Gibson Brands Forums

Pick guard issue

ant7629

Hi all

I have just had my pick guard fitted to my new 08 LP. I took it to a professional luthier, whom I have taken all of my guitars to over the years.

However, after getting it home I have noticed that the pick guard isn't flush with the neck binding as it should be. There is a gap. It fits around the pickups ok though:

CIMG0602-1.jpg

Is this a common problem or should I be taking it back to the dealer?

it looks like though it could be a case of the binding not being true...i dont mean real...just truly straight...i think your luthier had to make a choice on what to square up with and he chose to fit it with the overall look of the guitar...where did you get the pickguard from??

it could be the pickguard v. the way he set it...i think it looks pretty good...if it bothers you that much...maybe switch out the guard with another using his screw holes to see if you can get a better fit...i have a studio LP and i just recently took off my pickguard...i couldnt imagine putting it back to be that difficult...good luck

it looks like though it could be a case of the binding not being true...i dont mean real...just truly straight...i think your luthier had to make a choice on what to square up with and he chose to fit it with the overall look of the guitar...where did you get the pickguard from??

it could be the pickguard v. the way he set it...i think it looks pretty good...if it bothers you that much...maybe switch out the guard with another using his screw holes to see if you can get a better fit...i have a studio LP and i just recently took off my pickguard...i couldnt imagine putting it back to be that difficult...good luck

Thanks. If the binding isn't true, would this be covered under warranty?

hmmmmmmmm...the only other thing i can think of then is to try another guard...maybe that particular guard is a little off...a lot can go wrong with plastic i would imagine...they are cheap enough too...but again...thats only if it truly is driving you nuts...which it appears to be doing!

haha

i hope you figure this out...it would suck to not be 100% satisfied with a brand new guitar!

you deserve to be happy with it!

hmmmmmmmm...the only other thing i can think of then is to try another guard...maybe that particular guard is a little off...a lot can go wrong with plastic i would imagine...they are cheap enough too...but again...thats only if it truly is driving you nuts...which it appears to be doing!

haha

i hope you figure this out...it would suck to not be 100% satisfied with a brand new guitar!

you deserve to be happy with it!

Thanks. I suppose a lot of other people would live with it, but after spending £1500 on it, I want it to be 100% if you know what I mean.....

Hi all

I have just had my pick guard fitted to my new 08 LP. I took it to a professional luthier' date=' whom I have taken all of my guitars to over the years.

However, after getting it home I have noticed that the pick guard isn't flush with the neck binding as it should be. There is a gap. It fits around the pickups ok though:

[img']http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/ant7629/CIMG0602-1.jpg[/img]

Is this a common problem or should I be taking it back to the dealer?

I think you are nit picking.... Looks like a good job to me. Here is a pic of my factory installed guard on my classic... Yours looks better!! Have you checked you volume pots to see if they all work?

pickguard.jpg

about whether or not the binding is covered??

to be honest i wouldnt think so...its not like its made from carbon fiber or something they would have more control over...wood is a funny thing...they could easily argue that due to storage conditions on your part the wood warped...im not saying they would but they could argue that...in my opinion if it sounds great and the neck is comfortable...keep the guard on...i have a studio that came with the guard and i took it off because of the finish...(its a worn cherry) and i liked the look of the lp without it...more of a vintage vibe...

the issue with keeping the guard off in your case is the finish...the hole from the guard would stand out more with the extra four pounds of paint your guitar has over mine...i say just keep it on...and after a scratch or two you'll forget about the misalignment...its like when you get a new car and baby it until it gets a ding or two...or a new cell phone for that matter!

anyways sorry i couldnt provide any answers

I think you are nit picking.... Looks like a good job to me. Here is a pic of my factory installed guard on my classic... Yours looks better!! Have you checked you volume pots to see if they all work?

pickguard.jpg

Well Dave' date=' that makes me feel a lot better! Seriously. If that is a factory fitted example, then I guess I am nit picking! default_eusa_wall.gif

Technically speaking, the pickguard should NOT touch the neck. It would create a problem of expansion/contraction of dissimilar materials, and could be a rattle/squeak problem and also affect the resonance of the guitar.

This is very important on archtop style guitars, and maybe not so important on solid bodies, but the general engineering design concept should hold true for any instrument.

Technically speaking' date=' the pickguard should NOT touch the neck. It would create a problem of expansion/contraction of dissimilar materials, and could be a rattle/squeak problem and also affect the resonance of the guitar.

This is very important on archtop style guitars, and maybe not so important on solid bodies, but the general engineering design concept should hold true for any instrument. [/quote']

Interesting.... The guard on my custom is right on it... No gap at all on the neck or pickups...

Customguard.jpg

Technically speaking' date=' the pickguard should NOT touch the neck. It would create a problem of expansion/contraction of dissimilar materials, and could be a rattle/squeak problem and also affect the resonance of the guitar.

This is very important on archtop style guitars, and maybe not so important on solid bodies, but the general engineering design concept should hold true for any instrument. [/quote']

That is interesting. I wonder if Gibson has purposely done this as the new 08 LP is heavily chambered...hence more like an archtop than a solid bodied guitar....

Archived