Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic Firebird

randalldolan

I am new to this forum and forgive me in advance for my ignorance. I am in the market for a new Gibson acoustic. I have been looking at a J45RW or a Hummingbird and recently I saw what appears to be a great deal on a Gibson Acoustic Firebird. From what I can tell it's a hummingbird with maple sb. Although I liked the Dove a lot it just seemed a bit bright for my tastes. Somewhat concerned about this model being bright as well.

I haven't seen much on this topic/guitar. Any thougths out there. Before I make the long drive to see it, I was hoping i can get some feedback.

Thanks all.

I have one....it is called a Gibson J-30 Firebird. For me, this guitar can do it all. I can strum it hard without distortion, I can finger pick it.....I can play lead....It is the first Maple back and sides guitar that I have really ever liked. Beautiful sound, AND, I like the fire and firebird motifs.....photos don't do it justice....much more beautiful in person....good luck with your quest....

IMGP0052.jpg

IMGP0053.jpg

IMGP0049.jpg

IMGP0049.jpg

go for it! I would LOVE one. The Dove is a big, bold, bright guitar but the short scale of the Hummingbird/Firebird takes some of that bite out and makes for a brilliant tone. The same goes for the Maple J45...I was playing one of those just this afternoon, and oh my LORD can it sing. I want one so badly. Darn lack of cash!!

go for it! I would LOVE one. The Dove is a big' date=' bold, bright guitar but the short scale of the Hummingbird/Firebird takes some of that bite out and makes for a brilliant tone. The same goes for the Maple J45...I was playing one of those just this afternoon, and oh my LORD can it sing. I want one so badly. Darn lack of cash!![/quote']

Oh yeah, Jinder, lack of cash, the perpetual problem. I really want to add one more Gibson to the stable, and I'm giving the Firebird serious consideration. Still got to sell a bunch of stuff, though (not guitar stuff).

I have one....it is called a Gibson J-30 Firebird. For me' date=' this guitar can do it all. I can strum it hard without distortion, I can finger pick it.....I can play lead....It is the first Maple back and sides guitar that I have really ever liked. Beautiful sound, AND, I like the fire and firebird motifs.....photos don't do it justice....much more beautiful in person....good luck with your quest....

[/quote']

hey Wily

Aprapo an earlier conversation.......... they seem to like your "non purist" Gubson LOL!

John

Hey gang,

Thanks so much for the feedback. You have helped me make up my mind, I am going to make the drive to try it out. I will let you all know what I decide to do. I believe that even Dad's get to have a great Christmas don't you?

So here is the short list, J45RW, Firebird, Hummingbird, Hummingbird TV.

R

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

A little road trip on the Holiday took me through Bozeman and a brief stop at Music Villa. What a terrific place. I decided to go with a Hummingbird and they money that they saved me allowed me to pick up a Les Paul Studio.

Great experience and great service. Should be arriving early next week.

Thanks for all of your help with the decision. Proud to be part of the family, twice over!

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

My 07 Hummingbird arrived from Bozeman today. Music Villa did a tremendous job setting it up (New Bone Nut and leveled the frets...) and it really sings. Very warm and very balanced. Blew away all of my expectations. I received the Les Paul a couple of days earlier. My fingers are aching but it feels soooo good.

So following the rules here are the pics.

P1101398.jpg

P1101400.jpg

P1101402.jpg

P1101403.jpg

P1101408.jpg

Please remember, since I bought this used at a bargain price from Music Villa, it has a few nicks but the savings allowed me to buy the Les Paul. I am a very happy camper.

First Songs - Hummingbird, Last Chance Texaco, Rickie Lee Jones, Wish You Were Hear, Pink Floyd., Free Falling

First Songs - Les Paul, Betterman, Pearl Jam, I Am Going To Find Another You, John Mayer

Thanks for all of the advice and support. Very happy to be a member of the team

R

My first song, Hummingbird,

Here are some pics.

Thanks everyone on the comments. The Piano and some of my artwork were a few things I was allowed to keep from the divorce. And of course my three little girls.....

What did John Mayer say? " but you will never have my rhymes"

Cheers to music, it feeds the soul.........

Archived