin finish and the raw nature of having three individually voiced guitars for the money.

I don't want to mod my guitar I've had enough of doing that, I'd much rather just get one, give it a kiss and maybe a setup and then just focus on playing it.

Thanks for the input though very helpful msp_thumbup.gif

Personally, I think everyone needs at least one really nice guitar- I'd go for the Standard, or more likely a nice used 2010 Traditional Plus,(or a Trad Pro, if you like the coil split thing) I like the binding, the gloss, the inlays, RW fingerboard. And it just sings!.Then maybe pick up a Tribute with p90s.

There is a lot of differences in the feel of a Trad+ and a 50/60s studio tribute.

I have both-

But, you'd still have 2 guitars (tones) to choose from.

Yeah I see what you're saying: two guitars - Trad. Pro with coil split and a studio tribute with p90's. That's a cool thought. and works out for more or less the same money msp_cool.gif

Firstly hello and welcome...

And Ohh thats a tough call...

Id also say theres nothing quite like a Standard level LP BUT I have a 60s Tribute and a Firebird Studio.. and they are GREAT guitars... and I mean GREAT...

It depends also on what kind of weight you like.. Some people love heavy guitars some people hate them.. the Studios are nice and light but still pack a punch when it comes to sound.. However if you play mainly with distortion those kinds of differences in sound become quite minimal anyway.

I like the idea of a Trad Pro (or a Classic Pro if you can find one) and a studio... But I really think the idea of having three guitars for the price of a Standard isnt a bad one... it depends on how much you really want a Standard. I also love those AAA tops.

For me what tends to happen is I pick up the studios to muck around on much more than I do my standards due to the weight. Theres just something about the studios that make them more fun to play. BUT when it comes to recording I nearly always go for the Classic (even though the tribute gets a look in on recording too.. thats how good it is). So both guitars have their place and both are worth owning IMO.

These are my main three Les Pauls

DSC01375.jpg

I already have a handful of Les Pauls.....If I didn't, I'd go for the 2012 Standard......

I say, go for the three Tributes, as some are limited runs....Then, wait, and get a used 2012 Standard.........

Firstly hello and welcome...

And Ohh thats a tough call...

Id also say theres nothing quite like a Standard level LP BUT I have a 60s Tribute and a Firebird Studio.. and they are GREAT guitars... and I mean GREAT...

It depends also on what kind of weight you like.. Some people love heavy guitars some people hate them.. the Studios are nice and light but still pack a punch when it comes to sound.. However if you play mainly with distortion those kinds of differences in sound become quite minimal anyway.

I like the idea of a Trad Pro (or a Classic Pro if you can find one) and a studio... But I really think the idea of having three guitars for the price of a Standard isnt a bad one... it depends on how much you really want a Standard. I also love those AAA tops.

For me what tends to happen is I pick up the studios to muck around on much more than I do my standards due to the weight. Theres just something about the studios that make them more fun to play. BUT when it comes to recording I nearly always go for the Classic (even though the tribute gets a look in on recording too.. thats how good it is). So both guitars have their place and both are worth owning IMO.

These are my main three Les Pauls

DSC01375.jpg

Hey thanks for sharing, those are beautiful instruments you have in the photo.

Yes i agree that the studios would be raw pick up and play type of thingand i love the idea of not having to worry about ruining the finish too much or being careful and reserved towards an instrument and just plain rocking out on them.

However if the tonewoods on the more expensive models i.e. trad pro, classic pro or std really shines through compared to the studio, even with overdrive or low distortion then im more inclined to go for better tone as that and playability are my first priority.

I've been looking for some trad pro and studio combos and i think its also a great alternative to my previous two choices, it sits somewhere inthe middle with having a top quality instrument and a slightly lower costing one for backup and slinging around!

Dont know though, compound radius on the standard might be the dealmaker aswell in terms of playability?!?

Thanks very much for sharing :)

I already have a handful of Les Pauls.....If I didn't, I'd go for the 2012 Standard......

I say, go for the three Tributes, as some are limited runs....Then, wait, and get a used 2012 Standard.........

Hi and thanks for sharing. I really like your idea!!! 😃

I HAVE THE BEST SOLUTION [biggrin]

BUY BOTH!

But seriously you can buy a

P90 Model for £450-550

& an 08 Standard / Traditional for £1,100-1,300

Heres some examples

P90 60's Tribute

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Gibson-60s-Tribute-Les-Paul-Guitar-Worn-Ebony-Electric-Guitar-/230791777204?pt=Guitar&hash=item35bc430bb4

Pre 08 Standards

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Gibson-USA-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Desert-burst-finish-Burstbuckers-/200739663498?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2ebd042e8a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CLASSIC-1960-Reissue-Standard-Custom-LP-Relic-/270975127049?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f17604e09

08 Standards

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-2008-Standard-Desert-Burst-/230791605850?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35bc406e5a

Ebay isn't for everyone I know and you have to be carefully but you sure can save ALOT or money if your sensible.

Hahah i wish i could buy both mate! But yes seriously this emerging idea of getting a trad and a studio is starting to stick to me.

Ive shopped from ebay before and im very comfortable and sensible there. Many many thanks for the links you provided real intersting i appreciate it :)

Hey thanks for sharing, those are beautiful instruments you have in the photo.

Yes i agree that the studios would be raw pick up and play type of thingand i love the idea of not having to worry about ruining the finish too much or being careful and reserved towards an instrument and just plain rocking out on them.

However if the tonewoods on the more expensive models i.e. trad pro, classic pro or std really shines through compared to the studio, even with overdrive or low distortion then im more inclined to go for better tone as that and playability are my first priority.

I've been looking for some trad pro and studio combos and i think its also a great alternative to my previous two choices, it sits somewhere inthe middle with having a top quality instrument and a slightly lower costing one for backup and slinging around!

Dont know though, compound radius on the standard might be the dealmaker aswell in terms of playability?!?

Thanks very much for sharing :)

Thanks [thumbup] I do love my babies [biggrin] (and they are probably the closest thing I will ever have to a real baby ;))

And if your thinking that the Studios lack in tone, dont.. They sound every bit like a Gibson.. Check this video out. I took my 60s Tribute to my family's building which is an old church and empty now to play for the natural reverb in that large room.. Check this sound I get from a tiny Marshall and the Tribute(overdrive at 3:48).

And one other thing I forgot to mention. As for playability... I havent tried the 2012 ( Gary Moore Tribute can maybe tell you more about that ;)).. But I know from experience (and reading posts on here) that you could sit and try ten of the same make and model of guitar and they will all play slightly differently. Gibsons are still mostly hand finished and thus are all slightly different.

Its one of my main reservations about buying off Ebay. For me theres no other way to know if that guitar is right for you until you play it.. Thats always the best advice that people give on here. Go and try as many as you can, even if they are the same model and year.. One always jumps out at you and you know instantly that this is your guitar..

Happy hunting man :)

We expect to see pictures of what ever you end up with (as the unspoken law on here is, if theres no pictures then it doesnt exist ;))

I have made my decision.

First off I'd like to thank all of you for your thoughts they have really helped me decide. msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks to cjwrx for recommending a good quality guitar and helping me with my GAS.

Thanks to marvar and Rabs for the brilliant suggestion that for the same money I could get 2 guitars; one trad. pro and a studio.

Thanks to Gary Moore Tribute for making me look on ebay for similar deals.

And thanks to Rabs again for that awesome video!

This is what I did.

I decided to go the two guitar approach but I was sceptic on the Trad. pro and a p90 studio.

I've always enjoyed the idea of a BFG which is a hybrid p90 humbucker in one guitar but never liked the look.

And then it happened...

I found on ebay a 2009 condition new Gibson Nighthawk with Les Paul spec's and it had a 498T humbucker in the bridge and p-90 in the neck...

...Two guitars in one...

...and then a tribute 70's mini humbuckers...

...Three guitars in two!..

...and then I bought it!...

AWESOME!!eusa_dance.gif

Here's the link to the exact one I just bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130350599415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_833wt_625

It's everything a Les Paul is and its Limited Edition, it's gonna be numbered and everything! As soon as I saw this I thought to myself that this and a studio 70's tribute with mini humbucker's would pretty much cover a a large palette of tone without having to lug three guitars around.

I'm very happy with my choice and I have all your help to thank for it. eusa_clap.gif

here is also the link to the official Gibson Nighthawk 2009 webpage:

http://www2.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/designer/gibson-usa/nighthawk-2009.aspx

I will definitely be posting photos and experiences as soon as I receive it in the next week or so.

Thanks again msp_thumbup.gif

I have made my decision.

First off I'd like to thank all of you for your thoughts they have really helped me decide. msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks to cjwrx for recommending a good quality guitar and helping me with my GAS.

Thanks to marvar and Rabs for the brilliant suggestion that for the same money I could get 2 guitars; one trad. pro and a studio.

Thanks to Gary Moore Tribute for making me look on ebay for similar deals.

And thanks to Rabs again for that awesome video!

This is what I did.

I decided to go the two guitar approach but I was sceptic on the Trad. pro and a p90 studio.

I've always enjoyed the idea of a BFG which is a hybrid p90 humbucker in one guitar but never liked the look.

And then it happened...

I found on ebay a 2009 condition new Gibson Nighthawk with Les Paul spec's and it had a 498T humbucker in the bridge and p-90 in the neck...

...Two guitars in one...

...and then a tribute 70's mini humbuckers...

...Three guitars in two!..

...and then I bought it!...

AWESOME!!eusa_dance.gif

Here's the link to the exact one I just bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130350599415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_833wt_625

Thats a REALLY good choice IMO [thumbup] ... I had a Gary Moore BFG which had a Burstbucker and P90 combo.. I dont often mention them as they are quite radical and not a lot of people liked them.. I loved everything about it but the 50s neck and ended up selling it... But YES its a great combo to have and gives you the best of both worlds..

We must have some similar taste as I actually went in to get a 2009 Nighthawk but they had sold it the day before and it was the last one which is why I ended up with the BFG.. If they ever make a BFG with a 60s neck, I will be first in line :)

Look foward to seeing pics when you get it.. Good job!! :)

Thats a REALLY good choice IMO [thumbup] ... I had a Gary Moore BFG which had a Burstbucker and P90 combo.. I dont often mention them as they are quite radical and not a lot of people liked them.. I loved everything about it but the 50s neck and ended up selling it... But YES its a great combo to have and gives you the best of both worlds..

We must have some similar taste as I actually went in to get a 2009 Nighthawk but they had sold it the day before and it was the last one which is why I ended up with the BFG.. If they ever make a BFG with a 60s neck, I will be first in line :)

Look foward to seeing pics when you get it.. Good job!! :)

Thanks man that's awesome! theres something about a 50's neck though that is incredible to play with and since I'm gonna get the tribute with the 60's neck later on I'll continue to get the best of both worlds from two guitars..a happy medium...seriously I feel like this came together perfectly smile.gif

Yeah we must be thinking along the same line about guitar and tone because the BFG setup is awesome that middle position is so unique...shame you didnt manage to get one when you had the chance hopefully gibson will release more like it. I also prefer that the 498T on the nighthawk is wax-potted compared to the burstbucker 3.

Now begins the wait...msp_cool.gif

Archived