Gibson Brands Forums

Tuners Plastic Buttons vs. "Pearl" Buttons

hooper2

Proud new owner of a 2004 Gibson J45 Cherry Burst. Love love love it!!! The tuners on it are Klusons with plastic buttons (which are fine). I happen to have an extra set of Kluson with pearl buttons hanging around from my 1997 Les Paul that I put Grovers on.

My question is, should I change out the plastic ones for the pearl ones? Would it be purely aesthetic? Or would the added weight make any tonal difference?

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

The oval plastic buttons would be the original-style tuners. Changing the tuners will make absolutely no difference in the sound. Most people don't like heavy tuners, particularly if you're using a strap attached to the neck block. Big Grovers, in particular, can make a guitar headstock-heavy, and you can find yourself constantly adjusting the guitar to make up for it. I would be surprised to see a significant weight difference based on the buttons, as most of the mass of the tuners is in the metal parts.

Great looking guitar.

s

(I might add it looks nearly identical in finish to my cherry sunburst 2006 Custom Shop J-45 1964 Reissue, except yours has a stationary bridge, mine has an adjustable bridge...retro to 1964 also its time period pickguard. Mine has the same white button tuners,too ...for authenticity. Keepers for sure!)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I like the way they make these with the "pre-faded" look. The original cherry burst used dyes that faded pretty severely with UV exposure, but frankly, that's a plus. When Gibson re-topped my old J-45 in 1968, it came back with a bright cherryburst top, which I stripped to natural (J-50 style) about a year later. Once faded, however, these 60's cherrybursts look really nice, like this one.

Very nice guitar.

Are the "pearl" tuner buttons actually MOP? or pearloid, i.e. plastic made to look like MOP?

I'd stick with the ones what came with it, personally, but it's your guit tar. Do as you like.

Archived