Gibson Brands Forums

2012 LES PAUL STD or 3 x Tributes

neuron

Mate welcome and my vote is for the one trick pony! 2012 Les Paul Standard.

Good Luck

Thanks man but i got me a 2009 Gibson nighthawk with a p90 in the neck and a 498t in the bridge and then later on will get a studio tribute 70's with mini humbucker that way i have a backup guitar and a large tone palette between the two. I think i'd definitely get a 2012 standard in the next couple of years when they get cheaper, used and reviewed. Also why is it that this year for the same money you get all these new features? Are they using lesser woods or something because of the trouble they've recently received with wood sourcing? or is Gibson genuinely giving us an upgrade in value for money? Either way, i will wait a bit for a 2012 and in the meantime im looking forward to my nighthawk!

😃

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

[thumbup] sweet ... Ive now decided to install some kind of humbucker in the bridge position on my LP Double Cut :)

(you should do an audio sample for us, id like to hear that suckker :))

Sweet man thanks I will do a video for you :)

Wow that sounds great.. nice set up you have there. Are you using distortion pedals or is it on the amp?

and some nice playing [thumbup]

thanks buddy :) only a marshall bluesbreaker pedal for a little bit the rest is the amp msp_thumbup.gif

Also nice.. :) I really like the sound of those new Mini Humbuckers.. I had heard the old ones can sound a bit flat.. but those sound FAT :) [thumbup]

yea man definitely fat and awesome. good thing is i left everything the same on the amp so you can hear the pickup differences plus all the other tonal differences.

These two guitars I got me can pretty much cover everything between them and with character aswell!!

what do you think of the quality of sound in the video??

I used the iRig iMic on a pillow on-axis on high sensitivity and the amp was running on stupidly low volume so as to not bother neighbours. I think it worked out pretty good! I could have used the emulated output on the blackstar which is good (better than all the other I heard, even if its pre power amp) but I thought to go for a proper mic it up traditional approach and get some of that Celestion super 8 in there!

yea man definitely fat and awesome. good thing is i left everything the same on the amp so you can hear the pickup differences plus all the other tonal differences.

These two guitars I got me can pretty much cover everything between them and with character aswell!!

what do you think of the quality of sound in the video??

I used the iRig iMic on a pillow on-axis on high sensitivity and the amp was running on stupidly low volume so as to not bother neighbours. I think it worked out pretty good! I could have used the emulated output on the blackstar which is good (better than all the other I heard, even if its pre power amp) but I thought to go for a proper mic it up traditional approach and get some of that Celestion super 8 in there!

It sounds like the mic is distorting just a little bit (even on the clean parts you can hear the bass distorting a bit).. but other than that it sounds good :)

It sounds like the mic is distorting just a little bit (even on the clean parts you can hear the bass distorting a bit).. but other than that it sounds good :)

Ye i noticed that, thanks i'll play around with the sensitivity in the future :)

Hi Minos K,

here are a couple of reviews produced by a retailer called Andertons, here in the U.K. They do some pretty good product reviews, hope this help:

Regards,

Ian.

Hey buddy thank for reply and info..I know these guys I watch their videos all the time they are very funny and good at what they do...

I've already made my decisions though checkout the previous page for pics and videos of what I got.

cheers

Minos

msp_thumbup.gif

Hi Minos K,

here are a couple of reviews produced by a retailer called Andertons, here in the U.K. They do some pretty good product reviews, hope this help:

Regards,

Ian.

I own the one Rob Chapman is using!

I made my own personal changes (Strap Lok's, metal jack, wrap arround tailpiece style & knobs) but its otherwise exactly as he used it...

Its definitely an excellent guitar, it does however have a THIN paint job so you have to be extra careful with it...

I'll be taking it with me this Thursday for the Manchester Gig, should be a nice reunion [biggrin]

Archived