Gibson Brands Forums

can't help second thoughts - HELP!

Jesse-kun

hi, i'm kind of new here and i want to ask a very simple comparison question :

which of these guitars do you think is better? sound, pups, finish, etc

an Epiphone 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Standard

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/50th-Anniversary-1960-Les-Paul-Standard/Specs.aspx

or an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus/Specs.aspx

the genre of music i play is more on alternative rock, i also play a bit of blues and jazz. and i'm only 18 years old and have been playing guitar for 5 months.

i tried to find the right judgement but cannot find a good comparison review on the net. so i need help choosing. i think they are both very good guitars, but i want to hear opinions of experienced guitar players.

advance thank you for replying :)

They are both very nice Epiphone LPs, both have Gibson USA pickups (although slightly different ones)...,killer looks, and a hard Maple cap (unlike the cheeper epi LPs)..

I honestly can't say one is better than the other. However the tribute plus comes with a slim 60's taper neck profile and the the 1960 comes with a choice of a 1960's neck or the fatter 1950's neck profile....you will simply have to try them out to see which neck is most comfortable for you.

Oh yeh, and they have different tuners one has grovers

Tuners.jpg

and the other has klusons

kluson_dblline_dblring_1_wm.jpg

I personally would go for the Tribute if I was playing the same styles as you, mainly because the 50th anniversary isn't available in any colors I really like (the Darkburst is ok, but M. Saphire and Ebony are gorgeous from close up). I also prefer the Slimtaper D neck to the fatter 50's D, it's more comfy in my opinion - so the choice makes no difference to me (if you are a newbie, the Slimtaper is easier to get around by far). Both come with Gibby USA pups, I think the Classics are a bit lower output than the BBs but that probably suits your style more. Besides, the Tribute comes with series/parallel switching, which I don't think the anniversary offers.

In short: Looks wise I prefer the tribute, but that is all up to preference. Hardware wise, for the type of music you want, I think the tribute has the edge. Quality wise, they will be more or less the same - top of the line Epi means you can expect excellent quality either way.

personally i would go for the 50th anniversary but that is because the kluson tuners add class to a LP but thats just my opinion, both these guitars ooze with mojo and have slightly different features, i like the coil splitt idea of the tribute, damnit why do you have to make it such a hard call? :D

I personally would go for the Tribute if I was playing the same styles as you, mainly because the 50th anniversary isn't available in any colors I really like (the Darkburst is ok, but M. Saphire and Ebony are gorgeous from close up). I also prefer the Slimtaper D neck to the fatter 50's D, it's more comfy in my opinion - so the choice makes no difference to me (if you are a newbie, the Slimtaper is easier to get around by far). Both come with Gibby USA pups, I think the Classics are a bit lower output than the BBs but that probably suits your style more. Besides, the Tribute comes with series/parallel switching, which I don't think the anniversary offers.

In short: Looks wise I prefer the tribute, but that is all up to preference. Hardware wise, for the type of music you want, I think the tribute has the edge. Quality wise, they will be more or less the same - top of the line Epi means you can expect excellent quality either way.

thank you very much. very well said. i think i would go for the tribute (as you said) it fits my style. and i'm kind of newbie when it comes to choosing guitars. and i kind of got hooked to the coil-splitting knowing i could never afford a USA Fender Mustang with single coils. so putting that in mind i pre-ordered mine in my country. :)

thank you very much. very well said. i think i would go for the tribute (as you said) it fits my style. and i'm kind of newbie when it comes to choosing guitars. and i kind of got hooked to the coil-splitting knowing i could never afford a USA Fender Mustang with single coils. so putting that in mind i pre-ordered mine in my country. :)

Very good indeed! Make sure to post some pics when she arrives, the folks around here love guitar pr0n (myself included). I'm sure you'll love it. I don't own one myself, but everyone here seems to agree that the tribute is one of the finest LPs Epi has put out to date.

I bought a tribute plus a few months ago as my first electric guitar, and I just love it. It looks incredible to me, and the variety of sounds it can produce is pretty impressive. And they recently had a considerable price reduction as well. In my opinion the best € 500 I've ever spent :)

The absolute best Les Paul that I ever played-bar none was an Epi 1960 Tribute with the slim neck,it was a ringer for the real McCoy and an absolute joy to play-the neck felt so unbelieveably comfortable in my hands that it felt like it was made to order.If I hadn't bought 4 guitars and a couple of amps in the previous 3 months I would have jumped on it-for just over one grand,it was a gift.

I honestly can't say one is better than the other. However the tribute plus comes with a slim 60's taper neck profile and the the 1960 comes with a choice of a 1960's neck or the fatter 1950's neck profile....you will simply have to try them out to see which neck is most comfortable for you.

Dude, They are both great, but at the end of the day you're the one playing it, so you need to try each one and see which one feels like home when you pick it up. Either way, you cant go wrong.

I really like the neck on my tribute plus. It's asymmetrical and changes as you move down towards the body of the guitar. After playing that guitar for weeks and then switching to another, it takes time to get used to it. My vote is tribute plus for sound/looks/build quality.

Archived