Gibson Brands Forums

Furniture Anyone?

merseybeat1963

I love furniture and this is a nice thing to put next to your music stand & chair.

Its hard to tell from the pictures but if it is in reasonably good condition & if done well,its being given away. (Baker quality is not consistant)

Its not a magazine rack nor walnut ..etc.

It is a Canterbury made of mahagony reproduced by Baker from an original that is in a Stately Home in UK selected by Sir Humphrey Wakefield.

The original is an Irish masterpiece & really best of type..and was made aprox 1740-55.

I bought/ordered one of these about 1992 and it cost a hefty $2600 (at nearly half off retail)..in 1992 dollars..big difference to 2012 dollars. We put it next to the piano in living room.

Then got a second really dark one that looks more Irish Georgian about 1999 from a Baker Outlet for $2k plus shipping, which is usually next to my music stand to use with guitar.

Its in Chicago & am unsure due to pictures but that seems like flash effect & Id bet its excellent. A proper go over by a good furniture guy (1/2 hr) and a good polish in English wax & if its as nice as ours,you got something that belongs in a museum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Fine-Hand-Carved-Baker-Furniture-Magazine-Rack-Canterbury-Box-/390435905485?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D256992138683272314%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26#ht_3698wt_1165

i thought this was the gibson guitar forum , i seem to have wandered into the womens institute friday tea party

sorry to interrupt

as you were ladies

This a guitar "accessory" if you hadn't noticed : )

Also you might consider that if you were the only guy with guitar, invited to such a tea party .. it might be quite a pleasent experience...sounds like a good business.

Anyway over the years Ive noticed its usually not chicks that get down into the nitty gritty of 300 year old carved furnture ..and its all about as gay as a nice handmade L5 or D45. : )

This a guitar "accessory" if you hadn't noticed : )

Also you might consider that if you were the only guy with guitar, invited to such a tea party .. it might be quite a pleasent experience...sounds like a good business.

Anyway over the years Ive noticed its usually not chicks that get down into the nitty gritty of 300 year old carved furnture ..and its all about as gay as a nice handmade L5 or D45. : )

haha , its all good, i never mentioned 'gay' though, dont be putting things in my mouth

if it IS a guitar stand/accessory though i cant see it, its a really impractical one :-)

haha , its all good, i never mentioned 'gay' though, dont be putting things in my mouth

if it IS a guitar stand/accessory though i cant see it, its a really impractical one :-)

Well noted..

Before that thing my music books were laying all over the floor..cause I have such a **** memory I cant remember the words (and chords ecchh!) of songs so I figure out tunes make notations & write out all the words. Ive got books & papers& books & papers..

My wife would say pick up your books..Id say Im gonna use them tomorrow.. so of course there is a tomorrow every next day so it would only get picked up once a year (Christmas)

Now ... its all nice & neat side ways..plus the thing is pretty sizey & fits a lot of books...I just reach down ...seeing it yet.. : )

(Truth of the matter is I just dig wood)

All the best

That one surprised me merseybeat1963 -

But I can see it full of these* tpbiiiscapos.jpg

and some strings

and a few tin-boxes with pins and picks

and 7 inch single with Country Joe and The Fish

and the polisher in a crystal bottle

and some slide tubes

and. . . .

*tpbiii's collection – hope he doesn't mind me loading the impressing bunch -

That one surprised me merseybeat1963 -

But I can see it full of these* tpbiiiscapos.jpg

and some strings

and a few tin-boxes with pins and picks

and 7 inch single with Country Joe and The Fish

and the polisher in a crystal bottle

and some slide tubes

and. . . .

You must still have a decent memory.. I don't see any books.

*tpbiii's collection – hope he doesn't mind me loading the impressing bunch -

You must still have a decent memory.. I don't see any books.

I'm not sure the thing exactly rocks, , , , but if one look underneath those lion feet, it'll definitely roll. . . . .

Ouhh yea books. . . . .

A little Kerouac and Keats.

A private note book for ideas and nothing but ink.

'How Not To Mess Up My Truss Rod'.

'Chords From A to Letters You Haven't Even Heard Of'.

And a stack of French 1920's postcards held together by 1940's twine.

Archived