Gibson Brands Forums

Got any advice on this???? I am screwed.

Naradien

Naradien' date=' why did you get a Les Paul in the first place? Was it your choice or your old man's?

You know, Hetfield plays a Les Paul, too...[/quote']

Actually my dad did-----The others like a flying V he said were too ugly.

I know that Papa Het plays a les paul too, but he looks so badass in '86 when he slung that explorer below his waist and starting headbanging while playing Ride... I was like "HOLY ****! BADASSNESS" And I'm like a hardcore Metallica Fan so.. yea.. Plus I think that Het looks 5000 times better with an explorer.

Anyone got any videos of Jimmy playing a paul--I saw a picture and I was amazed...but his eyes looked 'effin trippy. Don't know what he was smokin before that concert...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... So, I'm about to show that I was a dumb/idiotic kid once as well. I told Damien about this the other day actually. My first guitar was a Les Paul. It's what I learned on. After maybe about nine months or so I wanted to switch to something else because for whatever reason I just thought of the Les Paul as my 'beginner' guitar. SO I went searching for an upgrade (stop laughing). I wanted to strat like my hero Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), but didn't like it because it wasn't comfortable. Looked at a Jag Stang which, surprisingly was comfortable, but than I saw this special edition Flying V at Sam Ash. The image of Jim Martin from Faith No More playing a Flying V, my first favorite band, always stuck in my head of what a guitar player was supposed to play. So I traded up. A few years later I ended up regretting it because, fact is, the V just isn't a very versatile instrument. I ended up retiring that guitar from live play and it just sits in it's case and collects dust really.

When I toured my PRS stayed in it's case and I used two of Damien's Les Paul's. Never do you feel more at home with an instrument than you do with a Les Paul.

So, I guess my point is, don't play an instrument because you're heroes or someone you look up to plays it. They may not always be your heroes, and eventually you grow out of it. Phase or not. My all-time favorite band is still Smashing Pumpkins...but you won't catch me performing or recording with a strat either. Best to go with an instrument that you can play virtually any style of music on, be it Rock, Punk, Metal, Goth, Alternative, Thrash, Jazz, Blues, Gypsy, Pop, etc. You can do that with a Les Paul. That Explorer, not a chance.

-matt

p.s. Why does Hetfield have to squat like he's crappin in the bushes or somethin when he plays the Explorer :-k

Play the Les Paul. Love the Les Paul. Save and earn money and buy yourself the Explorer. Someday.

Never hurt your Dad's feelings. Ever. That is something you will regret later' date=' to a degree I can't explain to a 14 year old.

Trust me. Someday................. You'll know what you just read.

Best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

+1

p.s. Why does Hetfield have to squat like he's crappin in the bushes or somethin when he plays the Explorer :P

**** You! NO BODY INSULTS PAPA HET!

I'm Joking....The reason why he does, is because he's pretty tall, and has to sing in the mic.

After maybe about nine months or so I wanted to switch to something else because for whatever reason I just thought of the Les Paul as my 'beginner' guitar. SO I went searching for an upgrade (stop laughing).

I can't!

Never do you feel more at home with an instrument than you do with a Les Paul.

... Best to go with an instrument that you can play virtually any style of music on' date=' be it Rock, Punk, Metal, Goth, Alternative, Thrash, Jazz, Blues, Gypsy, Pop, etc. You can do that with a Les Paul. That Explorer, not a chance.

[/quote']

+1

**** You! NO BODY INSULTS PAPA HET!

I'm Joking....The reason why he does' date=' is because he's pretty tall, and has to sing in the mic.

[/quote']

He's not that tall, and they can raise the mic stand for him. Shoot, they can have a custom stand made for him. Ian Thornley of Big Wreck/Thornley is well over 6 ft tall and he seems fairly comfortable up there.

I am no pro by any means but I know EXACTLY what your going through (I'm 17)

I HAD to have a gibson Les Paul. I would watch videos of Slash, Jimmy Page, Beck, EVEN HENDRIX used a Les Paul at some point in his Fender (I know, I said the F word on a Gibson forum, everyone pick up your rocks and stone me) I always had epiphones or some other knock off here and there until when me and my dad went to a Guitar Center to upgrade from crap to crap that didn't smell as bad and then he pick up a Vintage Mahogany Les Paul studio with BB's (burstbuckers) in it. I understand your heart is set on an explorer and that's totally cool, but i just would hate to see you completly ditch your LP. I know everyone else told you the same thing but keep the LP and save up for the X-plorer...

Almost forgot. You may want to try out an Explorer just to try it. It may prove to be the most unfriggincomfortable guitar you ever lay your hands on, or you may find out that you kind of prefer large body instruments. My Flying V was my main for quite a few years till I retired it. Since then I've gone to a Firebird and RD; both of these are explorer-ish instruments.

Hetfield's Explorer's by the way were closer body shape to the '84 Reissue Explorer, larger body than the current one's out.

so' date=' you saw a video, of a guy, playing an explored and that convinced you that it was "the guitar for you"

Never played one, never even really heard one, just saw your idol playing one.

Wow[/quote']

yeah' date=' that too[/quote']

I don't know, can ya really slam him for being more inspired by something like that. I mean, didn't Gibson just send out their regular e-mail newsletter talking about Ace Frehley and how so many people picked up a guitar and wanted to play a Les Paul because of how cool Ace looked in KI$$ Alive! Plus there's the thread right on this board talking about images that made you want to pick up the guitar.

Dude, stick with the Les Paul. Keep up the grades and go for an Explorer later. They aren't going anywhere, they are much more affordable than the Les Paul, and you will regret it if you get rid of it for an Explorer someday. You will never regret keeping this Les Paul. You're a lucky guy, when I was 14 I couldn't have dreamed of getting that guitar. Honestly, Explorers are great, but that Les Paul is the best thing that could happen to you at 14. Keep the Les Paul. That's my two cent.

OK guys' date=' I am officially screwed. Like in totally screwed. Basically, i got a new les paul '08 cherry burst standard, my dad got me. (Let me first state that I am only 14, I am not spoiled,-My dad got it, because all my classes are AP classes, and I got an A+ in all of em. No I am not a nerd, :P)

I am a HUGE MetallicA fan, and i was recently watching James hetfield slinging that badass gibson white explorer (more beer) playing ride the lightning.

I now REALLY REALLY think that an explorer is what I want to get and that i wont regret it. The thing is that this guitar was purchased nearly 4 months ago, so I don't think I can return it. Got any suggestions? How do I explain this to my dad?

Also, before I got the les paul, I got an ibanez, which had the worst sustain on earth. It sustained for 2 seconds, with my super mega distortion. I returned that and got the les paul. Now what do i do? My dad would probably be so pissed if i told him.

Don't get me wrong, Les pauls are amazing. I just think that an explorer is probably the right one for me.

Screwed....

[/quote']

It sounds to me like you're smart enough to stay out of the music business. [just messin' with ya]

Like others have already stated; "keep the Lester and buy an Explorer some other day".

Hell, if I was your age, I'd much rather have an LP and dreaming of an Explorer, than the other way around.

I'm going to forgive you because you're only 14. But, DUDE, here's a clue: an Explorer will never hold a candle to a Les Paul! If you were within driving distance of Tulsa, OK, I'd gladly buy you an Explorer to trade even-up for your LP but I'd feel like a jerk the rest of my life for taking advantage of you.

Get down on your knees and thank whatever diety you believe in for owning a Gibson Les Paul at 14 that somebody else bought for you! For me, I got my first Les Paul by literally signing over 6 weeks worth of paychecks to the music store I bought it from. I worked a full-time job over the summer when I was 17 and took my paychecks directly to the store & signed them over. After the 6th one I still owed $1 but they cut me the slack & gave me the guitar.

Naradien' date=' why did you get a Les Paul in the first place? Was it your choice or your old man's?

You know, Hetfield plays a Les Paul, too...[/quote']

Metallica always use LP's in the studio....

I think you should be happy with what you have....

Dont ever bite the hand that feeds you...

Well done with the Grades

Flight959

so' date=' you saw a video, of a guy, playing an explored and that convinced you that it was "the guitar for you"

Never played one, never even really heard one, just saw your idol playing one.

Wow[/quote']

Actually Oilpit, I've been a Metallica Fan since I was 10 ( Started guitar since I was 6), And I have played an explorer

and I really liked the agressive tone on it-it was great for metal.

Archived