Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional

Victory Pete

Has anyone bought one of these and care to share their thoughts?

VP

What up?

Yes indeed, I've made purchase on a Lefty Caramel Burst and took delivery of it on Christmas Eve. However, on the day after Christmas, I returned it to the place of purchase. I can't believe this guitar got past QC. The neck was horrible. On the fat E side between the fretboard and neck, just below the binding, from the first fret to the nut, there was this gap that was filled with sealer compound and it appeared that the neck was not finished properly whatsoever. The mahogany part of the neck under the binding stuck out from the fretboard. I've never experienced this sort of thing on a Gibson ever. The finish did not look anything like the Right Handed Caramel burst they had in the shop either. It looked more like my Honeyburst 1994 Standard. The AA Top was barely visable unless held in play position, then it looked all flamey and nice. Definitely not a $2100.00 guitar. Still waiting for a replacement. :-k

What up?

Yes indeed, I've made purchase on a Lefty Caramel Burst and took delivery of it on Christmas Eve. However, on the day after Christmas, I returned it to the place of purchase. I can't believe this guitar got past QC. The neck was horrible. On the fat E side between the fretboard and neck, just below the binding, from the first fret to the nut, there was this gap that was filled with sealer compound and it appeared that the neck was not finished properly whatsoever. The mahogany part of the neck under the binding stuck out from the fretboard. I've never experienced this sort of thing on a Gibson ever. The finish did not look anything like the Right Handed Caramel burst they had in the shop either. It looked more like my Honeyburst 1994 Standard. The AA Top was barely visable unless held in play position, then it looked all flamey and nice. Definitely not a $2100.00 guitar. Still waiting for a replacement. :-k

Out of the last 6 Gibson I have bought in the last decade only one had to be returned for various flaws. Gibson replaced the guitar at my request. I had some Gibsons in the early 1990's and the quality control was terrible. There seems to be a big improvement since then. Good luck with your replacement. I bet they are hand-picking you one.

VP

I helped my brother inlaws wife pickup a traditional pro plus for him in November. It's fantastic. right out of the box, I don't think he's done anything beyond tune it up and play it. The pickup combo (Classic 57 and Claissic 57+) sound terrific when plugged into my Marshall JTM60 combo.

It was purchased before the price bump too. ($1,699) KILLER!

Archived