Gibson Brands Forums

Maybe we could get JT to come to SANSJAM

ol fred

The dates actually work for me, provided I survive the journey to Prague and luxembourg without getting super glued to something or catching a communicable disease.

OMG if you bring Mark and PM back with his shoe fetish they'll get us all arrested. Next thing ya know Del will show up and we'll go down in history [thumbup]

I can't wait to see this all on DVD.

Last year was so hot, we all forgot to turn on the video cameras... this year will be different.... it will be epic......

I'd like to assign someone to simply run the cameras..... I'll bring my Zoom and a digital video camera..... maybe someone can even edit them together to make a pretty nice video!

The music is mostly good....(except for when the short fat guy sings). I sure wish we'd gotten more photos and videos.

The music is mostly good....(except for when the short fat guy sings). I sure wish we'd gotten more photos and videos.

Bob is being overly modest. How many others here were in a group that opened for the Byrds, the Animals, and the Yardbirds? Perhaps their greatest near-claim to fame is that they were scheduled to open for the Beatles at their last concert in San Francisco in August of 1966, but conflicts between competing musicians' unions knocked PW off the bill.

Here's a poster for a concert his group (Peter Wheat and the Breadmen) did with the Byrds:

pw-with-byrds-poster.jpg

Bob is being overly modest. How many others here were in a group that opened for the Byrds, the Animals, and the Yardbirds? Perhaps their greatest near-claim to fame is that they were scheduled to open for the Beatles at their last concert in San Francisco in August of 1966, but conflicts between competing musicians' unions knocked PW off the bill.

Here's a poster for a concert his group (Peter Wheat and the Breadmen) did with the Byrds:

pw-with-byrds-poster.jpg

You're very nice, Nick.... I sure wish I'd paid better attention back then.... I actually don't recall this concert.... damn those 60's!!

pw-with-byrds-poster.jpg

i just love those old posters !

i just love those old posters !

I still have a few of those from the 60's somewhere, but they are too big to scan, except for a few small handbills, one from a Janis Joplin and Big Brother concert while I was in college. Except for primo concerts, these are still surprisingly inexpensive to buy, and a lot of fun if you have empty wall space, which we don't.

Music poster art from this period is great stuff, particularly the things that came out of the West Coast studios. I have a big Dylan one somewhere as well, which I need to find. Must be from about 1968, as it is somewhat psychedelic.

edit: This is the Dylan poster I was referring to. I checked on ebay, and original ones like this in excellent condition go for about $20-50. Cheap nostalgia.

dylan.jpg

The guy who drew that poster is named Don Ryder.

I actually run into him from time to time...he's a relatively famous poster artist from back in the day.

Ah! I forgot your gig with Buffalo Springfield.

Pretty heady days for a kid from the East Bay who made the front page of the newspaper for getting threatened with expulsion from John F. Kennedy high school for his long hair. Young DanvillRob protested that he was a professional musician, and that his long hair was part of his professional image.

Stuff like that is from a different age that most here can't imagine.......

Ah! I forgot your gig with Buffalo Springfield.

Pretty heady days for a kid from the East Bay who made the front page of the newspaper for getting threatened with expulsion from John F. Kennedy high school for his long hair. Young DanvillRob protested that he was a professional musician, and that his long hair was part of his professional image.

Stuff like that is from a different age that most here can't imagine.......

We've discussed that whole episode here before...... Can you imagine those standards being utilized today?

I have dozens of these articles. Somewhere I have a copy of the article in Newsweek.

Bredtruk.jpg

Trib9136.jpg

19661975.jpg

Ok, let's get back on track.

Who would be interested in coming to a strictly acoustic jam at the Never Sweat Ranch sometime this spring and do a little front porch pickin with JT, DanvilleRob and meself ?

rar, pshaafs, owf, terahar, nodehopper ??????

Valleygirl ??? did I forget anyone else nearby?

• 3 months later...

The dates actually work for me, provided I survive the journey to Prague and luxembourg without getting super glued to something or catching a communicable disease.

Sooo, John, now that the date is firm for SANSJAM....You going to be able to make it ?

Sooo, John, now that the date is firm for SANSJAM....You going to be able to make it ?

Working on it! I'm in DC (Congresional tesimony) and Italy (book) in May and then in June, on the 15th I'm in Bozeman, in Idaho Falls on the 19th, and in Kalmar, Sweden on the 25th. Trying to juggle the calendar right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about to head off to ol' Fred's house for a sound check for the upcoming SANSJAM event in late June.

Fred lives about 2 hours from me....I've got a pick-up full of gear, and gonna take off in a less than 2 hours.

I got a BAD dog bite the other day, two canines through my thumb on my picking hand....couldn't even hold a

pick.... MUCH better today....I'm gonna play some before I go, 'til I get comfortable with how I'm going to pull

this off.

The dog bite was totally my fault....my old girl, (13-1/2), will sometimes pass out, (i.e. faint), and if she stays out too

long, I'm afraid she'll simply die....so I opened her mouth and blew into it to shock her awake.... it did, but as she

woke up she clamped down putting an upper canine through through my thumb next to the nail, and her lower

canine through the other side. Thumb is still black, and still painful...

Guess it's one of the thing all us pickers worry about...hurting our hands....

Archived