Gibson Brands Forums

Just Got a ES-339 Polish & Strings

RonZ

I just bought my first electric guitar, a ES-339. I went on a tour of the Memphis custom shop and how could you not buy something after seeing all that. I've been a Martin acoustic player for years. Anyway two questions. First what polish is best for the ES-339, since it is a very beautiful tri-burst? And secondly, what replacement string would you recommend? I like the strings that came with the ES-339, and I'm assuming they are Gibson's, which I don't see sold at too many music shops. Now if I could just get my 63 year old brain and hands to do what I want I'll be all set.

I just bought my first electric guitar, a ES-339. I went on a tour of the Memphis custom shop and how could you not buy something after seeing all that. I've been a Martin acoustic player for years. Anyway two questions. First what polish is best for the ES-339, since it is a very beautiful tri-burst? And secondly, what replacement string would you recommend? I like the strings that came with the ES-339, and I'm assuming they are Gibson's, which I don't see sold at too many music shops. Now if I could just get my 63 year old brain and hands to do what I want I'll be all set.

Congratulations on your purchase! Please post a picture when you have the chance. I now sit up and take notice whenever I see the Memphis plant mentioned, because I recently bought a Memphis-made ES-345, and I am very impressed with their work.

Congrats - 339s are very nice guitars.

The Gibson polish which comes in an orange pump spray bottle is very safe,

both for the nitro finish and metal parts.

For strings, I like Gibson's Vintage Reissues.

I have a red 339 ) as well as a satin 335 . Very different guitars - both lovely. Horses for courses etc. So far, I've only used a fine microfibre cloth. Someone once suggested liquid car wax but the solvents therein worried me.I suggest you at least try a gentle microfibre. It has not produced scratches as far as I can see and the guitars look fine. I have used lemon oil on the fretboard a couple of times. After much experimenting with strings, I find the original Gibson 'Brite Wires' to be very fine. I use 9's on the 339 and sometimes on the 335 where I otherwise use 10's. A friend in the UK swears by Gibson Les Paul strings on his SG. Another friend in the UK uses flatwound on his 60's 345 and achieves the sound he prefers. Why not just try some alternatives to see if you have a preference. Good luck & congrats on your 339. I am so pleased that I bought mine (on impulse - I fell in love with it in a shop and had to have it).

Hey RonZ!

congrats on the 339 score.

For cleaning supplies, check out the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. Http://www.virtuosopolish.com/ can get this stuff online @amazon.

The Specs at the Gibson site mentions only this for the strings: .010 - .046, Vintage Style strings

So those could be Gibson Vintage Reissue. Never used em.. BTW: more on your specs here: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Custom/ES-339/Specs.aspx

If you are interested, you can get Gibson brand strings here: http://www.juststrings.com/gibsonelectricguitar.html

I used to use the Signature Les Paul strings on my Les Pauls, and SGs but recently started using Ernie Ball Cobalts. I've also used the .011 L5s for my Archtops, (wound G) liked hem too.

Then again, D'Addario XLs are respectable strings too.

Juststrings.com will have everything you can imagine for a string brand and type, and they are great to work with I live in Central Mass, they're just up the road in Southern NH. It takes about 2 days for an order to reach my door. Maybe give them a try. I've pretty much given up on going to the local store for a string restock. they never have quite what I'm after, and I can get better prices online.

Good luck, and enjoy the new ride.

/KB (ray)

Strings are really a personal thing as to what tones you favor etc. I like Exlixir because they seem to last a long time and stay in tune well, usually go with 10s or 11s. As to polish the Gibson is good - I also like Virtuoso which is two separate bottles (first a cleaner then the polish) each about $10.

Archived