Gibson Brands Forums

Potential New SG Owner Needs Advice

rjames1973

All,

I have a birthday coming up next month (the big 40!), so I want to treat myself to a guitar I've wanted for several years: a Gibson SG Standard. A friend of mine purchased a new Gibson SG Standard a few years ago and had some issues keeping it in tune during gigs, so he ended up selling it. I have been reading several guitar forums where quite a few SG owners report the same tuning issues. I've demoed several SG Standards at my local guitar stores and have to report that none of them seemed to stay in tune very well. On the other hand, I love the slimmer neck (I have small hands and relatively short fingers), the lightweight body, and the way the pickups sound. I've been reading about the 2013 models, which come with an optional robotic tuning device installed on the back of the headstock called the Min-ETune (see link below). Has anyone actually gotten a chance to demo one of these? If so, do you think spending the extra money for the Min-ETune is worth it? I've also demoed some SG Standards that have the coil-splitting option, which I think is a great option as well. I don't think the new SG Standards come with the coil-splitting feature AND the Min-ETune together, though. If anyone has any feedback on the SG Standards that I mentioned, please share. Also, if anyone has any recommendations on how to deal with the tuning issues with the SG Standards, please share that as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SG13HCRC-13

Hi...

Keeping any guitar in tune improves with experience IMO and a good set-up

The SG may be susceptible to a little tuning instabilty due to it's slim, quite flexible neck...

Otherwise string binding at the nut grooves...easily remedied by graphite and/or careful widening as appropriate of any grooves...

Usually some vigorous playing and a few string changes will sort the issue out

So again IMO, choose the SG you like without worrying about tuning issues...

Coil taps are widely enjoyed and recommended... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

.... if anyone has any recommendations on how to deal with the tuning issues with the SG Standards, please share that as well. Thanks in advance for your help! ....

Unfortunately Gibson doesn't do nut cuts consistently - some are okay, some are bad, and some are terrible. And their setups usually leave room for personal adjustments. So it's a crap shoot.

Two problems I see quite a bit in Gibson factory nuts: One is the string slots are sometimes too high and the nut slots need to filed to the proper depth. Another is the nut is sometimes rolled off to steeply and the

strings don't stay in the slots all the way to the back edge of the nut. That last one can be hard to understand so there's a pic below - it's a pic of a factory cut nut with the headstock side of the nut rolled off

too steeply. You can see that the A D G and B strings aren't seated in the nut slots properly and are angling toward their tuning posts over the top of the back edge of the nut. The strings can easily slip further out

of the nut slots changing the tension (pitch) of the string. This nut needs to be replaced.

Nutcutbad.jpg

I have never had a problem with my standard going out of tune a lot and I am pretty hard on string bending also. I have the original stock kluson gibson deluxe style tuners on mine. I also took and lubed up the nut with big bends nut sauce lube the first time I changed the strings on it and lowered the action and set it up with a set of 9 guage strings. I can pick it up right now and she will be in tune and if it is out if any at all it will be minor. I play at least an hour a day. It is the best paying guitar I have ever owned. If you have a store near by and are also looking at purchasing a new one I would take the time and try every one they had hanging on the wall. If it becomes an issue, go to another dealer and do the same thing or buy a nice used one that has been well taken care of and broke in well. I would personally stay completely away from the robot tuning system myself. It is just more stuff to go wrong or bad in the long run. Tim

.....I have an SG standard with the p-90's and never have much problems.( cept with the G naturally) ....however the Kreiger I am having problems..but as I showed in another post it has a bad factory nut ( I have a new graphtec nut on order and that should solve the problem)....other than that I can't add much more to that......Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Pete Townshend, Derek Trucks, Robby Kriegar and lots others....would all disagree about SG's being bad guitars.

bigtim,

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you that the Min-ETune system may not be that much of an advantage. A friend of mine turned me on to it recently, and the initial novelty of it charmed me. I may end up going with the non-Min-ETune SG Standard with the coil-tapping feature. To me, having the option to switch between single and double-coil is a really great value with this guitar.

I have never had a problem with my standard going out of tune a lot and I am pretty hard on string bending also. I have the original stock kluson gibson deluxe style tuners on mine. I also took and lubed up the nut with big bends nut sauce lube the first time I changed the strings on it and lowered the action and set it up with a set of 9 guage strings. I can pick it up right now and she will be in tune and if it is out if any at all it will be minor. I play at least an hour a day. It is the best paying guitar I have ever owned. If you have a store near by and are also looking at purchasing a new one I would take the time and try every one they had hanging on the wall. If it becomes an issue, go to another dealer and do the same thing or buy a nice used one that has been well taken care of and broke in well. I would personally stay completely away from the robot tuning system myself. It is just more stuff to go wrong or bad in the long run. Tim

bigtim,

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you that the Min-ETune system may not be that much of an advantage. A friend of mine turned me on to it recently, and the initial novelty of it charmed me. I may end up going with the non-Min-ETune SG Standard with the coil-tapping feature. To me, having the option to switch between single and double-coil is a really great value with this guitar.

Yea that is a better decesion in my opinion. I mean it is neat and all with different tunings and such but I see alot of the robot stuff selling online. I would stick with tuning the old fashion way. Tim

As long as you're plans include having someone check the over all set up and take care of some of the issues already mentioned, no guitar comes out of the box without out potential stability issues with tuning and playability, if you're lucky ya, but most of the time, you wont be.

And as pointed out, SGs are light, with slim / long necks - long due to the fret access allowed from the double cutaway body shape. If you've a heavy hand, you can easily pull these guitars out of tune. if you have a moderate to light touch, a good setup should ensure max. tuning stability.

Good luck!

/KB (ray)

Thanks, kidblast. I agree that no guitar is perfect out of the box. I'm already prepared to spend the extra money for a good setup, and possibly a higher quality nut.

I usually order guitars from Sweetwater, and they always do a great job of inspecting them before they ship them out. I've decided to get a Gibson SG Standard with the coil-tapping feature, so hopefully my POC at Sweetwater will be able to get one for me. If he's able to get one, I'm definitely going to make sure their quality control folks inspect the nut, tuning machines, bridge, etc. thoroughly before shipping the guitar.

As long as you're plans include having someone check the over all set up and take care of some of the issues already mentioned, no guitar comes out of the box without out potential stability issues with tuning and playability, if you're lucky ya, but most of the time, you wont be.

And as pointed out, SGs are light, with slim / long necks - long due to the fret access allowed from the double cutaway body shape. If you've a heavy hand, you can easily pull these guitars out of tune. if you have a moderate to light touch, a good setup should ensure max. tuning stability.

Good luck!

/KB (ray)

Thanks, kidblast. I agree that no guitar is perfect out of the box. I'm already prepared to spend the extra money for a good setup, and possibly a higher quality nut.

I usually order guitars from Sweetwater, and they always do a great job of inspecting them before they ship them out. I've decided to get a Gibson SG Standard with the coil-tapping feature, so hopefully my POC at Sweetwater will be able to get one for me. If he's able to get one, I'm definitely going to make sure their quality control folks inspect the nut, tuning machines, bridge, etc. thoroughly before shipping the guitar.

Personally if I were you and you know about intonation and truss rod adjustment, I would just have them hand pick one for finish, neck feel(because there are some differences in SG neck shapes), a good looking nut and overall fit and finish, then you can do your own initial set up. Once you get it in your hands I would take a good look at everything. Before I would spend the extra cash to have them do it, I would find someone locally if your not familiar with setting up guitars and ask them if you can watch them set it up for you while you wait. I would not bother with a new nut because the corian seems to do a great job. I would just make sure the strings align properly to the headstock. Heck you may not have to do anything to it. My friends SG came from sweetwater but his SG set up from them was not good at all and I hear alot of good set ups from them also. I guess it is a crap shoot because what feels right to someone else may not work for you. Good luck, Tim

All,

Just wanted to share that I ordered the 2013 Gibson SG Standard in heritage cherry. I've read that the 2013 model is similar to the 1961 model. I was hoping some folks who already own the 2013 SG Standard could share their thoughts on it (e.g., pros/cons). Also, what makes the 2013 model different from previous year models? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

All,

I have a birthday coming up next month (the big 40!), so I want to treat myself to a guitar I've wanted for several years: a Gibson SG Standard. A friend of mine purchased a new Gibson SG Standard a few years ago and had some issues keeping it in tune during gigs, so he ended up selling it. I have been reading several guitar forums where quite a few SG owners report the same tuning issues. I've demoed several SG Standards at my local guitar stores and have to report that none of them seemed to stay in tune very well. On the other hand, I love the slimmer neck (I have small hands and relatively short fingers), the lightweight body, and the way the pickups sound. I've been reading about the 2013 models, which come with an optional robotic tuning device installed on the back of the headstock called the Min-ETune (see link below). Has anyone actually gotten a chance to demo one of these? If so, do you think spending the extra money for the Min-ETune is worth it? I've also demoed some SG Standards that have the coil-splitting option, which I think is a great option as well. I don't think the new SG Standards come with the coil-splitting feature AND the Min-ETune together, though. If anyone has any feedback on the SG Standards that I mentioned, please share. Also, if anyone has any recommendations on how to deal with the tuning issues with the SG Standards, please share that as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SG13HCRC-13

I've owned 2 SG Standards (currently have the 2012 P90 model) and I have had zero problems staying in tune.

If you can still get one, I highly recommend the P90 Standard model. Give one a try if you can. They kick ars! Good luck with your search!

Archived