Gibson Brands Forums

Where can I get my new Epiphone "plecked" ?

crust

I am getting another Epiphone guitar and want to have it set up as perfectly as possible. Any authorized Epiphone dealers do the pleck machine setup upgrade? Any recommendations ?

Hey, Crust ...

I did a quick Google search for PLEK services in the Boston area, and it looks like the closest one to you in in New York. This is from the official PLEK website ... and I have no idea how current it is.

Now, a lot of guys "poo-poo" the entire process as a big money-grab and will tell you that a good set-up/fret dressing will get you the same result as PLEK'ing. I say that anyone who speaks badly of a PLEK'd guitar neck has NEVER PLAYED a PLEK'd guitar neck! Simply put: there is nothing quite like it!

Here's the other rub: plan on spending a couple of hundred bucks to have it done! Based on the model/price of your new Epi, it's going to cost you a good percentage of the guitar itself. You may want to try the set-up/fret dress route first. If you do decide to PLEK, I promise you that you will NOT be disappointed!

Jim

Thanks. NYC. OK. $300 or so...hmm I better save a little more.

doesn't effect warrantee ?

Can I send my Epiphone to Gibson to have them "plec" it.

Will be a Epi ES-355.

May ask on the Gibson lounge.

• 5 weeks later...

Now, a lot of guys "poo-poo" the entire process as a big money-grab and will tell you that a good set-up/fret dressing will get you the same result as PLEK'ing. I say that anyone who speaks badly of a PLEK'd guitar neck has NEVER PLAYED a PLEK'd guitar neck! Simply put: there is nothing quite like it!

Absolutely... The results are, quite simply, AMAZING [woot]

Sydney Guitar Setups do my work, & they have a store in West Hollywood also [thumbup]

http://www.sydneyguitarsetups.com/acatalog/LA_work_shop.html

Plek Video:

http://www.sydneyguitarsetups.com/acatalog/Plek_Vedeo.html

Absolutely... The results are, quite simply, AMAZING [woot]

Sydney Guitar Setups do my work, & they have a store in West Hollywood also [thumbup]

http://www.sydneyguitarsetups.com/acatalog/LA_work_shop.html

Plek Video:

http://www.sydneyguitarsetups.com/acatalog/Plek_Vedeo.html

egg, how much did it cost you in Sydney?? If it's not too expensive, but the results are amazing, I might even be tempting to come up for a try!! [woot]

egg, how much did it cost you in Sydney?? If it's not too expensive, but the results are amazing, I might even be tempting to come up for a try!! [woot]

Ian,

My good friend, the esteemed 'Dr Anthony' at SGS, will plek your 'loved one' senseless for $199...

& the punters are queuing out the door for the experience [biggrin]

Be sure to give me a shout-out if you're in my town hey [thumbup]

Cheers,

Ian,

My good friend, the esteemed 'Dr Anthony' at SGS, will plek your 'loved one' senseless for $199...

& the punters are queuing out the door for the experience [biggrin]

Be sure to give me a shout-out if you're in my town hey [thumbup]

Cheers,

What does that include in the service? E.g. Does it includes new strings & GST?

How is it compare to normal set up from Guitar Techs/Luthier??

Coz the main concern will be my travel expenses. So I'll need to justify myself whether it's all worth the money & effort.

Thanks, mate!

Coz the main concern will be my travel expenses. So I'll need to justify myself whether it's all worth the money & effort.

Think of it as costing 200 bones to hang with the Eggs clan, with a free Plek thrown in as a bonus.

Think of it as costing 200 bones to hang with the Eggs clan, with a free Plek thrown in as a bonus.

That's somewhat true, going to the fish market, etc, can also be a very good excuse.

However, my woman might not see it this way, that's the problem! [lol] [lol]

That's somewhat true, going to the fish market, etc, can also be a very good excuse.

However, my woman might not see it this way, that's the problem! [lol] [lol]

That's a tough one there.

I have no idea how to make a woman see anything, let alone what I want them to see. Usually I am challenged just to attempt to see it the way I am SUPPOSED to see it.

Maybe Mr. Eggs can recruit the services of Mrs. Eggs to convince Mrs. IanMark to spend 200 bucks on herself to help make it even, and motivate her to make the trip.

Keep in mind, taking any kind of relationship/marriage advice from me could have disaterous consequences.

What does that include in the service? E.g. Does it includes new strings & GST?

How is it compare to normal set up from Guitar Techs/Luthier??

Thanks, mate!

The $199 includes GST... but strings (at quite reasonable pricing) are extra.

I really don't know what they charge for a 'normal setup', but you could always call Anthony on (02) 9519 2112 or email him at info@sydneyguitar setups.com to enquire.

BTW, for the rest here, these guys also operate yet another workshop in Nashville TN... so we Aussie are clearly taking over [biggrin]

Cheers,

Archived