Gibson Brands Forums

Colbie Caillat @Guitar Center

JuanCarlosVejar

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A momentary pause from the above lovefest.

In '64 at thirteen years old, I wore out the Stones first three albums. The Beatles sounded like Chipmunks to me, but there were a few catchy tunes in there. I especially liked Beatles '65 (US release) when it came out. The Animals and Yardbirds rounded things out nicely. But I kept looking at the songs & who wrote them. Certain names popped up now & again, and I wondered who these guys were. This eventually led me & lots of other white boys in the US to the discovery of the black blues musicians who originally wrote & performed much of what the British bands were giving us. At a time when these musicians had virtually no platform in the US, the British boy-bands handed them back to us on a sanitized & acceptable-for-white-consumption platter..... essentially giving us back treasures which had been lost. This was the British contribution from the early Beatles/Stones era that endures, and I truly appreciate the musical & social enormity of it.

In '64 at thirteen years old, I wore out the Stones first three albums. The Beatles sounded like Chipmunks to me, but there were a few catchy tunes in there. I especially liked Beatles '65 (US release) when it came out. The Animals and Yardbirds rounded things out nicely. But I kept looking at the songs & who wrote them. Certain names popped up now & again, and I wondered who these guys were. This eventually led me & lots of other white boys in the US to the discovery of the black blues musicians who originally wrote & performed much of what the British bands were giving us. At a time when these musicians had virtually no platform in the US, the British boy-bands handed them back to us on a sanitized & acceptable-for-white-consumption platter..... essentially giving us back treasures which had been lost. This was the British contribution from the early Beatles/Stones era that endures, and I truly appreciate the musical & social enormity of it.

Valid points, certainly more valid than posting a John Lennon release from 1970 in contrast to a first single by a current manufactured band like Del did.... A remarkably low calibre of argument. Shall we start to dissect the lyrics to early Beatles numbers, say the first couple of singles in comparison to the lyrics of the of the One Direction song above, might start to feel like kicking a man while he's down though.... Get well soon, Delboy.

You killed any credibility your argument had with that comparison. Ho Ho....

Amen to that!

I remember hearing the Stones version of "Little Red Rooster", and thinking "where did THAT come from?" It certainly wasn't Ricky Nelson!

Is there a translate option for that? State your case speaker......

Even Amateurs Deserve Good Beatles Enlightenment

Haha hehe, no no I'm not goin' back into the pot. . .

This one just came to me and I couldn't resist.

Keep it high PM.

Archived