Gibson Brands Forums

112 Cabinet for Lil Night Train Advice Requested

glennc

Hello,

Circumstances have come up that give me an extra $85. I would like to put this toward a 112 Cabinet for my Vox Lil Night Train. I am thinking more along the lines of the 112 rather than a 110 without much experience to go on. A Vox 110 for this amplifiers goes for about $109. A Kustom Defender 112 for $99. Jet City 112 JCA12XS 1x12 is around the same price with sales.

I've seen a Randall RD112 on sale for $100, and know nothing about this company. I have want to take advantage of the abilities of the amp and it is for me in my bedroom scenario.

Any experienced opinions or advise greatly appreciated. Also what about used?

Glenn

Hi Glenn, I think if you want to stick around the $85 you are working with, your best bet will probably be the Kustom Defender you mentioned. They're a decent 1X12 for the money, and you're not really paying anything extra for a name. If you really want a cool 1X12, I'd suggest saving a bit, and going for an Avatar 1X12. I can't say enough good things about these cabs. They're really good quality, and affordable compared to a lot of higher end stuff. They are pretty customizable as well. -You can pick the color of the tolex, grill cloth, and if you want closed or open back. Another thing that is really awesome is the speaker is held in with T nuts so you can swap out speakers easily for different sounds. They start around $279. -That's a pretty good chunk of change, definitely worth it though.

Another thing and I'll shut up... Used is a great way to save some $$ too. Or you can buy a speaker and build a 1X12. That's a pretty simple project. Good luck.

Hello Twiz,

Thanks for the count on the Defender. I am trying to get a consensus of numerous opinions prior to making a choice. At this low end I can always change speakers as funds become available. Thanks for your input!!

Glenn

I have the same set-up and I went with the matching Vox cab not because it was the best but because it was designed for the output of the amp and it has the distinct Vox sound I was looking for and it matches and look cool in the room. I use it im my small art study for just relaxing I didm't need amazing volume and the matching cab works out well.

I have the same set-up and I went with the matching Vox cab not because it was the best but because it was designed for the output of the amp and it has the distinct Vox sound I was looking for and it matches and look cool in the room. I use it im my small art study for just relaxing I didm't need amazing volume and the matching cab works out well.

Hello retrosurfer1959,

Thank you for the time and informed opinion on the Vox's cabinet. I purchased the Amp because my Blues Jr. is too loud or when turned down it loost it's IMO fullness. I have read a bit of negatives, but it is nice to hear a positive. I really don't know enough about music to go for a Vox sound {:-| !

Glenn

If you're looking for a 1x12 cabinet for cheap then buy the lowest price cabinet you can find new or used. You're really not going to be able to make a bad choice, assuming you pick a cabinet that has the proper impedance to the head. At the price range you're looking in, the quality of all your mentioned brands will all be about the same and your concern should really be saving up to put in a decent replacement speaker in down the road.

That's what I would do baring your financial circumstance. If ascetics are your concern you could always build one, which would be really easy and cheap for a 1x12 cabinet.

However, since you have a Vox I would personally buy a Vox V112NT cabinet just for looks, and eventually change out the speaker if it was a concern.

It looks nice:

lg_NT15H_V112NT_front34.jpg

lg_V112NT_front34.jpg

lg_V112NT_rear.jpg

Good luck!

If you're looking for a 1x12 cabinet for cheap then buy the lowest price cabinet you can find new or used. You're really not going to be able to make a bad choice, assuming you pick a cabinet that has the proper impedance to the head. At the price range you're looking in, the quality of all your mentioned brands will all be about the same and your concern should really be saving up to put in a decent replacement speaker in down the road.

That's what I would do baring your financial circumstance. If ascetics are your concern you could always build one, which would be really easy and cheap for a 1x12 cabinet.

However, since you have a Vox I would personally buy a Vox V112NT cabinet just for looks, and eventually change out the speaker if it was a concern.

It looks nice:

lg_NT15H_V112NT_front34.jpg

lg_V112NT_front34.jpg

lg_V112NT_rear.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks for the info and the thumbs up, slavestate! Again, considered but out of the current range of monetary expenditure!

Appreciated

Glenn

Buy a celestion vintage 30 and and some marine ply. Save yourself a fortune!

Hello Farnsbarns,

If I was handier I would, I've considered it and youtubed it. I was thinking more on the lines of a GFS Reaper, but no tools, no room and apparently not that much desire to build and stain and such... Thank you as that would be a great option.

Glenn

Just a question...If the amp head has the same values as your Blues Jr can one unplug the the built in amp on the jr and plug the speaker into a new head? In this way having two different sounding amps with the same "Cab"? Just a question.

Just to give back ground to this question I have tried in with a orange tiny terror plugged into my Blues jr. Both amps had the same watts running the same ohms. Had a interesting sound, but it was just a short test so really didn't give it the full gas so to speak.

Davej

If I were in the market for a speaker for a Lil Night Train I would definitely go for a Celestion Vintage 30 or Greenback.To my ears Celestions always bring out the best tone of Vox amps.Even if it meant having to wait a while to save up the cash,the wait would be well worth it.A 1-12 would certainly give out a much better tone than a 1-10 and would have a lot more punch.If you know someone who's either bit skilled at all with carpentry it should be far cheaper than buying a factory made cabinet to get them to make it,the biggest expense would be a sheet of 3/4 plywood and if you used a high grade plywood just a bit of stain and some clear poly etc. would save you the bother and expense of covering it with vinyl.

I don't understand. You said you had an additional $85, that is on top of what? Because for $85 and you not being able to build one yourself, your **** out of luck.

That is expendable unexpected monies. With a bit more I might be able to get together, I am in a limited price range. Building a quality cabinet and then putting in a good speaker is I think the best course. I am unwilling and thus am as such out of luck. As an alternative, I mentioned the ones that I've found as a possible compromise.

Glenn

Just a question...If the amp head has the same values as your Blues Jr can one unplug the the built in amp on the jr and plug the speaker into a new head? In this way having two different sounding amps with the same "Cab"? Just a question.

Just to give back ground to this question I have tried in with a orange tiny terror plugged into my Blues jr. Both amps had the same watts running the same ohms. Had a interesting sound, but it was just a short test so really didn't give it the full gas so to speak.

Davej

Hey Davej,

I have been doing that on and off. The Vox really sounds good with the 12" Cannabis Rex. Currently I am just running the LNT through headphones. I would like a separate speaker cab. Good idea indeed!

Glenn

If I were in the market for a speaker for a Lil Night Train I would definitely go for a Celestion Vintage 30 or Greenback.To my ears Celestions always bring out the best tone of Vox amps.Even if it meant having to wait a while to save up the cash,the wait would be well worth it.A 1-12 would certainly give out a much better tone than a 1-10 and would have a lot more punch.If you know someone who's either bit skilled at all with carpentry it should be far cheaper than buying a factory made cabinet to get them to make it,the biggest expense would be a sheet of 3/4 plywood and if you used a high grade plywood just a bit of stain and some clear poly etc. would save you the bother and expense of covering it with vinyl.

I believe that this would be the best plan. But I don't see it happening. So I am going for an inexpensive type cabinet. I have been personally narrowing it mentally to the Jet City JAC12 Cabinet. On sale!!!! Still hoping for comments on the other possibilities though. Thanks for your time and opinion.

Glenn

I guess I'm a bit confused at why you need advice on picking out a cabinet when you're stuck on a budget that won't allow you to purchase one. That being said your best choice would be the least expensive, no?

I sorry for not stating my decision more clearly. I can afford a little more. So I may not need to go with the cheapest. Of the ones that I've researched, I was wondering what would be considered the best value and quality. Is the Randall a good quality compared to say the Jet City, I have decided to not go with a 10 inch in any case. Hope that helps and thanks again for your time and effort!

Glenn

Archived