Gibson Brands Forums

Chuck vs Keith

Izzy

Yeah,that's fun to watch. Chuck Berry made a career and a hell-of-a-lot-of money playing double-licks...and he's an expert with them. But, I think Keith Richards is ten times the picker that Chuck is. Richards can play everything and at a very high level of competence [thumbup] ....Beyond that, I suspect this video is simply an example of how two skilled musicians who are also ego maniacs...lol...get along and work with each other. Real interesting video. [thumbup]

What's with Keith not being able to play that bend right?

I love the Stones, and Keith's earned his legend by writing and playing some of the best rhythms in rock history, but he's just not that great of a player tbh.

Chuck is just at another level entirely. He pretty much invented rock guitar ffs, even if he does start all his songs with the same riff...

I decided today to try and learn the classic riffs of rock during my winter break...yeah, that should have happened years ago, but I was playing punk and folk, so don't judge me. One guitarrist said, in the guitar hero documentary, that everyone has to go through the Chuck Berry phase, so...

Anyways, it is harder than it seems. Sort of like the time I tried to play Dazed and Confused and realized, even if it is only like eight notes played slow, it requires way more than I have to make it sound good. :mellow:

Being from the generation that saw the birth of rock, I just take Chuck for granted, it is rudimentary to rock. Not trying to sound uppity or anything, but I can still remember the argument at the time, (1950s), about Chuck Berry vs. Bill Haley being the first rocker, or was it Ike Turner? Or was it Carl Perkins? Then came Doo Wop and the rumor was guitar bands were a thing of the past, the new rage was singing groups. Then it was surf music which was nothing more then west coast doo wop with a surf board. Everything changed in 1964, yes the Beatles, but more then that, around the same time Soul Music, The Detroit sound hit around the same time, and blues suddenly became cool because a group called The Rolling Stones came along followed by the Yardbirds, and the Animals all covering old blues stuff, while the Fab Four admittedly were redoing Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry with a taste of Little Richard, at the same time the west coast pop scene mixed with the NYC folk scene and produced the Mamas and the Papas and groups like The Byrds. Like a grand parade we sat on the sidelines and watched as rock morphed from The Memphis sound to the LA sound, the S.F. Sound, the London sound and into groups like The Jeff Beck Group and Led Zepplin and we never looked back. One reason guys like me get a bit riled when we hear people discount or dismiss the ground breaking work of the bands of the 1950s and 60's, for that matter, the Big Bands of the 40s. Each generation of Pop artist pushed music forward. The Everly Brothers, Orbison, and so many others contributed. Folks, music is like a big buffet, enjoy it as much as you can.

I decided today to try and learn the classic riffs of rock during my winter break...yeah, that should have happened years ago, but I was playing punk and folk, so don't judge me. One guitarrist said, in the guitar hero documentary, that everyone has to go through the Chuck Berry phase, so...

Anyways, it is harder than it seems. Sort of like the time I tried to play Dazed and Confused and realized, even if it is only like eight notes played slow, it requires way more than I have to make it sound good. :mellow:

I feel you. Chuck Berry ain't as simple or easy to play as it seems, and even then, doing it with feeling or having it SOUND like it is something is another thing.

Remember that thread about timing? Playing CHuck Berry will cure you of that, because when you really start to play it, you have to count off the licks because they start before the "1", or before the band comes in. That's what I had trouble with anyway.

That whole film that the clip you shared is a great one. Keef rips a MEAN lead during the performance.

The earliest Stones records have some great Chuck Berry stuff, and is a great example of that style. Maybe the best. They rock.

Keef ain't gonna turn down lessons from his hero, and he did get a lot from Chuck during that time there in the film making. But if you look up the early Stones stuff it's obvious KEEF KNOWS the Chuck Berry style from way back and how to do it. They all did.

There is Chuck Berry in all of us. It's in our Rock DNA. Jaxon there above paints a good picture. I think it's that edge he had compared to the others of his time that put the "rock" in what Rock means to a lot of us.

I feel you. Chuck Berry ain't as simple or easy to play as it seems, and even then, doing it with feeling or having it SOUND like it is something is another thing.

Remember that thread about timing? Playing CHuck Berry will cure you of that, because when you really start to play it, you have to count off the licks because they start before the "1", or before the band comes in. That's what I had trouble with anyway.

That whole film that the clip you shared is a great one. Keef rips a MEAN lead during the performance.

The earliest Stones records have some great Chuck Berry stuff, and is a great example of that style. Maybe the best. They rock.

Keef ain't gonna turn down lessons from his hero, and he did get a lot from Chuck during that time there in the film making. But if you look up the early Stones stuff it's obvious KEEF KNOWS the Chuck Berry style from way back and how to do it. They all did.

There is Chuck Berry in all of us. It's in our Rock DNA. Jaxon there above paints a good picture. I think it's that edge he had compared to the others of his time that put the "rock" in what Rock means to a lot of us.

If you play rock or blues guitar, you're automatically influenced by Chuck even if you got his licks from someone else.

Archived