Gibson Brands Forums

Epi acoustic quality

Starcounter

I just recently purchased my first Epiphone product, a les paul standard. I LOVE this guitar. The action, sound, and build for the price is unbelievable to me. I have owned several other brands of similar cost, and to be honest there is no comparison. I am now in the market for a new or used acoustic guitar. I'm looking for good action first and foremost. I currently have a cheap (I know, you get what you pay for) Fender that i have nicknamed "the finger shredder".

I know it is a question of opinion to some degree, and I'm the stronghold of Epiphone freaks, but is epi the brand of acoustic I should seek?

I plan to spend around 300-400 on it. Looking on Craigslist here in Dallas I do't see a lot of the acoustic epi's for sale out there. Most acoustics in that comparable price range are: Takamine, Washburn, Ovation, Fender and such.

Any recommendations/opinions on what brand/model I should try out would be greatly appreciated. I would love to stick with Epiphone since my recent experience has been so positive, but is that the smartest way for me to go?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Adam,

You should be able to find a used Epiphone Masterbilt in that price range. They are excellent guitars. The AJ500M and AJ500R are slope shouldered dreadnoughts, the DR500M and DR500R are square shouldered dreadnoughts, and the EF500M and EF500R are a Maritn-esque 000 style (M = Mahogany, R = Rosewood).

The Epiphone Inspired by Texan is also very well thought of by its owners, has a pickup system, and can be bought new for $400.

Red 333

Adam,

You should be able to find a used Epiphone Masterbilt in that price range. They are excellent guitars. The AJ500M and AJ500R are slope shouldered dreadnoughts, the DR500M and DR500R are square shouldered dreadnoughts, and the EF500M and EF500R are a Maritn-esque 000 style (M = Mahogany, R = Rosewood).

The Epiphone Inspired by Texan is also very well thought of by its owners, has a pickup system, and can be bought new for $400.

Red 333

Many also seem fond of the AJ200 and the Hummingbird at the bottom end--or a little less, I believe--of his price range. Both still with solid tops, right?

Hi Starcounter,the reason that you don't see too many used Epi acoustics around is probably because once people buy them they are reluctant to let them go.It would be very difficult to find an acoustic of Epi's quality at or near the same price.A couple of years ago my brother in law asked me to find an acoustic for my sister so that she could take it up again since she had given her previous guitar to my guitar playing nephew.I think that it was either the AJ-100 or the AJ-200S but it could also have been a D-100 it was in the $150 - $175 price range and it sounded much better than a lot of other brands they had that cost twice as much.I have an EJ-160-E John Lennon model and it's an incredible guitar.I don't know how much they cost where you live but mine was $575 Cdn. in 2009 a bit beyond your price range but if by some chance you come upon a used one,it would be well worth snapping up.The Epi EJ-200,Dove,Hummingbird and the EL-00 are also great sounding and playing guitars and are closer to your price range.The EJ-200CE is a single cutaway electric edition of the EJ-200.I was on a cruise a couple of years ago and one of the solo entertainers used an EJ-200CE and it sounded incredible through the PA system.I got to know this guy pretty well during the cruise and played the guitar a few time and I was amazed by the booming yet well balanced acoustic sound of it and the extremely comfortable neck.

I have a great new Sunburst color Epiphone AJ-220SCE ---Mahogany laminate (solid sitka top, cut away, electric) $299 out the door! And I LOVE it... LOVE it... LOVE it! Wonderful sweet balanced sound, perfect action, plays utterly beautiful for the price, and looks as beautiful as it plays. Got mine at GuitarCenter so I was able to play it before buying it.The Epi 220 is the guitar on the right end side of my picture.

Great information from everyone. Thanks much for detailed and informative responses. I will defiantly be going for an Epi at this point. I plan to visit a GC soon and try several of the models you each recommended. Once a purchase is made, I'll post pics!

Thanks again,

Adam

I may be the odd guy out but I think it is a mistake to decide in advance to limit yourself to looking at only one make of guitar in any price range. Before people start yelling burn the witch, Epiphone makes a really nice guitar but every guitar has a characteristic sound. That sound works for some but not for others. A good example, I have never met a Taylor I would take home. Way too flippin' bright sounding for my taste. But there are a whole lotta of people out there that love those guitars and would be thinking to themselves - that boy must be on puppy chow.

You need to figure out what sound you are looking for. Do you like a big, dry low end. Do you want a warm sounding guitar. Do you like a brighter sounding guitar. Are you most comfortable with a wide nut. And so it goes and so it goes. But the biggest mistake you can make is to be in a hurry.

Lots of stuff out there in the 3-4 hundred dollar price range. i would recommend that you consider having onboard electronics on whatever you decide to get. It's almost manditory now days even if you don't play plugged in. While it hasn't made a big splash in the market as yet, Epiphone very recently decided to release the Dove and the Hummingbird as a Pro Series with onboard electronics. They should be very popular in a few months. Of course the DR500's recommended above are nice too, but I think I would recommend looking at the EG series Takamine stuff. The EG guitars are made in Korea and the serial numbers are all but undecipherable as to year of manufacture, but if you aren't worried about that they are great guitars. The neck profile on the EG 341C is almost identical to Epiphone Les Paul.....

Hope this helps,

Mark Keesee

Archived