Gibson Brands Forums

Colosi pins and saddle

dchristo

I just put Bob Colosi bone pins and saddle in my J-45 TV. the TV is suppose to be bone but the one I got from is a lot heavier and if you tap on it, it has a pinging sound while the original has a clickey plastic sound

I put the pins in first...I think I could hear a little difference, but it could be my imagination

then I installed the saddle...I could tell more difference ( mostly louder ) and balanced

I made a short recording of before, with pins and with pins and saddle

Ill get the video up later

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

looks fantastic mate!! [thumbup]

also absolutely adore the grain on ur TV - slightly jealous as a 'standard' J45 owner

im about to order some Colosi gear also - will post an update with pics and sound samples (before and after)

uve now convinced me to get the vintage pins

EXCITED

I just put Bob Colosi bone pins and saddle in my J-45 TV. the TV is suppose to be bone but the one I got from is a lot heavier and if you tap on it, it has a pinging sound while the original has a clickey plastic sound

I put the pins in first...I think I could hear a little difference, but it could be my imagination

then I installed the saddle...I could tell more difference ( mostly louder ) and balanced

I made a short recording of before, with pins and with pins and saddle

Ill get the video up later

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

Ive heard a recording by a guy on here maybe 3 weeks ago or so & he did a very good direct comparison & it was dead obvious.

The comparison was between bone or Tusk & Mammoth Ivory.

I was told yesterday that the bone saddles today for the most part are bleached to look white which dries the oils out of the pores or something and is not as good.

Yeah, and the brown of the new vintage bone treatment is rather prettier in truth.

The color of these doesn't photograph well at all. I have several sets of his new vintage bone pins, and they're all different, and in person don't look much like they do in the photos I've taken.

i meant the collositimy bag was a load of crap ,

the pins look fantastic i think .

am thinking of going bone on mine all round , only thing is , i love the sound of it now , will bone just enhance what i have ? dont want it going all overtoney like a lowden on me .

i meant the collositimy bag was a load of crap ,

the pins look fantastic i think .

am thinking of going bone on mine all round , only thing is , i love the sound of it now , will bone just enhance what i have ? dont want it going all overtoney like a lowden on me .

The changes are usually pretty subtle to most people's ears, but they can be significant. The good thing is that it's a cheap experiment: about the same cost as a few sets of strings--and its completely reversible, if you are just doing the pins and/or saddle, which most believe are the two places where changed tone is most obvious.

It's a great, non-intrusive way to experiment with the tone character of your guitar, along with strings and picks.

I think every guitar has a unique set of component combinations that will bring out the best in the instrument. The search for that combination is one of the joys of owning a quality guitar.

Archived