Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Chet Tennessean

gnappi

There was one in a store nearby this year that had been there for what seemed like forever. The owner wound up selling it at a silly low price. Why doesn't this model get any player / collector attention?

There was one in a store nearby this year that had been there for what seemed like forever. The owner wound up selling it at a silly low price. Why doesn't this model get any player / collector attention?

It's a bit of an odd duck I suppose, but a great guitar with some glowing reviews over the years. They do seem to fly under the radar & can sometimes be found at very reasonable prices. I have a red one from the first year of production (1990). It thankfully does not have the banjo style armrest (personal preference), which I believe became standard within the next year or two of production. Also, the pickguard & truss rod cover on mine are silver, as opposed to later versions which are black (along with the black armrest).

Other features that are somewhat out of the norm for a 335 type instrument:

-25.5" scale fretboard

-Wider neck (1-3/4" at the nut)

-Ebony fingerboard

-Three piece maple neck

-No neck binding

-Three knob (w/master) volume control, one tone

It all adds up to a rather unique guitar.

I agree the Gretsch's have more history and cache in this niche than Gibson...

For better or worse, Gibson built Chet's guitars more specifically to the specs he requested (compared to Gretsch).

Oh btw, another interesting spec on the Gibson Tennessean I forgot to mention in my post above: The neck & body join at the 16th fret on the bass side (a significant plus, imho), as opposed to the 14th fret on the Gretsch models & Gibson's version of the Country Gentleman.

Archived