Gibson Brands Forums

Third FT45 Cortez

DrRogerFisher

With the help of some forum members, I've now started a small collection of early 1960s Kalamazoo-built FT45 Cortez models.

Nothing like Red's incredible Epi/Gibson collection, but it's a start.

3FT45s.jpg

The 2 Sunbursts are 1963s, and the natural finish (FT45N) model is a 1966.

They've all aged well in sound and appearance, but I purchased them to play, not as collectibles.

Love the feather-touch action and mellow, woody resonant tone of these great little guitars; great for low-key accompaniment.

Here's a Cortez in action, perfect for its namesake "cantina" style:

What the heck, here's a little soft jazz on the Cortez to show its versatility:

Anyway, just sharing my love of these particular Epis.

Anyway, just sharing my love of these particular Epis.

Yup, I love 'em, too.

Had a Cortez many moons ago, and then it's clone, a Gibson B25n which I played for twenty years before letting it go in a trade.

Earlier this year I picked up a '66 Cortez in natural finish, and fell in love all over again. Great guitars!

Very Cool!

I love the sound of Kalamazoo-made Epiphones but have just never been able to make peace with the thin necks and narrow nuts which are a trademark of Gibson-built instruments from this period. When it comes to sound though I will generally take an Epi over their Gibson counterpart.

I am curious though as to what drives you to collect the same model built within a relately short span of years.

I am curious though as to what drives you to collect the same model built within a relately short span of years.

Three reasons why I've collected 3 Cortez from the same time period:

First, this was the first guitar I ever bought (paid 50$ in 1965) and have loved playing it for almost 50 years, so I'm totally comfortable with the thin neck.

Second, the wood used in these particular models (spruce, mahogany, rosewood fingerboard) really combine to create the "mellow resonant sound" that was advertised in the original brochure. (The X-bracing might contribute too). And I think the tone has even improved over time. Can't seem to capture it in video clips, but notes just sing and ring, and you can even feel the wood vibrate with harmonics and overtones. Can't tell you how many people have complimented me on the tone of that guitar.

Third, the craftsmanship, really evident in the feather-touch of the low action. The strings just hover over the fretboard and you really just have to touch them to play, again living up to their original advertisement of "fast low-action neck".

So when I decided to purchase a couple additional guitars (dedicated to open tunings) I tried out all kinds of guitars, but didn't find anything else that gave me the satisfaction of the Cortez.

Glad to see several members share my appreciation for these unique Epis.

In the late 1960s I picked up a 1958/1959 FT-45 Cortez. Pretty much a Gibson LG-2 with the Epi bikini logo. I just wanted a small body guitar that I could snag on the cheap and the Cortez fit the bill. Definitely one of those what the heck was I thinking when I sold it guitars.

Archived