Gibson Brands Forums

Care of vintage instruments

Dave F

I recently bought a vintage Martin uke ('40 circa).

I know this is not the forum for it, but I use this one more than any other and know quite a few of you have some great vintage Gibsons.

My question is, how do you care for the cleaning and upkeep. There is some checking but not that bad for its age.

The is some separation starting in the center below the bridge and a little at each end of the center of the back. but nothing has really opened.

Thanks for your input.

Here's some pics

http://photobucket.com/davef-martin-t1

I agree, except that I might add one thing that I have been seeing lately. I would suggest not waxing/polishing a vintage instrument.

There are many products out there for polishing guitars that include a carnauba wax or something similar. Vintage guitars/instruments often have finish checking that wax just won't come out of. It dries and highlights all the flaws.

If you feel the need to clean a vintage guitar start with a lightly damp soft rag. I use old undershirts. If that doesn't work, use a little bit of "Ronsonol" lighter fluid. This contains a chemical called Naptha that is a light solvent that won't harm a nitrocellulose finish. Use very little because it can cause some haziness on a very damaged finish.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck getting dried wax out of finish cracks even with Naptha. Anyone else had this problem and found something that worked?

Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck getting dried wax out of finish cracks even with Naptha. Anyone else had this problem and found something that worked?

Try using a cotton swab (Q-tip) dipped in naphtha, detailing the finish cracks. That will sometimes do the job. Follow up with a dry swab to soak up excess naphtha,

Try using a cotton swab (Q-tip) dipped in naphtha, detailing the finish cracks. That will sometimes do the job. Follow up with a dry swab to soak up excess naphtha,

Will do, Nick. Sounds like you have been through this hell before!

Try a soft toothbrush dipped in naptha. It works wonderfully.

Archived