Gibson Brands Forums

What a Cheap Trick

TommyK

Ricks Picks in the Burpee Museum in Rockford, Illinois. Now through about April 10.

Rockford is Rick Neilsen's home town. This is not likely to be a 'traveling' showing, so if you are in the area, you'd better get there soon.

Enjoy:

One of if not THE first guitar Neilsen purchased from his parent's music shop. The Goya he's serenading his child with is the one in the display window. I think the text says he paid $35.00 for it. Money earned working in the music shop.

100_6181_zps48024ce7.jpg

He owns a few Epiphones too.

100_6183_zps54d0204b.jpg

100_6182_zpsf7b3ba76.jpg

100_6180_zpsf9b6f6f7.jpg

100_6178_zps79bc8425.jpg

Tele, Everly Brothers, a Rick, and ... what's that acoustic there?

100_6179_zpsf01d8434.jpg

A Les Paul acoustic!

100_6176_zps506ba6fd.jpg

Yup, a Les Paul acoustic.

100_6177_zps2e27d1a9.jpg

I happened to be watching the show American Pickers last week. They were in Rockford and one of the guys on the show is a Cheap Trick fan so they went to Ricks Picks. RN was there and took them to one of his storage units so they could pick through it. The unit was full of memorabilia from the floor to the ceiling including cases after cases of guitars. It was pretty interesting. RN says he has over 1900 guitars!

I found one thing very interesting, and possibly a falsehood. There was supposedly Lonnie Mack's Original 58 V displayed. It stated that it is Lonnie's 59 Red V minus the Bigsby. Well, Lonnie's V is a 58, Number 7, the seventh V ever built. I know it has had several headstock breaks. The V displayed is tagged as a 59, no evidence of any headstock repair, nor any evidence of any Bigsby ever having been mounted. Something fishy there. So when I got home I got to looking and couldn't find anything on the net about lonnie having sold his beloved V to RN, only that he still plays/gigs with it daily? so, WTF?

• 2 weeks later...

Ricks Picks in the Burpee Museum in Rockford, Illinois. Now through about April 10.

Rockford is Rick Neilsen's home town. This is not likely to be a 'traveling' showing, so if you are in the area, you'd better get there soon.

Enjoy:

One of if not THE first guitar Neilsen purchased from his parent's music shop. The Goya he's serenading his child with is the one in the display window. I think the text says he paid $35.00 for it. Money earned working in the music shop.

100_6181_zps48024ce7.jpg

He owns a few Epiphones too.

100_6183_zps54d0204b.jpg

100_6182_zpsf7b3ba76.jpg

100_6180_zpsf9b6f6f7.jpg

100_6178_zps79bc8425.jpg

Tele, Everly Brothers, a Rick, and ... what's that acoustic there?

100_6179_zpsf01d8434.jpg

A Les Paul acoustic!

100_6176_zps506ba6fd.jpg

Yup, a Les Paul acoustic.

100_6177_zps2e27d1a9.jpg

Tommy K thanks for letting us see all of this, kind of neat.

• 4 months later...

I decided to take a trip down memory lane.. and read some post I'd not seen.

You're welcome.

And... for what it's worth, at the closing of the show there was 'some talk' about taking the show on the road. But that was just talk and likely wishful thinking.

Other non-guitar items was the Official Declaration, on school district letterhead, making RN an honorary, lifetime member of his former junior high school band. It seems he'd been kicked out of his Junior High band... for life... no kiddin', for life! Something about not following the music as it was written. In recent hears, the school district thought better of it and rectified the situation.

Archived