Gibson Brands Forums

precision bass information

krock

I just bought my first bass, the listing if for a Japanese 50's reissue precision. To me the guitar looks more 70's but that's purely because of the pick guard colour that I say that. I'm not sure of the serial number because I believe its in the neck pocket. Is anyone able to look at the pics and give me more info? The pics don't show the detachable bridge cover but it is included.

T2eC16FHJGQE9noMZKCBRpurNoLQ60_12.jpg

T2eC16F8E9s4l58NiBRpt-83g60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqZHJEUFD1sOfZLBRpznnMmw60_12.jpg

I agree about the pickguard, but otherwise it exhibits the standard late-50's features such as maple neck, two-tone sunburst and headstock decal.

A more period correct p/g on the RI would be either white or gold-tone anodized aluminum. I believe the tortoise came along later with the early 60's rosewood necks, and the black even much later than that.

If you decide to swap out the p/g be sure the one you buy will fit your MIJ as the MIJ, MIA, MIM may not be interchangeable (at least on some Strats they're not).

Just backing up what L5Larry says, the bulk (as it were) of your bass is that of a '57 contour-bodied Precision re-issue.

In '57 the P-bass got the split-block pickup and could have been fitted with a gold-anodised aluminium scratchplate. In '59 a 3-ply tortoiseshell 'plate was offered.

The maple neck was discontinued in '60. Rosewood was available as an option in late '59.

As far as I can tell the black/white/black 'plate came along in the early '60s but i'm hardly knowledgable in regard Fender basses.

There is a picture of a '62 re-issue with a 3-ply black 'plate although the earliest genuine example I've seen was a '66.

P.

I've got a '72 P-Bass that I bought new from an authorized dealer in mid '72. With the exception of it being black w/ a black pick guard, it looks exactly the same as yours, down to the chrome ashtrays. Maple neck, skunk stripe, split coil pu, etc. every 50-60 p-bass I've seen has had a Tele looking neck . No expert, but mine was brand new in '72 and if it was sunburst, that would be the pic. I think Fender's website has a historical section that might help, also Gruhn & Elderly.

TC

ps: serial # for mine is on the back of headstock, also don't know if it makes a difference, but mine was made in USA.

It does look like a genuine "Made in Japan" to me from here. It really is hard to be sure because they are so close to the American reissues.

The two main colors I remember were this, a two-tone, and white. The two color burst would have had a single layer white guard, and the vintage white a gold one.

I believe some came with basswood bodies, and some with alder bodies. I know with the Strats, they did, and you have to look hard to tell. There was no distinction with models or price concerning which came with which. Usually, the basswood ones look a LOT like alder. It was good wood, and I don't know if you could tell by sound alone.

Of corse, you are correct that the seriel and "Made in Japan" would be stamped on the heel on these. It's stamped below the finish but above the sealer, and in some cases, an owner would remove it. It's easy to tell (relatively) because the top coat has a tint, and it usually shows different color afterwords.

The guard, as well as the other parts, are a direct fit with the American ones. The "50's Reissue" is the term for the Japanese reissues, and "57 Reissue" is the term for the American ones. They are really the same thing, the terminology really is for a distinction of where it was made.

If this IS the "Made in Japan" one and it has the origonal pup, it's going to suck. I mean really suck. But if you swap it, DON'T swap the electronics, because they are actually VERY good.

Now, if it's "Crated in Japan", it may have an American pup. It's a different factory than "Made in", but usually they make models that are a little more 'high end' for the market.

About the only other thing I can add, is that here in the states, Fender made a BUTTLOAD of "'62 Reissue" basses, and they were made by ONE GUY!, who made them completely by himself, including the pups. For a time, the market was flooded with them, and were going for as little as too-fiddy on the used market. The Nitro at the time was really indistinguishable just looking compared to the poly, so you actually had to check the rest of the instrument. I don't know if this affects what was in the UK, nor the "57" or "'50's" models.

I suppose that's probly a little more info than you expected, but it's a start, eh?

Cheers for the info guys, when I get a chance I'll check out the serial number and do some more research, but you lot really came through with random knowledge of p bass'. I'll probably change the pick guard for a more period correct colour. The pickups were also changed to USA ones by the original owner. As far as I can tell the tuners are backwards like the older ones. One thing I will need to fix is the volume pot which needs replacing but thats a 2 min job now I've bought a soldiering iron for my uni house.

I managed to get more info from the seller about it, apparently it did originally have the gold pickguard but it was swapped because they didnt like it. So that clears up whether it actually is a 50's. Next problem is finding a replacement gold pickguard. Anyone got any idea's where I can find one?

Here you go.

£38 including free next day delivery in the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5652d87eee

This one doesn't have the access slot for the truss-rod adjustment so will, IMHO, look even more 'The Part'.

P.

Cheers Pippy, any idea's if it will fit the japanese model as well as american? mines got 13 holes not 10 like the gold pickguard. It's not a problem if all the other holes lined up but I need to find out before I buy it

Cheers Pippy, any idea's if it will fit the japanese model as well as american? mines got 13 holes not 10 like the gold pickguard. It's not a problem if all the other holes lined up but I need to find out before I buy it

Ah, I'm afraid I don't know, krock.

Is there any way you could beg/borrow or otherwise scrounge, temporarily, a USA guard for a test-fit?

If it came down to it could you haul your bass in to a dealership to compare 'guards?

My own thought would be that as long as the p-up is the same size and shape and the neck is in the same position (seriously!) the rest should fit as the pots will be in a channel so any differences there would be insignificant.

If new mounting holes needed to be drilled I wouldn't worry about it. After all; it's not as if it is a genuine '57 which must be kept all-original at all costs....

Let us know how you get on!

P.

I am guessing the 10 hole version was the one on there before, and the guy put in new holes for the black one.

Gaurds for the Jap models are the same for the Merican. Almost always, an aftermarket one will be one that fits the same for any that are "vintage spec" like a reissue or a genuine '57.

Archived