Gibson Brands Forums

How to record to laptop

livemusic

I want to get Cubase and begin learning how to record with it. I would think Cubase Artist is plenty for me. I am taking an online recording course soon and the guy is a Cubase whiz. My only computer is a one year old Dell laptop, 8 GB ram, 500 GM hard drive, so, it's pretty robust for a laptop, I suppose. But I don't know how to do this. I mean, it's just a standard soundcard that came with it, I doubt it will be very good. I really don't want to spend money on a soundcard for this laptop. How can I use my microphones to record in Cubase? I have been using my Zoom H4n to record with. I suppose I need some kind of interface gizmo? Thanks if you can help.

Your Zoom can be used as the sound card for your computer using the USB cord that came with the zoom.

The how to is in the Zoom Manuel.

SJL200 is quite right!

Look in your Zoom manual for 'Using your Zoom as a microphone.' The Zoom will do the soundcard functions to create a music file, and you will be saving the file onto your laptop instead of the Zoom's installed flash card.

Dave in SLC

SJL200 is quite right!

Look in your Zoom manual for 'Using your Zoom as a microphone.' The Zoom will do the soundcard functions to create a music file, and you will be saving the file onto your laptop instead of the Zoom's installed flash card.

Dave in SLC

I will look into this. Can I plug external mics into the Zoom (it allows you two xlr inputs for recording on the Zoom) and capture that on the laptop? In effect, the Zoom is acting as the interface? For instance... condenser mic > zoom > laptop > recording on hard drive via Cubase?

I will look into this. Can I plug external mics into the Zoom (it allows you two xlr inputs for recording on the Zoom) and capture that on the laptop? In effect, the Zoom is acting as the interface? For instance... condenser mic > zoom > laptop > recording on hard drive via Cubase?

Yes the zoom becomes your 4 Chanel input 2 mic to the XLRs and the 2 xy mica on the zoom

this site has a home recording forum ~ RECORDING ROOM ~ good source.

Good luck

Archived