Gibson Brands Forums

Odetta, the folk singer has died

suburude63

"By POLLY ANDERSON - 6 hours ago -- NEW YORK (AP) - Odetta, the folk singer with the powerful voice who moved audiences and influenced fellow musicians for a half-century, has died. She was 77. Odetta died Tuesday of heart disease at Lenox Hill Hospital, said her manager of 12 years, Doug Yeager. She was admitted to the hospital with kidney failure about three weeks ago, he said. In spite of failing health that caused her to use a wheelchair, Odetta performed 60 concerts in the last two years, singing for 90 minutes at a time. Her singing ability never diminished, Yeager said. "The power would just come out of her like people wouldn't believe," he said." <http://tinyurl.com/5g6435>

Here's a relatively poor photo of odetta performing that final large show at the hardly strictly bluegrass festival a couple of months ago. I saw the whole set and she nailed it. sounded more like 27 than 77. i couldn't believe she was singing sitting down with her voice as powerful as it was.

(sorry it may be kind of large)

odetta2.jpg

I have only heard Odetta sing on several clips in TV specials. I always liked what I heard a lot, it was very potent stuff. I was at the record store a few weeks ago and previewed a couple of her CDs and found all of it lacking in power. Didnt buy any. I wish I knew which one(s) were better. I dont recall the names of the ones I previewed.

KSD, Thanks for reminding me about that song - one of the many I loved and forgot over the decades. Odetta was one of a kind. Unique and powerful voice. Like Burl Ives, sometimes understated for emphasis. I always prefer originals like them, Buck Owens, etc. to many of the current singers who seem to me to be more 'whiney' and nasal. She must have loved what she was doing and doing what she loved! to keep at it for so long.

Archived