Gibson Brands Forums

VT n a ZBD s A OK

tweed2

Finally decided to install the VariTone in my Zephyr Blues Deluxe. I ordered it up from Derek, at Big D, who was very patient with my many questions. I bought it without the dial plate as I wanted a gold one, which nobody makes. So, went to my old friend Joe, at Amplates, and had him make some in Marshall gold, with black numbers. I had 10 made (after the design/set up and shipping for one, the next 9 weren't very much more). Then I found sone cool knobs on eBay, kind of a skirted chickenhead or oven knob, very retro looking. I painted the white indicator line on the knob gold, just because I get anal about that kind of stuff.

The VariTone fit right in the old tone knob location (through the neck pickup opening), two wires to solder, then put it all back together. Pretty painless. Compared to the stock tone knob, which seemed ineffective and was dubbed the "mud knob", the VariTone is perfect for my needs. The 0 setting is a bypass, the others, 1-5, use different value capacitors and get a wide, useful variety of tones. It works well with the P-90s (maybe now I won't be so inclined to replace them) and this type of guitar. And because it fit the same hole as the stock tone pot, this mod is easily reversible. I think that it improves both the sound and look of the guitar.

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

That's really cool! What you've got there is sort of a Switchmaster without the switch. I should have gotten one of those Zephyr Blues Deluxes when they were available. Are you using the new switch as a Varitone or as a pickup selector? That gives me an idea--I'd probably use it as a pickup selector, with neck, neck+middle, middle, middle+bridge, bridge, or all three on, with the three knobs wired for volume for neck and bridge, volume for middle, and master tone. I've never had a guitar without a tone control, and I do use it, so I'm not sure if I could do without it.

That's really cool! What you've got there is sort of a Switchmaster without the switch. I should have gotten one of those Zephyr Blues Deluxes when they were available. Are you using the new switch as a Varitone or as a pickup selector? That gives me an idea--I'd probably use it as a pickup selector, with neck, neck+middle, middle, middle+bridge, bridge, or all three on, with the three knobs wired for volume for neck and bridge, volume for middle, and master tone. I've never had a guitar without a tone control, and I do use it, so I'm not sure if I could do without it.

Strictly as a tone adjuster, and this guitar screams for tone adjustment. I'm actually getting used to blending the individual volume pots, as designed. These still come up used, on occasion, around $700, with case. Thanks for the compliments everyone.

• 10 months later...

I've asked over at Amplate if they would make for me as well. I'm installing a Varitone on a Sheraton II.

Hard to tell in the picture, but is the dial plate shiny?

Would you be willing to sell one of your remaining?

Archived