Gibson Brands Forums

Rivera Chubster

TarHeelKid

I've had Rivera-designed Fender Twin Reverb II combos as my #1 amp since the mid-80s. I'm on my 2nd one now. Incredible clean sound, and perfect Robben Ford 'Talk to your Daughter'-era dist tones on the drive channel with the mid-boost. Wonderful amplifier. He designed the whole of the early 80s range then the red-knob Twin. I'd love any Rivera I could get my hands on, even the one with (cough) 'ninja boost'...one of the USAs finest amp designers IMO.

I like his amps because they aren't like anything else out there and he veers far from the copycats. None of his amps are hyped-up Marshall clones.

The only shortcomings for ME are their controls. I tend to dig single-channel amps (or at least an amp with one set of EQ controls). But if I wanted an amp with a bunch of the fancy stuff, I would go to either Rivera or Hughes & Kettner. They easily beat out Mesa in that department IMHO. (unless you want the Mesa tones, which I don't).

I bet the distortion is nice n' "chubby"!

I traded my USA Standard Strat, that had sat in the case for a long time because of these dang Gibson's, for a Rivera Chubster combo. This amp is NASTY! It has crazy amounts of tone options. Are all Rivera's this awesome?

Ummm, yes they are.

I have a Rivera Bonehead that is amazing--incredibly loud, but still amazing! The KTRE is pretty cool too...

Archived