Gibson Brands Forums

Diferences between LP-100 and G400

GilmourFan

The G-400 is definitely the better guitar,the L.P. 100 just doesn't cut it with regards of sound and build quality with its bolt-on neck and even though the G-400 is prone to neck-dive it still has a better all around feel to the neck and fretboard.A guy I know bought a L.P.100 just so he could have a Les Paul but he only had it for about a month before he brought it back and traded it against a set neck L.P. as the bolt-on 100 just didn't have the same sustain or tone quality.

LP-100 is better than LP Special, but not up to Studio level. G400 is good if you like that style guitar. I personally traded my G400 for another LP, and I still have my LP100. It's apples and oranges. If you get a good one, it's great. Maybe I had a really crappy G400, but it just didn't sound right to me. All treble and none of that "meat" that an LP brings. Tone is subjective, quality of build is not. What are you truly after?

+1 on the apples/oranges

I've had a G400 and loved it, but is more treble-y. The LP is going to have the low end, if you want it.

You should really be comparing the G400 and the Epi LP Standard. What sound you are seeking will better dictate which to choose.

I do love that blue finish on some of the LPs. :)

Archived