Gibson Brands Forums

Developed an annoying buzz on my G string

wiggy

If any one has any suggestions on this I'd be really grateful as it's driving me mad.

I changed the nut on my Dot Studio today from the original plastic one to a nice slippery Tusq one and ever since there has been an annoying buzz on the G string.

I've checked everything and it seems like it's not actually the string buzzing but something in the guitar which is resonating at the same frequency as the string. It occurs all the way up the frets but ONLY on the G string and appears to start (just after the pick attack) between the pickups and moves towards the bridge as the note decays.

Nope - no difference. Buzz still there.

It's getting late now but in the morning I'll stick a mike on it and post what it sounds like. Might give a better idea of what I'm hearing and perhaps will make it easier to diagnose.

Hey Wiggy,

Happy new year. Hope all is well with you and yours.

First idea is really basic and from what you are describing...very doubtful.

Have you tried changing the G string? Sometimes even a new one can be bad.

Second thought that comes to mind is more in line with what you are describing.

Maybe you could remove the pickups one at a time and check out the seating and the wiring.

Possibly something has come loose and is reacting to the frequency of the G.

Additionally (and maybe first) check the pickup mounting ring screws as well as any other plastic.

If you change the string, also check out the tuners to make sure nothing has loosened up.

A vibration like that could travel down the neck and sound like it is coming from the body.

Just a few thoughts,

Willy

W.Willy beat me to them....and also, check your tuner bushing & back screws....also check your truss-rod by banging the neck w/your palm a few times to see if it rattles

soooo many things can rattle on a semi or hollow.....just go 1 thing at a time, you'll find it

best of luck & let us know what it was.

edit: oops, he said tuners also, ....dangit Willy, you're TOO good !! [thumbup]

If you loosen the strings then you can pull them up with a pencil while putting a capo on the first fret.

That will keep the strings tight on the tuners yet give you slack.

You can then unscrew the tailpiece, move the strings out of the way and pull the pickup without having to put

new strings on afterward:

IMG_1830.jpg

You can now carefully raise the tailpiece until it is about to come out. (make sure there is no tension on the strings!)

Great care must be taken that the tailpiece does not separate from the studs, fall apart, and destroy your finish...Forever!!!

Said parts may now be carefully removed.

IMG_1832.jpg.......... IMG_1834.jpg

I will now turn this LP from a fretless wonder to a gutless wonder. (sound like any of your favorite politicians?)

IMG_1835.jpg.......... IMG_1845.jpg

When I reinstall the strings I treat the studs, strings and tailpiece as one single unit. (again, being careful)

I set the studs over the bushings and turn them counterclockwise until I hear and feel them seat in the threads.

Only then do I start to tighten them down. After all, the idea is to strip the electronics not the bushings!

Remove capo and re-tune.

Wiggy,

I know you are not gutting the guitar like I did...but....It is a workable way to save your strings.

Willy

As a confirmed cheapskate I've done just that on many occasions when either swapping pickups or just giving the guitar a good clean and polish.

Even better with bolt neck guitars as you can attach the string to the neck with masking tape (or whatever) and store the whole caboodle away safely whilst you work on the body.

If you loosen the strings then you can pull them up with a pencil while putting a capo on the first fret.

That will keep the strings tight on the tuners yet give you slack.

You can then unscrew the tailpiece, move the strings out of the way and pull the pickup without having to put

new strings on afterward:

I use this method quite a bit. In fact, its the only thing I ever use a capo for! [lol]

Finally tracked the source of the buzz and it turns out it's the G string almost imperceptibly vibrating against the 1st fret.

It seems that the new nut (A Graph Tech Trem Nut) wasn't seated correctly combined with the fact that the slot for the G has been cut a shade too deep.

Refitted the nut and problem seems to be resolved - fingers crossed!!

Good to hear you figured it out.

If re-seating the nut doesn't quite do it there are a couple of temporary fixes until you get a chance to make a new nut.

You can shim under the nut although that usually means taking down all the other slots.

You can also add some fill to the slot.

A mixture of baking soda and superglue applied with a tooth pick often helps.

Willy

Buzz is still there msp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gif

Comparing the new nut with the original it appears that the Graph Tech nut is fractionally lower so it may need shimming by a thou or so.

The B & E have just enough not to buzz (ditto the E, A & D) but, because the slot for the G has been cut a fraction too deep, the clearance is too small (doesn't actually touch but by less than a cigarette paper) and as a consequence is buzzing.

Shimming the nut by a fraction will cure it until I can get a new nut.

Archived