Gibson Brands Forums

Logical upgrade from AJ-500?

Tiger Jeff

My 21 y.o. is an aspiring singer songwriter, currently plays an Epiphone AJ-500 Masterbilt .... he likes it, so there is no crying need to get him a new acoustic -- but I'm willing to spend the bucks to upgrade. Was wondering if there is a logical upgrade from an AJ-500 ... if he likes that style, should I look for a "jumbo" style acoustic? A dreadnought? I've looked at Martin HD 28, D-18, J-40, Gibson J45 .... any thoughts?

My 21 y.o. is an aspiring singer songwriter, currently plays an Epiphone AJ-500 Masterbilt .... he likes it, so there is no crying need to get him a new acoustic -- but I'm willing to spend the bucks to upgrade. Was wondering if there is a logical upgrade from an AJ-500 ... if he likes that style, should I look for a "jumbo" style acoustic? A dreadnought? I've looked at Martin HD 28, D-18, J-40, Gibson J45 .... any thoughts?

Which AJ-500 does he play, the R (rosewood) or the M (mahogany)?

In the Gibson family, the Advanced Jumbo is the most similar to the AJ-500R. Same scale (long), and wood combination for back and sides (rosewood) and top (spruce). It's a very powerful guitar, and can overwhelm some voices, though. This guitar is especially favored by Bluegrass players, but is great for other styles as well. It's often said to be the hidden gem of the Gibson line-up, as it's relatively unknown and usually very affordable for a Gibson. It's not usually available from the factory with a pickup, which a singer-songwriter might require for performances.

The J-45 is more similar to the AJ-500M, since it's mahogany and spruce. Unlike the AJ500M, the J-45 is famously a short-cale guitar, which makes it easier to play for some, and adds some harmonics. It's usually thought of as a singer-songwriter's guitar (if not THE singer-songwriter's guitar), as it's often more complimentary to voice to the darker and often more overpowering AJ. It's a great all-rounder, equally adept for finger-style and strumming. For these reasons, its ubiquitous popularity, its longevity (made almost continuously for seventy years), and its simplicity, it's called "The Workhorse." The J-45 comes in several varieties. The "Standard" has a built-in pickup.

The Hummingbird was famously developed to compliment the human voice, but usually has less potential power than an AJ or J-45. A great strummer, its not usually thought of for fingerstyle. It's usually more expensive than a J-45, due to its higher level of cosmetic detail. It's also available with a pickup.

The Gibson Songwriter series is also another option worth exploring. Same woods as a J-45, same general shape and dimensions, but with slightly squared off shoulders. Sort of a J-45/Hummingbird cross, with the AJ's advanced x-bracing thrown into the mix. It can usually be had for less than a J-45, too, icluding pickup.

There's also a Hummingird Pro/Hummingbird Artist series of guitars with pickups. These are confusingly named, I think. While they share some cosmetics with the Hummingbird, they are physically more similar to the Songwriter series in both body shape and bracing.

Since guitars are often very personal their players, you might want to take your son shopping for the guitar, setting a budget for its purchase, if that's at all possible. If not, I'm sure your son will be thrilled by your choice, thoughtfulness, and encouragement.

Good luck with your search, and let us know how it turns out.

Red 333

Which AJ-500 does he play, the R (rosewood) or the M (mahogany)?

In the Gibson family, the Advanced Jumbo is the most similar to the AJ-500R. Same scale (long), and wood combination for back and sides (rosewood) and top (spruce). It's a very powerful guitar, and can overwhelm some voices, though. This guitar is especially favored by Bluegrass players, but is great for other styles as well. It's often said to be the hidden gem of the Gibson line-up, as it's relatively unknown and usually very affordable for a Gibson.

The J-45 is more similar to the AJ-500M. It's usually thought of as a singer-songwriter's guitar (if not THE singer-songwriter's guitar), as its mahogany back and sides with spruce top (and short scale) are often more complimentary to voice to the darker and often more overpowering AJ. It's a great all-rounder, equally adept for finger-style and strumming. For these reasons, its ubiquitous popularity, and its simplicity, it's called "The Workhorse."

The Hummingbird was famously developed to compliment the human voice, but usually has less potential power than an AJ or J-45. A great strummer, its not usually thought of for fingerstyle. It's usually more expensive than a J-45.

The Gibson Songwriter series is also another option worth exploring. Same woods as a J-45, but with slightly squared off shoulders. Sort of a J-45/Hummingbird cross, with the AJ's advanced x-bracing thrown into the mix. It can usually be had for less than a J-45, too.

Since guitars are often very personal their players, you might want to take your son shopping for the guitar, setting a budget for its purchase, if that's at all possible. If not, I'm sure your son will be thrilled by your choice, thoughtfulness, and encouragement.

Red 333

He has an "RE"

I'd say get him an all Maple or all Mahogany or Maple/Mahogany guitar, as that will sound different than what he has now. Mahogany and Spruce sound great to, if you want to try a smaller guitar with a tighter/thinner sound go for an AAA body! Going for a Super Jumbo will sound a bit different too but these are large guitar's so there is a comfort issue with them. There are some Parlor guitars (AAA) that do have a full(er) sound to them but not like an Super Jumbo as it's so big it naturally emits big sound. If he wants to do recording the variation's in sound from the different wood's/size's will come in handy.

If I could only have one acoustic guitar it would probably be a J-45.

As he already has the AJ I think the two combined would cover all the bases.

I have both and really can't rate one over the other. Both are great guitars.

as described by Red above, just a slightly different sound.

I've an AJ500ME.

Kind wish sometimes it had a cutaway. But not all the time. It works well for about any kinda pickin'. Better for strumming of various sorts, though, than fingerpicking, although I do both and can get away with it 'cuz it's AE. I'll agree it doesn't seem you can do much better.

I've looked at various guitars in the songwriter series. Haven't punched the button 'cuz I really don't care to spend that much on a guitar I can't try first and that'd be a three-day trip.

But I'd say a lot depends on how he plays. Strumming... probably something along the J45 Gibbies are nicely balanced... Fingerpickin', I dunno. The big boxes sound nice; a little more difficult to wrap around for fancier fingerpicking, at least in my experience.

Personally I much prefer various Gibson/Epi designs. Believe it or not, my two favorite fingerpickin' with vocal guitars are a 175 and the inexpensive Epi PR5E that's a lot like the old 1950s Gibson cf100e, is similar in feel to the 175 and the pickup works awfully well to make it sound nice and balanced for a solo gig. It currently gets more use than any other guitar I own.

Oh, that old CF100 and CF100e are owned by a rancher friend. He put a Fishman rare earth soundhole pickup on the unelectrified one. He said the Gibson guys in Montana were giving his box a good inspection. It's a great guitar that ain't made any more. @#$%$%@ Look 'em up some time.

Again, a lot depends on how the "kid" plays and what he wants. Mother Maybelle got great sound outa her old archtop with huge strings. But it's not exactly in fashion nowadays.

Never been all that that much a Martin fan for what I do. Nice guitars. Something about the Gibson designs give more a sound that I like with how I play.

Then again... honestly I think there's so much that has to do with how you play and how a given instrument just seems to fit you as part of your self.

m

I've an AJ500ME.

Kind wish sometimes it had a cutaway. But not all the time. It works well for about any kinda pickin'. Better for strumming of various sorts, though, than fingerpicking, although I do both and can get away with it 'cuz it's AE. I'll agree it doesn't seem you can do much better.

I've looked at various guitars in the songwriter series. Haven't punched the button 'cuz I really don't care to spend that much on a guitar I can't try first and that'd be a three-day trip.

But I'd say a lot depends on how he plays. Strumming... probably something along the J45 Gibbies are nicely balanced... Fingerpickin', I dunno. The big boxes sound nice; a little more difficult to wrap around for fancier fingerpicking, at least in my experience.

Personally I much prefer various Gibson/Epi designs. Believe it or not, my two favorite fingerpickin' with vocal guitars are a 175 and the inexpensive Epi PR5E that's a lot like the old 1950s Gibson cf100e, is similar in feel to the 175 and the pickup works awfully well to make it sound nice and balanced for a solo gig. It currently gets more use than any other guitar I own.

Oh, that old CF100 and CF100e are owned by a rancher friend. He put a Fishman rare earth soundhole pickup on the unelectrified one. He said the Gibson guys in Montana were giving his box a good inspection. It's a great guitar that ain't made any more. @#$%$%@ Look 'em up some time.

Again, a lot depends on how the "kid" plays and what he wants. Mother Maybelle got great sound outa her old archtop with huge strings. But it's not exactly in fashion nowadays.

Never been all that that much a Martin fan for what I do. Nice guitars. Something about the Gibson designs give more a sound that I like with how I play.

Then again... honestly I think there's so much that has to do with how you play and how a given instrument just seems to fit you as part of your self.

m

Red and Milod are 2 of the most knowledgable folks on here so any advice given is worth its weight in Epiphones!

I always agree with Milod that guitars are as much about "feel" and "fit" rather than just cosmetics or what's on the headstock

an AJ500 might be the best guitar for him regardless of what you spend on a more expensive model

If fact I think it will be my next guitar.

Tiger Jeff,

As others have noted, the AJ500M is a very fine guitar, and many would be completely happy playing it for a lifetime and not feel the need to "upgrade."

The Masterbilts do have a different character than Gibsons made from roughly equivalent types of woods, though, due to the fact they are braced very differently. Gibson acoustics have a signature sound that no other manufacture really matches: if that is the sound your son is after, then a Gibson will indeed be an upgrade. He may even appreciate a Gibson more as an object, as they are made with what most would describe as cosmetically superior woods and finishes.

I have both an AJ-500M and AJ-500R, a Masterbilt DR-500M, and five J-45 variants (a Legend, True Vintage, Southern Jumbo True Vintage, Rosewood Vine, and J-35 Reissue), as well as two Advanced Jumbos (including a relatively rare short-scale maple model), so I'm very familiar with the models we have been discussing.

Red 333

Red, I am so envious!

I have a J45TV and it is my goto. I love this guitar and it has "that sound". Boy would that be an upgrade...

Having said that my most recent guitar purchase was a new old stock AJ 500R, and it speaks to me more each day. I could definitely be happy with it as my only guitar if I were forced to have only one. I put a nice Baggs M1A sound hole pickup in her, and she sounds great through a PA or amp. I play here most every day unplugged though. I actually like this $400 guitar better than a recent Martin HD28 that I bought (and sold). Go figure. I guess it has taken me many years to discover that there is no such thing as an upgrade guitar... only guitars that either sound good to me... or not.

That's her on the wall...

soundseat.jpg

Red, I am so envious!

I have a J45TV and it is my goto. I love this guitar and it has "that sound". Boy would that be an upgrade...

Having said that my most recent guitar purchase was a new old stock AJ 500R, and it speaks to me more each day. I could definitely be happy with it as my only guitar if I were forced to have only one. I put a nice Baggs M1A sound hole pickup in her, and she sounds great through a PA or amp. I play here most every day unplugged though. I actually like this $400 guitar better than a recent Martin HD28 that I bought (and sold). Go figure. I guess it has taken me many years to discover that there is no such thing as an upgrade guitar... only guitars that either sound good to me... or not.

That's her on the wall...

soundseat.jpg

High praise indeed. I'm of the same mind as you--the Masterbilts sound fantastic, and easily sound as good or even better to me than guitars costing many times as much. My favorite Masterbilt is the cedar topped, 12-fret AJ-500RC. It's definitely one of the best sounding guitars I own.

And yes, the J-45 True Vintage is something very special.

Love that case on the wall. What's in it?

Red 333

That's my Martin D15. I have my kids' names inlayed on the upper frets. I love it - very warm sound with out the muddiness that I always seem to hear in the 28s. It records real well too. I have three guitars: my J45TV, my Masterbilt, and that one. Well actually I also have a Little Martin Koa at work for those slow days. If I had the means and the room, the guitars I would love to add are a Martin 00-15M, a Masterbilt AJ500M, and a custom J45TV in natural. One day!

photo-8.jpg

That's my Martin D15. I have my kids' names inlayed on the upper frets. I love it - very warm sound with out the muddiness that I always seem to hear in the 28s. It records real well too. I have three guitars: my J45TV, my Masterbilt, and that one. Well actually I also have a Little Martin Koa at work for those slow days. If I had the means and the room, the guitars I would love to add are a Martin 00-15M, a Masterbilt AJ500M, and a custom J45TV in natural. One day!

That's really cool, Sal. Were the inlays done at the factory, or did you somehow have them done later?

Red 333

Archived