Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's quality control...How are they today?

magictwanger

Well,I just ordered my first Gibson.A Custom "J-35" model,from Fullers of Houston.Since I've only been a member here for a week I am sorry if this is a redundant question.

Anyway,I've seen Gibson take a spanking regards to their quality control,on other forums.Is this something I need to be concerned about?What gives?In all honesty,from the guitars I've seen in stores like G.C. and Sam Ash,the build aesthetic seems to be all over the place.I'm still willing to give my custom a "go"!

Best to all

You ordered through a very good dealer. If there are any build issues, Jeremy Fuller should sort them out for you.

I have two recent Bozeman guitars. I would give one of them a 99.8% build quality rating, and the other 99.9%. One was about 30 seconds of detailing time away from being perfect, and the other about 15 seconds away.

A cupla factors from my observation are involved.

1. There's always a potential of a weakness in materials unseen at final qc checks in a factory. E.g., a weakness in wood, a joint not entirely glued... a rattling pup wire.

2. The story/retailer may or may not have bothered to do anything with an instrument that has been subjected to climate change and that can be perceived in a store as horrid QC from Gibbie or whomever. Frets sticking out from fingerboards is a perfect example; another is that of necessary changes in setup/torsion rod.

I've been hit on that latter on two acoustics I got over the past two years. Both were supposedly checked prior to shipping; both buzzed like the devil. Both, in about 3-4 weeks in their case while I worked too many hours to prepare to return them, were very nicely playable without buzz. That latter was a good lesson.

m

Archived