Gibson Brands Forums

J-50 love continued....

ParlourMan

Played a gig last night, had some PA issues so we had to go a bit brut-force with the amps... a good few comments on the J-50 and how it sounds great etc... It just gets better and better that guitar. I love it.

Incidentally, we got shut down by the police, so the place had to produce the paperwork etc... then they wanted to hear how loud we were, so we serenaded the popo with this little ditty whilst playing rather quietly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMIYjQFBoU

Satisfied we weren't too loud they left, we turned up and continued.... ;)

Congs – being shut down by the police is a feather in any rock hat and gives membership to the Fab-4 Savile Row 3 Rooftop Society – a very distinguished lounge.

I recall being interrupted during a concert in a hip cellar club in the mid-80's. We had 1 to 1 video of ourselves thrown against us while playing and everything cooked when suddenly half the lights went on as 3 or 4 uniformed officers had to pass the band to get back-stage where corridors formed a labyrinth. The ideal opportunity to make a funky show stunt.

And that J-50 seems to get really real.

Never got busted by the cops for playin', but did get thrown out of the auditions for the 1967 Mississippi Folk Festival for doing Buffy St. Marie's "Cod'ine". "We don't want songs about drugs", the lady said after they stopped me. Of course, half the audition songs people were doing were about drugs: the judges just weren't smart enough to know it.

So I tuned back up (used to do "Cod'ine" in open D) and did a nice innocent Jimmy Reed blues. They still thought it was a bit too risque. Think they were looking for Peter, Paul, and Mary doing "If I had a Hammer". [biggrin]

The other performers liked my stuff, though.

Archived