Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson Mystery

ragtails

Hi all, I have a vintage Gibson archtop mystery, and I would appreciate any helpful knowledge please...

At a glance, it looks to be an L-30/L-37/ or Black Special from the 30's, but the headstock logo is a late 40's post war font.

I see no instrument identification inside, or anywhere else. Seems to be 100% original guitar.

I am by no means a Gibson expert, regardless it's a wonderful guitar in great condition.

See pics)Thanks!

From the one poor photo provided, it looks to be 50's Kay or Harmony with a modified headstock and added Gibson decal logo.

It could also be that it went back to Gibson for work in the 50's or later, and came back with a "new" headstock logo. It's surprising how often Gibson did things like that when instruments were sent it for repair.

But Gibson wouldn´t put a Gibson logo on the guitar if it wheren´t a Gibson guitar would they? I´ve never seen a headstock looking like that on a Gibson,

I´m no Gibson expert at all though :-)

Talk Fender or Ibanez are my territory.

I´m here to learn more about Gibsons though, i´m a relative new owner of a ´65, es120t and have realized how nice vintage Gibsons are.

Hi all, I have a vintage Gibson archtop mystery, and I would appreciate any helpful knowledge please...

At a glance, it looks to be an L-30/L-37/ or Black Special from the 30's, but the headstock logo is a late 40's post war font.

I see no instrument identification inside, or anywhere else. Seems to be 100% original guitar.

I am by no means a Gibson expert, regardless it's a wonderful guitar in great condition.

See pics)Thanks!

Even with the extra pics you've missed the important details.

1. The top contour of the headstock.

2. Full rear of the headstock.

3. Closeup of the neck/body joint.

4. Closeup of the tailpiece.

5. Detail (with contrast) of the truss rod cover area

6. Body dimensions would also be helpful: upper bout, waist, lower bout, depth.

What has me wondering is mostly the logo. I've seen older Gibson logos and that one looks to be newer. I could be wrong though. I've seen older Gibsons with a wider notch at the top so I am not really thinking anything about that. Mostly my concern is the logo.

Are there any numbers on the inside of the guitar? If not on the inner back can you work a dental or mechanic mirror inside and have a look around???

• 2 weeks later...

Archived