Gibson Brands Forums

Orville / Epiphone Japan

jmj5150

Orville Les Paul's the same as Epiphone Japan?

I have a 1994 Fujigen Orville Les Paul with solid flame top and long neck tenon and wondering if they are the same since Orville and Epiphone are both owned by Gibson.

1994%2520Orville%2520LSP75-VS%2520003.jpg

PICT0234.JPG

1994%2520Orville%2520LSP75-VS%2520014.jpg

1994%2520Orville%2520LSP75-VS%2520013.jpg

Yep, pretty much the same.

Agreed in regards to this guitar. The Epiphone Japan line was the succesor to the Orville Fujigen line and, I believe, used the same tooling.

Earlier "Orville By Gibson" guitars had a nitro finish and Gibson pickups. There was also a series of Epiphone Japan Les Pauls and SGs called the LQ Series that had lacquer finishes.

That's a nice looking Paul! SWEEEET!

Thank you [thumbup]

I just finished vintage wiring the guitar yesterday and had to taper ream the holes to accommodate CTS Pots 3/8 threads. Used authentic 50s PIO Sprague Bumblebee .022 caps although they are a little larger at 600v the price I got for them would have cost the same as Vitamin Qs. Also, added an aged nickel Gotoh aluminum bridge since I'm going for the vintage sound with BB 1 & 2 pickups controlled by switchcraft long shaft 3 switches and jack. Crowned/polished the frets and darkened the fretboard with Fiebings leather dye. Project well under budget after selling my Gibson Studio this guitar is replacing.

PICT0259.JPG

PICT0263.JPG

PICT0264.JPG

Thank you [thumbup]

I just finished vintage wiring the guitar yesterday and had to taper ream the holes to accommodate CTS Pots 3/8 threads. Used authentic 50s PIO Sprague Bumblebee .022 caps although they are a little larger at 600v the price I got for them would have cost the same as Vitamin Qs. Also, added an aged nickel Gotoh aluminum bridge since I'm going for the vintage sound with BB 1 & 2 pickups controlled by switchcraft long shaft 3 switches and jack. Crowned/polished the frets and darkened the fretboard with Fiebings leather dye. Project well under budget after selling my Gibson Studio this guitar is replacing.

PICT0259.JPG

PICT0263.JPG

PICT0264.JPG

Looks like a real nice wiring job. What differences do you hear?

Red 333

Looks like a real nice wiring job. What differences do you hear?

Red 333

Thanks, this was my first time wiring a Les Paul from scratch and found it to be more challenging than wiring a Strat.

The vintage caps added a well rounded hollow like tone and pronounced grit with high gain when compared to my previous Russian K40Y9s.

Finally finished

PICT0276.JPG

Archived