Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone a fan of Hawaiian music ?

JuanCarlosVejar

guys I really have got into hawaiian music and was wondering If I'm the only one here who likes it ? .

anyone of you been to hawaii ?

thanks

JC

Also a fan of Hawaiian music, nothing beats listening to Hawaiian music in Hawaii!!

The wife and I go once or twice a year.......any chance I can get really. We have met a few great uke players over there. We both took up playing (and .... collecting :) ) the Ukulele after the very first trip there.

You must to go to Hawaii......you just must.

Also a fan of Hawaiian music, nothing beats listening to Hawaiian music in Hawaii!!

The wife and I go once or twice a year.......any chance I can get really. We have met a few great uke players over there. We both took up playing (and .... collecting :) ) the Ukulele after the very first trip there.

You must to go to Hawaii......you just must.

Bobby,

It's in my plans =D . can you post a pic of the uke collection ?

JC

Jim and Bob The Genial Hawaiians, anything by the duo but especially Song of the Plains (Home on the Range). I think there are 6 or 7 other recordings known. Including a super hot version of St. Louis Blues. The steel playing is some of the finest guitar playing I have heard. The accompany guitar is perfect.

Man those guys could play.

yea Fran Guidry has some very nice stuff online. He also some informative stuff on recording techniques using the Zoom Q3HD camera...which a few of us here use

Fran has posted a couple of videos on the Epiphone Acoustic forum at various times. They are really wonderful. With their island visuals, watching each is like taking a mini-vacation. He plays really well, and I found the musical genre itself delightful, especially as I had not been exposed to it much beforehand. Fran also writes a short explanation of the origin of the song he plays, so you learn about its history and meaning. Good stuff, especially on a cold winter's night!

Red 333

What a lot of guitar players who fingerpick don't realize is how much their fingerpickin' is influenced by Hawaiian music's slack key picking used with slack key tunings. While most are familiar with Travis pickin''s influence on them (from Merle Travis and then Chet Atkins), what's often overlooked is that fingerpickin' from the late 50's folk boom had a direct link to Hawaiian music's slack key fingerpickin used with slack key tunings...and, it was that mass market folk music played on acoustic guitarsthat influenced the majority of acoustic guitar players at the time and from thereon. The link to Hawaiian slack key pickin' was The Kingston Trio who reached the the mass market and caused Martin Guitars to sell more instruments than they ever had in the history...from their influence. (Martin Guitars paid homage by reissuing some Kingston Trio models a few years back and crediting them for their mass market influence of getting people to play acoustic guitars on larger volumes than ever before.) The Kingston Trio's link to slack key picking was that two original members (Dave Guard and Bob Shane) were from Hawaii before they relocated to college and California and the Hawaiian influence in their fingerpickin' (especially Dave Guard's) in so many of their number one hit albums served as an influence on legends of fellow folk acts who wanted to sound like them as well as legends of fans who took up the folk guitar at that time and since after from older brothers and down the line. Dave Guard ultimately left the group, but was replaced by John Stewart who he mentored who then brought a next generation of fingerpickin' to the next generation of trio fans, influenced (and copying) the slack key stylings of Dave Guard...as at trio's configuration continued to sell millions of albums (until they didn't any more.)

Year later, Dave Guard put out a book paying homage to Gabby Pahinui and acknowleged the legendary Gabby's influence on his own playing from his own Hawaiian roots which worked its way into the trio's music.

Many of us from the folk boom era later learned of Hawaiian music's influence on the blues greats, etc. etc.

But, many us were already playing those licks from the fingerpickin' we picked up from the mass popularity of the Kingston Trio's influence on us, with its Dave Guard (reinterpreted and copied by John Stewart when he replaced him) and Bob Shane's natural Hawaiian influence.

Years later when I decided to really listen to slack key pickin' I learned that I had absorbed its basics as well as much of its pickin' patterns from the indirect influences I mentioned...enough to the point that my pickin' in comparison has a lot more in common with slack key pickin' than actually Travis pickin'.

Those of you looking to hear some really great pickin...some before the term Travis pickin' came into being...should check out Hawaiian music's pickin.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived