Gibson Brands Forums

McCartney and Springsteen jam last night

heymisterk

Guest farnsbarns

yeah man it doesn't look like any power was cut at all except to dude's camera.

The sound was cut. There's been a right hoo-hah about it. Even Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, has waded in.

Guest farnsbarns

Also, the cops had nothing to do with it, the decision was made by the promoter, Hyde Park Calling/Live Nation, to cut the sound at 9 minutes over time as there is a huge fine but a 10 minute grace period. Frankly, I don't blame them.

While I am an advocate of Boris Johnson I think he is wrong to have come out and said, "You should have rung me, I'd have told them to play on". What a load of bull, as if he'd have taken a call from a concert promoter at 10.30 at night, even if they did know his number, or think it appropriate to call, and what message does that send out to other promoters, has he just greyed the line. What should local authorities do, issue fines, allow anarchy, or something in between?

Also, the cops had nothing to do with it, the decision was made by the promoter, Hyde Park Calling/Live Nation, to cut the sound at 9 minutes over time as there is a huge fine but a 10 minute grace period. Frankly, I don't blame them.

While I am an advocate of Boris Johnson I think he is wrong to have come out and said, "You should have rung me, I'd have told them to play on". What a load of bull, as if he'd have taken a call from a concert promoter at 10.30 at night, even if they did know his number, or think it appropriate to call, and what message does that send out to other promoters, has he just greyed the line. What should local authorities do, issue fines, allow anarchy, or something in between?

Something in between.. I havent seen any footage of what actually happened but if they were cut off mid tune, they should at least allow them to finish the song (provided they dont take advantage and then decided to have a 20min jam).. A lot of songs are no longer than 5-6 mins long.. Would it really hurt just to let them finish what they are doing?

Oh wait, that would require some kind of logic and common sense.. lol (which seems to be lacking these days).

And as for Boris... Phaaaa!! I dont really care one way or another, but both him and Ken are media tarts.. they will say what they think people want to hear so maybe they get voted in again next time..

Guest farnsbarns

Something in between.. I havent seen any footage of what actually happened but if they were cut off mid tune, they should at least allow them to finish the song (provided they dont take advantage and then decided to have a 20min jam).. A lot of songs are no longer than 5-6 mins long.. Would it really hurt just to let them finish what they are doing?

Oh wait, that would require some kind of logic and common sense.. lol (which seems to be lacking these days).

And as for Boris... Phaaaa!! I dont really care one way or another, but both him and Ken are media tarts.. they will say what they think people want to hear so maybe they get voted in again next time..

Actually that's what they did, they managed to cut the last few seconds off but that's because it was a long, drawn out outro that restarted several times, hard to judge but they started that song after the official curfew.

Actually that's what they did, they managed to cut the last few seconds off but that's because it was a long, drawn out outro that restarted several times, hard to judge but they started that song after the official curfew.

Well that sounds reasonable to me then :)

Ive only seen the headlines but the way Bruce is going on youd think they cut half his set off and told him to F off the stage... lol

Oh well maybe common sense did prevail in this case [thumbup]

Instead it just sounds like a bruised ego... Macca is probably just used to it :)

Why didn't they just follow the rules of the contract that was signed? We have outdoor concert rules we follow here in Independence and Lee's Summit, Mo. At 10:00pm it's over. The nearest neighborhood is 4-5 blocks away, but those are the rules. You keep track of the time and at 7-8 mintues before 10:00pm, you simply say, "thanks for being here and this is my last song." Surely people like Springsteen and McCartney have done a couple of outdoor venue in their careers, where there are rules that their management and the promoters agree to, and the crowd is aware of when the concert is expected to end. Okay, it was Springsteen and McCartney, but so what? They and their staff/crew/managers/promoters, etc agreed to the rules, so they should follow them. Besides, there are people who live in the vicinity who have their lives directly impacted by an outdoor music concert and they're expecting, perhaps needing for the music and related noises to end at the agreed-to time....Even at the low level of noise and talent we play at, we are aware of the many people who can hear us, but chose not come to a concert.

Guest farnsbarns

Why didn't they just follow the rules of the contract that was signed? We have outdoor concert rules we follow here in Independence and Lee's Summit, Mo. At 10:00pm it's over. The nearest neighborhood is 4-5 blocks away, but those are the rules. You keep track of the time and at 7-8 mintues before 10:00pm, you simply say, "thanks for being here and this is my last song." Surely people like Springsteen and McCartney have done a couple of outdoor venue in their careers, where there are rules that their management and the promoters agree to, and the crowd is aware of when the concert is expected to end. Okay, it was Springsteen and McCartney, but so what? They and their staff/crew/managers/promoters, etc agreed to the rules, so they should follow them. Besides, there are people who live in the vicinity who have their lives directly impacted by an outdoor music concert and they're expecting, perhaps needing for the music and related noises to end at the agreed-to time....Even at the low level of noise and talent we play at, we are aware of the many people who can hear us, but chose not come to a concert.

Here here.

Archived