Gibson Brands Forums

Another F-hole question...

El Giablo

My L-5CES is labelled a "Gibson Master Model" (main label with model number and serial number handwritten), and has the second label stating "...tested and approved by" with date and signature.

Maybe the "Master Model" has something to do with it.

Which models have the sticker, (signed by the luthier that built the guitar) in the treble tone hole? Thanks, El G

If you're talking about Gibson guitars specifically, there are relatively few (high end) models that would have a signed label, and it also would depend on the era you're talking about. In other words, although Larry's L5 (made in the Norlin era, I believe) has a signature, most L5's (or Super 400's, or Byrdlands, etc) did not have signatures in earlier years. I don't know about the original Citation guitars, but I suspect they would have been among the first since the 1920's Lloyd Loar L5's to have signatures (but Citations were the highest of high end, and are very rare). In more recent decades, things may have changed significantly, with more high end guitars being hand signed. At any rate, the vast majority of Gibson models did not have signatures, and many didn't even have labels (like the aforementioned ES330 model).

This is an interesting question. I have a ES330. I think it's 1966 but over the sixty's it is hard to tell. The guitar doesn't have a sticker in it and no mark it indicate there ever was one. I understand this is not unusual.

Your '66 ES-330 might have a small ink stamped "ES-330" on the back as viewed through the bass side F hole.

On my '66 ES-125T, it's faded & hard to spot right away, but it's there.

Archived