Gibson Brands Forums

Help Me Identify/Value this SG?

kwhitten

A guy that does handyman work for me brought this guitar over to my house. I am planning to buy it, but don't want to overpay and don't want to rip the guy off either.

I did a serial number lookup on it and it said 1970-72, he thought it was an early 60's. Is it just an SG standard, I couldn't find one exactly like it on ebay. Most of the ones I saw had the "covered" pickups. Any information you can provide would be helpful, I do not believe the tuners are original. if they are they have been moved.

Just kind of want a ballpark figure, is it a $500 guitar, $1000 guitar, etc...

009_zps7a933bc1.jpg

010_zpsfc11a65a.jpg

011_zpse3b3f658.jpg

Welcome.

The crown inlay indicates a Standard. For a couple of years in the mid-70s the SG Standard had no fretboard binding with block inlays and a harmonica bridge. Probably 1974/1975. Maybe 1973.

It's condition is okay and it looks like the pups have been modded which would bring down the value.

There's one like yours on fleaBay, better shape, with the BIN at $3495 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibson-Limited-Edition-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar-1974-75-Tar-Backs-USA-/280874302940?pt=Guitar&hash=item416569bddc

There's one like yours on fleaBay, better shape, with the BIN at $3495

This number is COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS unless/until someone actually pays it.

If your going to search e-bay for "comps", the ONLY prices that are useful are actual selling prices from a "completed auctions" search.

As has been said, it's a 'Type 4' SG from mid-'70s which has had the original p-ups replaced by a pair of DiMarzios (probably Super Distortions with their matching rings) and aftermarket tuners.

It's not rare, it's not in great shape and it's not that collectible so you shouldn't need to break the bank to get it but $1,000 is almost certainly on the low side.

I'd be absolutely amazed if the one in BK's link made anywhere near $3,500.........

P.

Great info, thanks a ton for the help...I guess what I am looking for is what would you give for it(especially if u weren't really in the market for it), at what price is it a decent investment?, $1000 is low...so what are we talking 1500, 2000?, again, just asking for personal opinions, doesn't have to be that exact...

Larry is right. For that matter anything is a guess until you actually get paid. The comparison was meant for a look at the pics of a '74 - obviously the OP's guitar is not of that quality, which I mentioned.

Since I didn't mention it before, I'll throw out some speculation on the value: With the pup mod, no telling what someone might pay, but in a range - probably over $650, and probably under $1100. If it plays and sounds good, I wouldn't pay more than $900.

The BEST way to determine a real cash value would be a blue book. It is made by mostly dealers with info from actual sales. Same as used cars.

Aside from that, there are limits to things. For example, this guitar does not have origonal pickups in it. Had the guitar been a "vintage" Gibson, OR a more expensive guitar, it would matter. But sinse the guitar isn't really a "collectable" type or worth any "extra" on top of it's value as a usable instrument, it can't hurt too much that some parts have been replaced.

72 is old, but that period of Gibson isn't what collectors seek out. It is kinda cool in that there are some different features found on these, but they aren't really bought and sold for "investment" purposes by collectors. It is still a quality instrument and very playable, even though it is different in a lot of ways in features and construction details to both "vintage" SG's and more modern ones.

If you gave 1000 for this, I think that would be generous. A typical, average used SG in a "retail" would be more like 600, but there are a LOT of models ranging from 300 to 3000. I have not seen 70's SG's go for any "extra" because they are different, usually a little less than average. But they do have some solid value because they are the genuine article, and not student models.

I notice this has some plastic pieces at the switch and the tailpiece. It could have been added for looks or to cover repairs. You might check that.

Good on you for wanting to be fair right from the gate. Most are concerned with either getting ripped off, while not being concerned with ripping anyone else off out of lack of knowledge. Thanks for showing us how we should be.

• 4 weeks later...

i picked up a very very similar SG for $725 cup of the pups being modded. NIce guitar and sounds better then new but its not worth what an unmolested one is for sure. Good luck and have fun with the new SG if you pick it up that is!!

Archived