Gibson Brands Forums

My Bird is naked......

iwalktheline

but I overdosed on JD & cokes + camels.

Hope you didn't kick anyone in the face or Jerry will be disgusted with you.....

But a bit better now, so can comment I think. My only referance is when i put on the thicker HB guard over my CW guard, and I recall clearly that before I applied it permanently I did numerous comaprisements when i attached it loosely (where i could take it off still) and noticed a clear differenced in tone.

If its not the guard, then Im fascinated to know what could it be ...

I hear ye man, hence me saying I'm not saying it's impossible.... as for the guard being thinner on a 45, very true, but the Southern Jumbo style guard I plonked on it a week or so ago isn't... so factory guard, no guard, then bigger & thicker guard... same tone in all three. In my continuing sacrilege towards 'not fiddling' I'd even be tempted to conduct a further experiment, by plonking a second guard on it.. .as in double guard job and report back... to be continued.

Update-So I got the new pick guard yesterday and attempted to properly put her on.......well in my eagerness and excitement I totally screwed up [thumbdn]. I did not line it up properly and it was totally off alignment. I was totally pissed at myself beyond words. My wife even knew I couldn't let it go and she was even curious as to what I was going to do. Well, I went to bed still angry and pissed at myself and figured I would go the route of taking her off and putting the double sided 3m tape on. All through the day in work I still kept calling myself an *** and was counting the minutes to leave and start my project. I went and got the 3m double sided tape came home and began, all the while still wanting to punch myself in the face for being a dumb ***.....I got her off and it was a mess on the guitar with their glue/tape (whatever they use) and I began to get really, really sad but, I went to properly line up the guard just to see where I went wrong and I got her lined up and I realized the guard was actually touching the surface. So I just decided to see what would happen if I tried to push it down and........shes actually sticking and lined up. [love] I didnt think it would and for some reason it just seems to be sticking better this time. I had a little clean up to do where glue was but in all she seems ok. hopefully the glue stays and its not a problem anymore. In the end I still want to kick my own *** ](*,) I was just too excited I guess.

No, no .... went to see 'Bush' play last nite (remember those guys, if we bring up the 90's music again). Pretty good gig must say, in a small club, but I overdosed on JD & cokes + camels.

But a bit better now, so can comment I think. My only referance is when i put on the thicker HB guard over my CW guard, and I recall clearly that before I applied it permanently I did numerous comaprisements when i attached it loosely (where i could take it off still) and noticed a clear differenced in tone.

With the CW guard the tone was much brighter and sparklier but with the second guard on top it made the tone more rounded, cutting back on the highs. Certainly not as much as a real, thick HB guard like on the TV, but I did notice a clear difference, hence my comments and intrigue about what really delivers the HB nectar.

If its not the guard, then Im fascinated to know what could it be ...

Bush Rules!!!!! I was totally into them back in the day and still am. Not as much now but, I think I had a man crush on Gavin....But, they were the reason I started playing guitar.

Read about the hazardous maneuver with the new guard, , , uuaak. . .

But how about the sound now that you've had the best of all circumstances to investigate.

Still no difference, I guess.

Yeah, no change at all. I played her a bit more on Wednesday(without guard) and she sounded exactly the same. Now that the newer and thicker guard is on she sounds just as good.

Read about the hazardous maneuver with the new guard, , , uuaak. . .

But how about the sound now that you've had the best of all circumstances to investigate.

Still no difference, I guess.

I would think the tone would be less honey glazed if the pick guard covered the sound hole.

If it were that simple, the Epiphone H'Bird my student has would sound as good as mine.... Or maybe not. Still no difference?

And the Epi doesn't have a pickguard of similar properties?

Take a HB pickguard, MC, TV who cares, whack it on a square shouldered fred, does it "honey glaze" it? My guess is that it doesn't... removing a PG from a 'bird seems not to "de-honey glaze" it either, with that in hand we're forced to start looking at the construction and materials recipe, or at least I would have thought so...

Is honey glaze the natural compression on projected sound gained from Gibsons configuration of the short scale square-shouldered dred? Or is it a pickguard, which]h lets face it is the same as the Sheryl Crow yet deemed different, the same as copy-cats yet deemed different. Why is this PG not 'honeying' anything else up?

Just a tuppence worth...

Is honey glaze the natural compression on projected sound gained from Gibsons configuration of the short scale square-shouldered dred? Or is it a pickguard, which]h lets face it is the same as the Sheryl Crow yet deemed different, the same as copy-cats yet deemed different. Why is this PG not 'honeying' anything else up?

The guard on the Sheryl Crow is much thinner than on the Bird. However I must admit when I was in the UK I played a SC and HB MC side by side and there was very little tonal difference. Although in that case both guitars has a 'soft' tone but not so Birdish from either guitar.

When I for example add my HB TV into the mix its much more nectarish than those other two.

The guard on the Sheryl Crow is much thinner than on the Bird. However I must admit when I was in the UK I played a SC and HB MC side by side and there was very little tonal difference. Although in that case both guitars has a 'soft' tone but not so Birdish from either guitar.

When I for example add my HB TV into the mix its much more nectarish than those other two.

What's the constructional differences, are the TV's structurally similar to the old ones? If so, starts to seem likely that the vintage & TV bracing patterns have something to do with it.

I guess you could take off the guard, let us know how much honey is still there and reapply it msp_scared.gif :D :D

What's the constructional differences, are the TV's structurally similar to the old ones? If so, starts to seem likely that the vintage & TV bracing patterns have something to do with it.

I guess you could take off the guard, let us know how much honey is still there and reapply it msp_scared.gif :D :D

I might get Paul Fox to do it for me mate ...

Is it all in our heads, , , , , does the visual impression of the wildlife plus the myth trick us into hearing that extra glaze. Is there traces of nectar in completely other models, thinnner guarded C&W's, 45's, J-200's even Martins. . . .

Rational thinking must zoom in on construction. The sq. shoulders/short scale combo as some mention, , , , then again eeeehhh, have to say that my long scale sq. shouldered Dove (which has more of everything) holds a severe glaze also. Everything points towards the Gibson-way of building squares – specially manifested in the not so projecting flower-loving Bird, , , and the Dove.

Is it all in our heads, , , , , does the visual impression of the wildlife plus the myth trick us into hearing that extra glaze. Is there traces of nectar in completely other models, thinnner guarded C&W's, 45's, J-200's even Martins. . . .

Rational thinking must zoom in on construction. The sq. shoulders/short scale combo as some mention, , , , then again eeeehhh, have to say that my long scale sq. shouldered Dove (which have more of everything) has a severe glaze also. Everything points towards the Gibson-way of building squares – specially manifested in the not so projecting flower-loving Bird, , , and the Dove.

Well, I'll just say it this way, a good Bird' sounds like a Bird, with all its nectar and sweetness, and no other guitar sounds like it.

I mean its almost scary how different a J-45 sounds to a Bird, and they on paper seem to be so similar with a light angle difference i the shoulder, yet sooooh different in tone.

Well, I'll just say it this way, a good Bird' sounds like a Bird, with all its nectar and sweetness, and no other guitar sounds like it.

I mean its almost scary how different a J-45 sounds to a Bird, and they on paper seem to be so similar with a light angle difference i the shoulder, yet sooooh different in tone.

Absolutely agree, but isn't the sound of a guitar a very complex phenomenon when it comes down to it. Projection, balance, subtle bi-flavors etc.

The Hummingbird is a Hummingbird, no doubt, still it's hard to split the before mentioned factors in separate audible 'tracks' – I mean, it isn't like a mixing desk.

As said, I hear the huge difference between the Bird and the 45 – BUT, , , also notice those similarities that blend up in what we usually call the G-sound.

Trying to analyze or understand what's goin' on on a deeper level can be quite dizzying as the various aspects 'spill over'. . .

At times I feel like an atomic scientist so into the micro that I can't see a thing. . . .

Then it's time to play a Bob Dylan song.

Archived