Gibson Brands Forums

Traynor re-issues the YBA-1 amp

RowdyMoon

The YBA-1 was a fabulous amp and a lot of guys bought used ones for guitar because they were the closest that you could get to the Marshall sound.Traynor also made an unbelieveable guitar amp in the late 60s too,that was the Custom Reverb.The Custom Reverb came with a 2-12 cabinet and put out 45W if my memory serves me correctly.I had one for years and finally traded it for the 135W Traynor MK. III combo which could blow a Fender Twin out of the water.Traynor also had another bass amp that was very popular with guitarists and this was the Bassmaster(I can't remember the name for sure).This amp was 200W and came with an 8-10 cabinet and was capable to crack cinder block when cranked.I hope that Traynor has plans to eventually reissue all of its iconic amps from the 60s and 70s because with the obsession that people have with vintage tones these days,they would definitely be a big hit as the Guitarmate reissue was.

I almost bought an original YBA-1 in 2009, from a local music store. I even put it on layaway. But I hit a money crunch (courtesy of my Cluster Headaches making a return appearance - the meds to deal with those extreme headaches, can be pretty expensive), and had to bail out of the deal. [sad] The YBA-1 really had great old school late 60s & early 70s Marshall-style tones. Also, you could jumper the inputs like an old Marshall for additional oomph. It's cool that they're reissuing the YBA-1 but, in the intervening time since I had to bow out of the deal for the YBA-1 that I just mentioned, I've come to realize that non-master volume amps aren't really practical for me in my playing situations. I'm curious too, what the pricing is going to be for these. The one I almost bought, was going for $530.

I almost bought an original YBA-1 in 2009, from a local music store. I even put it on layaway. But I hit a money crunch (courtesy of my Cluster Headaches making a return appearance - the meds to deal with those extreme headaches, can be pretty expensive), and had to bail out of the deal. [sad] The YBA-1 really had great old school late 60s & early 70s Marshall-style tones. Also, you could jumper the inputs like an old Marshall for additional oomph. It's cool that they're reissuing the YBA-1 but, in the intervening time since I had to bow out of the deal for the YBA-1 that I just mentioned, I've come to realize that non-master volume amps aren't really practical for me in my playing situations. I'm curious too, what the pricing is going to be for these. The one I almost bought, was going for $530.

I checked at my local Long and Mcquade....not out yet but will sell for $640.......they are switchable....2.5 watt to 10 to 20 to 40 watt...a nice feature

I checked at my local Long and Mcquade....not out yet but will sell for $640.......they are switchable....2.5 watt to 10 to 20 to 40 watt...a nice feature

Aw maaaan! :( The price is good, and they even took care of my one quibble with the amp, by going to power scaling! I could have my cake and eat it too! Vintage Marshallesque tones, and with a dirt box to slam the front end hard, all of the modern heavy rock tones I want. Too bad I'm tapped out with bills to pay, in the immediate future!

• 1 month later...

I have a '70 YBA-3 Custom Special that I actually play bass through! It's a fantastic amp and my absolute favorite. The price of the YBA-1 is very reasonable, and if they sound anywhere near as good as the originals, I'd love to have one. I had one in the 70's, and never should have sold it...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...finally got it..well a little while ago..but just didn't get around to getting some pics...still playing with settings and tone but all in all for the price this amp is classic. Attenuator set at 2.5 watts it is still plenty loud ...amp at vol 1 to 4 guitar on 3 to 8 depending on whats going on.but again still experimenting...

traynor2.jpg

traynor1.jpg

traynor3.jpg

Congrats my good man!!You have bought yourself an incredible little guitar/bass amp.These little beasties can grind out some very beefy tone,you'll have fun dialing the volume up until it starts to break up.I have a '67 Guitar Mate and it starts to break up gradually once you pass 6 on the volume control, I imagine that yours shares similar properties.Enjoy!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I hope this thread isn't dead and I can get a response from somebody. I recently required a late 60's YBA-1 and have it hooked up to a new Traynor YCS-412 with Celestion G12T-75's. If I'm running the amp (which has an impedance of 8 ohms apparently) in mono using all 4 speakers, what should I have the impedance of the cabinet set to? 4 ohms or 16 ohms? I'd really like to not fry anything in the amp or anything period for that matter. I guess there is also the option of running the amp into the cabinet in stereo which is 8 ohms? Hope this isn't a stupid question, as all my searching for answers on other forums haven't been very helpful or clear.

Thanks!!!

Archived