Gibson Brands Forums

Here is a question for the electronicaly inclined

Sinner 13

So instead of springing for a strat, I was considering coil tapping the neck pickup on my SG (4 conductor Duncan SH2).

I know it wont sound exactly like a strat, but that's cool.

Is there a way to wire it up so I can switch top coil on/standard HB mode/ bottom coil on?

I love the way it sounds for rockin out, but occasionally I like to get all slow and bluesy, plus I would like to add some versatility because it is a awesome player, and I would prefer not to have to explain to the wife why I need to drop the money for another guitar just for a specific tonality.

what would I need for a micro switch?(I despise push/pull pots, I find them highly inconvenient) And I dont mind putting an extra hole in the control cavity.

You could do it with a on/off/on DPDT mini switch. I don't think there's a lot of point to being able to pick one coil or the other as there won't be that big a tonal difference between the two.

A better way to get some interesting single coil type sounds out of your 4 wire humbucker is to use a on/on/on DPDT mini switch and wire it up so that your options are as follows...

1. Series - Links the two coils together in the normal humbucker mode.

2. Single coil - Kills one coil to give a single coil sound

3. Parallel - Links the two coils together in a Fendery way like the "4" and "2" positions on a Strat.

This systems give you three very different sounds that are more noticeable to more gain you through at it.

You could do it with a on/off/on DPDT mini switch. I don't think there's a lot of point to being able to pick one coil or the other as there won't be that big a tonal difference between the two.

A better way to get some interesting single coil type sounds out of your 4 wire humbucker is to use a on/on/on DPDT mini switch and wire it up so that your options are as follows...

1. Series - Links the two coils together in the normal humbucker mode.

2. Single coil - Kills one coil to give a single coil sound

3. Parallel - Links the two coils together in a Fendery way like the "4" and "2" positions on a Strat.

This systems give you three very different sounds that are more noticeable to more gain you through at it.

That is the answer I was looking for i just wasn't sure about how to word the question.

Thank you!

Coil Tapping will get you a single coil tone, but not a Strat tone. "Strat-like" perhaps, but you'll be hard pressed to find that classic "Bell Tone" from anything but a pickup that's been wound to sound like a Strat. My Nighthawk has a coil tap in the bridge pick up, and while it sound's "Tele-like", it's nowhere near a real Tele's bridge pickup.

So it depends on how badly you really want that Strat tone. Heck, even SRV's Hamiltone doesn't get the tone his Strats get.

All that said, I Love the sound of my Coiltapped Nighthawk and the versatility is incredible. You won't regret coil tapping.

Coil Tapping will get you a single coil tone, but not a Strat tone. "Strat-like" perhaps, but you'll be hard pressed to find that classic "Bell Tone" from anything but a pickup that's been wound to sound like a Strat. My Nighthawk has a coil tap in the bridge pick up, and while it sound's "Tele-like", it's nowhere near a real Tele's bridge pickup.

So it depends on how badly you really want that Strat tone. Heck, even SRV's Hamiltone doesn't get the tone his Strats get.

All that said, I Love the sound of my Coiltapped Nighthawk and the versatility is incredible. You won't regret coil tapping.

I understand that, and the way I am going I will probably do both pickups, series/single/parallel.

Now I am going to have to stuff it all in an SG control cavity. DOH!

I understand that, and the way I am going I will probably do both pickups, series/single/parallel.

Now I am going to have to stuff it all in an SG control cavity. DOH!

Wait a second. If we're gonna do both pickups we'll run into some phasing issues. I'll draw that out too so you can see how the neck and bridge switched will have to be wired a bit different.

Wait a second. If we're gonna do both pickups we'll run into some phasing issues. I'll draw that out too so you can see how the neck and bridge switched will have to be wired a bit different.

Okey Dokey..

I still have to go buy the switches and wire, so no rush.

I Just want the SG to be as flexible as possible, as I won't be buying and substantial amounts of gear for a while, not that I really need any.

I have some other things in life at the moment that are top of the list.

SeriesSingleParalleNeckBridgel.jpg

I hear ya .

I'm currently trying to do all the little projects I've been wanting to do for a while. Thus the Kalamazoo amp rebuild and the StetsBar install and a few other mods on my SG.

SeriesSingleParalleNeckBridgel.jpg

I hear ya .

I'm currently trying to do all the little projects I've been wanting to do for a while. Thus the Kalamazoo amp rebuild and the StetsBar install and a few other mods on my SG.

Yeah I am still scratching my head as too how I am gonna fit it all in there.....[blink]

It is tight inside an SG.

Control%20Cavity%20(2).jpg

But I think there's room for two mini switches.

Or you can go with the more stealthy idea mentioned before by Btoth76. Although I'm not a big fan of mounting rings on an SG it is a cool idea.

triple_shot_ring_blk_crm.jpg

It is tight inside an SG.

Control%20Cavity%20%282%29.jpg

But I think there's room for two mini switches.

Or you can go with the more stealthy idea mentioned before. Although I'm not a big fan of mounting rings on an SG.

triple_shot_ring_blk_crm.jpg

The Mounting rings

A.suck, tried a guitar with em', to tiny to switch up on the fly.

B. my SG is Pick guard mount.

I got full size Orange drops in there too. So space is a premium....

I'm sure we can figure something out. Gotta picture or the victim?

Same as you posted basically, except I got full size caps, I have a spare set of em' in the parts box.

I was thinking if Rotate the pots so they lugs face each other the switches will fit and I'll just run longer legs on the caps.

temporary-12.jpg

Archived