Gibson Brands Forums

The right kind of solder

I'm just getting into replacing pickups myself and rewiring the electronics.

When I was at my local hardware store to pick up some things I needed, I just grabbed a random roll of lead-free solder.

But when I get home and look around the web I find a guide to pickup replacement on the Gibson site saying I'd need Rosin-Core solder. The stuff I bought doesn't say anything about being this or not.

Should I go exchange it to make sure I've got the right type?

• 2 weeks later...

ALWAYS use rosin core solder on your electronics, the rosin core is the flux that cleans impurities from the surface of what you're soldering.

Radio Shack carries pretty good rosin core, it has a fairly low melting point so you don't have to over heat the wiring and the controls.

I normally use about a .031" (1/32 inch) diameter solder for use on guitar electronics.

And be sure to "tin" the wires and the places you are soldering them to.

If you google "soldering techniques" you'll find a lot of info on the web.

Here's a couple links:

A PRIMER ON HAND SOLDERING ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS

Better Soldering

How To Solder

And if you've never done any electronics soldering you might want to practice a little on a piece of wire.

• 2 months later...

ALWAYS use rosin core solder on your electronics, the rosin core is the flux that cleans impurities from the surface of what you're soldering.

Radio Shack carries pretty good rosin core, it has a fairly low melting point so you don't have to over heat the wiring and the controls.

I normally use about a .031" (1/32 inch) diameter solder for use on guitar electronics.

And be sure to "tin" the wires and the places you are soldering them to.

If you google "soldering techniques" you'll find a lot of info on the web.

Here's a couple links:

A PRIMER ON HAND SOLDERING ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS

Better Soldering

How To Solder

And if you've never done any electronics soldering you might want to practice a little on a piece of wire.

+1. Very good info. [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

Just nosey, or curious, but why did you buy "lead free" solder? Is that all they're selling nowadays? I'm not planning for anyone to drink from my guitar, so I'd be thinking of the best solder for the purpose -- to make a good permanent joint free of electrical resistance. But I bought enough economy size spools of solder decades ago that I haven't bought any for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Just nosey, or curious, but why did you buy "lead free" solder? Is that all they're selling nowadays? I'm not planning for anyone to drink from my guitar, so I'd be thinking of the best solder for the purpose -- to make a good permanent joint free of electrical resistance. But I bought enough economy size spools of solder decades ago that I haven't bought any for years.

you should be fine, just don't eat any of it

• 2 weeks later...

When I solder I use flux too. I have had alot of luck with the Dutch boy brand sold at lowes. the solder sticks real well and fast without heating up for periods longer than necessary for your soldering job. When tinning wires I just dip the wire into the flux and touch the solder from the tip of my iron to the wire and it goes right on instantly. I also flux my tip on my soldering iron while it is hot to clean it good. Also when grounding to new volume knobs and new tone knobs, take a small flat head screw driver and score the back of the pot real good where you intend to solder. Solder will not sick to the finished surface hardly at all without doing this and you can ruin a new knob by getting the pot too hot with the soldering gun by not doing this. Good luck, Tim

Archived