Gibson Brands Forums

get yer lowden out ... edit . 2nd video added

blindboygrunt

thanks guys ...

the guitar is a lowden that isnt a lowden ....

a guy that i have played a few gigs with sold it to me a couple of years ago ..his wife worked with a lowden luthier's wife and he expressed an interest in a lowden . the luthier said he would make him one if he wasnt overly worried about the logo on the guitar , save a few quid...

its a mahogany with cedar guitar ...built by sam irwin ,one of george's original team ... with lowden parts , in the lowden factory ... so i call it my lowden :)

even if that wouldnt stand up in court merseybeat :)

thanks guys ...

a guy that i have played a few gigs with sold it to me a couple of years ago ..his wife worked with a lowden luthier's wife and he expressed an interest in a lowden . the luthier said he would make him one if he wasnt overly worried about the logo on the guitar , save a few quid...

its a mahogany with cedar guitar ...built by sam irwin ,one of george's original team ... with lowden parts , in the lowden factory ... so i call it my lowden :)

Nice score... made to their recipe then, sweet.

thanks guys ...

Bless you BB..

I didnt see that Celtic bridge..and a ;little vaguey view of headstock..but it is the sound that matters not the emblem..very possible the verdict would turn out in your favor..

Bless you BB..

I didnt see that Celtic bridge..and a ;little vaguey view of headstock..but it is the sound that matters not the emblem..very possible the verdict would turn out in your favor..

yeah merseybeat . the guitar , i think sounds sweet , loses a bit of value with the absence of the logo but , who knows , its a one of a kind instead .

he designed his own headstock , and the guy who had it built actually requested bridge with pins rather than the normal lowden bridge with no pins ....

what it does have is a beatiful 5 piece neck with a gorgeous bit if work at the headstock ... cant remember the term ... volute ???

i'll take a couple of pics later if you're interested in seeing closer details

Very nice BBG, classy performance. The Lowden that isnt a Lowden sounds like a Lowden. Good choice of guitar for this performance.

btw: did George fire this luthier for doing side jobs like this ? [rolleyes]

not as fr as i know ... lol .....i think its just a perk aussie ... perhaps there is some tiny flaw somewhere... honestly dont know if there is .... theres plenty now as i used to play in pub sessions unplugged with a trad band , so it has had the sh1t knocked out of i a little ... lowdens just dont have any flaws ...cant use the lowden name thats all . the guy now teaches luthiery at a college in belfast , but i dont think he was sacked ... i think he left when lowdens stopped for a period after being sold to avalon... then george started up again.

Another perfect storm [thumbup] ....in a good way..haha....great song choice and performance. Guitar sounds beaut.Don't think Gibson has ever gone the cedar top / mahogany b & s have they? Others would know.Nice combo I think.

Recently on Oz Ebay when I search Gibson Acoustic a bunch of Lowdens come up. Some Western Australian guitar shop is importing them.Charging what I imagine are hugely inflated prices...they start at about 4.5 K up to 8K !

yeah merseybeat . the guitar , i think sounds sweet , loses a bit of value with the absence of the logo but , who knows , its a one of a kind instead .

he designed his own headstock , and the guy who had it built actually requested bridge with pins rather than the normal lowden bridge with no pins ....

what it does have is a beatiful 5 piece neck with a gorgeous bit if work at the headstock ... cant remember the term ... volute ???

i'll take a couple of pics later if you're interested in seeing closer details

The only difference probably as a pre 2004 is the dolphin bracing which wasn't being done cause it required too much time & voodo.

When I got mine I was disapointed to not see the 5 Piece neck that had been standard till that point.

When you play it at home, does the Gibson run into the corner and whimper.. ? : )

i'd swap the lowden for a gibson anyday ...

its an absolutely gorgeous guitar for playing single notes ... strumming there are so many overtones that it gets choked a little bit .... hard to explain , the gibson ( i feel ) suits my style , and more importantly inspires me .. maybe a but shallow but the looks help me i think ....

i would seriously recommend a lowden to anyone , but to quote richard thompson ( who knows how to play ) 'i love my lowden but its the hardest guitar to play i ever had'

watch anyone who can master its overtones and ridiculously good response and its awesome , but i'm more ramones than fairport convention :-s

i'd swap the lowden for a gibson anyday ...

its an absolutely gorgeous guitar for playing single notes ... strumming there are so many overtones that it gets choked a little bit .... hard to explain , the gibson ( i feel ) suits my style , and more importantly inspires me .. maybe a but shallow but the looks help me i think ....

i would seriously recommend a lowden to anyone , but to quote richard thompson ( who knows how to play ) 'i love my lowden but its the hardest guitar to play i ever had'

watch anyone who can master its overtones and ridiculously good response and its awesome , but i'm more ramones than fairport convention :-s

There is a well know chap that plays for a living here in Prague called Jamie Marshall who plays a Lowden. Here is a vid of him playing it, but even though its a jumbo and rosewood b/s to me its a very dry tone, a bit flat if you ask me, but he loves it so thats all that matters.

But, big on overtones is not how I would describe this guitar, what do you think ?

ps: check out the blonde on the sofa ... they breed em' well here ... :-)

Quite liked the sound of that as a rhythm guitar, would suit my singer as he's a pounder, so something a bit flat would be great for him.

Agree with that. Not sure this is the best way to show off the character of the guitar. I think much of the "flatness" of the sound is a result of his strumming style here. He may also be choking it off some by easing off a bit with his fretting hand, which damps things down. I bet the guitar could sound quite different when played in a different style.

The blonde on the sofa with the violin I find to be a bit more interesting. Nice to find a girl that likes to fiddle around a bit......

Agree with that. Not sure this is the best way to show off the character of the guitar. I think much of the "flatness" of the sound is a result of his strumming style here. He may also be choking it off some by easing off a bit with his fretting hand, which damps things down. I bet the guitar could sound quite different when played in a different style.

That was my thoughts too, Nick... It's not a sound I'd normally associate with Lowden, if blind-tested I would never have guessed.

I think I need one of the much maligned Norlins for my singer, he can get quite spirited, so something a bit subdued and compressed, not too much volume would be great for him.

That was my thoughts too, Nick... It's not a sound I'd normally associate with Lowden, if blind-tested I would never have guessed.

I think I need one of the much maligned Norlins for my singer, he can get quite spirited, so something a bit subdued and compressed, not too much volume would be great for him.

Any of the Norlin-era square-shoulder hog dreads (J-45 through 'Bird) might be the answer. I think you'd have to experiment with the amplification a bit to see what suits best for your performance settings and musical style.

The blonde on the sofa with the violin I find to be a bit more interesting. Nice to find a girl that likes to fiddle around a bit......

Nick ya old dog ... like your style. Ive been close to this guitar many times, it does have a very dry tone and I find it actually is best suited for most subtle playing, like this track which is a new one from him, tasty.

I think he sounds better on my Hummingbird ... ;-)

You can't fully judge the sound of a guitar by a video on You Tube any more than you could by the recording here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMP6cBwvBUE&list=UUgbzMdrCha1LPw8wltfO7Yw&index=13

It depends on what sound a person is after and some of those Gibsons are good and responsive..

But..if you are lookin for a guitar that continues to make sound whilst you go out,take a piss & come back, a post 2004 Lowden may just be that guitar. : )

If I had to have only 2 or 3 acoustics..they would be Lowdens or Huss & Dalton...but the next 4 would be Gibsons.

Archived