Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 TV or standard

quapman

Hey folks,,, just curious,, I have read over and over on this forum how it is worth everyone's effort to save up the extra and go for the True Vintage... I'm curious why you would say that.

Mostly because I have never compared them back to back. I didn't have the option when I bought my standard. In fact I wasn't even shopping for a standard nor did I even know what a J-45 was.

It was my pursuit of a quality acoustic that led me there.

That said.....

I have read alot of reviews on the quality inconsistency of the J-45 since I bought mine. Does that hold true for the TV?

When I bought my standard it was the only one(j45) in my small dealer to compare it to. But when comparing it to every other guitar on the shelf, it kept me coming back. The sound of it was second to none in the price range on the wall at the time. Maybe I got lucky but,,,,.

I loved it's sound. So much that I have a hard time believing that I could get any better sound by saving up the extra money and ordering a TV sight unseen/unheard.

So other than the adriondack top and the bracing,, what makes it any better?

Check out the thread in this forum 'Planning to buy a J45'. I asked the similar question and this community responded! Maybe those responses will help you too! I do recommend going to your local dealer and playing the instrument. That is what I did. When I kept coming back to the J45 TV I was sold on that one. So, in a way, the J45 True Vintage selected me!

Here's a diret comparisement.

Basically the difference is the tone. Personally I find the TV to have a more open, alive tone while the standard a bit more of a nasal tone, not quite as a live as the TV.

My standard response: It all comes down to the individual guitar.

I've related numerous times in the past my experiences with these two models. We have a 5 star dealer here in town that keeps a lot of stock on hand providing me with quite a few opportunities to compare the two over the past few years. No doubt that the TVs appeal to me (I own one), but I've actually encountered Standards that were the best of the bunch on that given visit. So in my mind the TV model is no silver bullet. I would never give up a guitar that I was really happy with in order to order another one sight unseen that "should" be "better". It sounds to me like you found a great J-45.

That's the thing about internet forums, you can read all of the glowing reviews others write about their guitars and start wondering if what you have is up to snuff. But keep in mind that we're all looking for something different out of an instrument and if you were to play my guitar or the next persons you might find them not quite to your liking given your preferences. Naturally everyone is excited about the instruments that they've just purchased, or are wanting to purchase, which is how it should be. But you've already had a chance to compare your J-45 against other guitars and it came out on top. That should be worth quite a bit of peace of mind.

Naturally everyone is excited about the instruments that they've just purchased, or are wanting to purchase, which is how it should be. But you've already had a chance to compare your J-45 against other guitars and it came out on top. That should be worth quite a bit of peace of mind.

Good point and as much as I love the sound of my SJ-200 and couldn't imagine being any happier with the tone and volume I have not had the opportunity to make A/B comparisons with other SJ-200's. That being said I am happy that I don't have to worry about ever making that comparison since the closest Gibson dealer is a 4 hour drive away. I can't imagine ever wanting a better sounding SJ-200 but maybe I'm just too easy to please or I got extremely lucky. In either case I'm a very happy man!

If you love your J45 then hang onto it and enjoy. Yes, the TV's are consistently good .... I've played a few and never played a bad one. I love the one TV I own and I'm looking forward to owning another but you love your J45! It's a problem that doesn't need to be fixed. I say this because I sold my J45 that I loved to my buddy to upgrade. Now I only have visiting rights and I've decided that it is the sweetest sounding J45 I've ever owned. I was/am happy but I don't have the J45 that I loved.

So buy one of each if you can but otherwise .... "love the one you're with".

My standard response: It all comes down to the individual guitar.

I've related numerous times in the past my experiences with these two models. We have a 5 star dealer here in town that keeps a lot of stock on hand providing me with quite a few opportunities to compare the two over the past few years. No doubt that the TVs appeal to me (I own one), but I've actually encountered Standards that were the best of the bunch on that given visit. So in my mind the TV model is no silver bullet. I would never give up a guitar that I was really happy with in order to order another one sight unseen that "should" be "better". It sounds to me like you found a great J-45.

That's the thing about internet forums, you can read all of the glowing reviews others write about their guitars and start wondering if what you have is up to snuff. But keep in mind that we're all looking for something different out of an instrument and if you were to play my guitar or the next persons you might find them not quite to your liking given your preferences. Naturally everyone is excited about the instruments that they've just purchased, or are wanting to purchase, which is how it should be. But you've already had a chance to compare your J-45 against other guitars and it came out on top. That should be worth quite a bit of peace of mind.

Thanks Guth,, that is the most common sense post I have heard in a while. I totally agree.

And JDD707,,, lol,, love your story,, and I agree,, love the one your with.. that's awesome man.

Maybe I just got lucky and got at good one...but I don't hear anything "nasal" about the sound of mine. It's crisp and clear and the tone is amazing.

I think I will love the one I'm with. Although guitar polygamy is still morally acceptable so if I can afford to love more than one I would like to....lol.

Thanks guys.

If you've got a good guitar, enjoy it and don't let all the crap on the internet pull you down. Every single Gibson is different. To tell you the truth, no matter how damn good your J45 is, I don't want it to be like my J45. Mine is the one that fits me, and no matter how good you and God thinks your's sounds, my J45 is still "me". If you want a high-dollar, cookie-cutter, seen-one-you've-seen-them-all guitar, there are plenty of them out there, but they won't be Gibsons. And in all sincerity, if you get yourself wrapped-up in all the pros/cons of different woods, you will literally never be satisfied with the guitar you purchase, because someone will ALWAYS think a different wood combination sounds better.

Here's exactly how I look at it. This is simply my opinion. It does not necessarily make me right and someone else wrong...BUT, if you have a good Gibson, you don't have a problem. Someone else does.........

Here's a diret comparisement.

Basically the difference is the tone. Personally I find the TV to have a more open, alive tone while the standard a bit more of a nasal tone, not quite as a live as the TV.

The reviewer seems to favor the TV. Sounds a little better to me too. Being lighter weight & Mad.Rosewood as well would cinch it for me.

Archived