Gibson Brands Forums

Trance Amulet Mono

RichG

This is the system that Gibson puts in the J45 Purevoice. I just had it installed in my AJ and I'm very happy with it. It really does sound like a very loud acoustic guitar through my Loudbox Mini. It has the internal volume and tone controls mounted near the sound hole, but because of the way the bracing is, they had to be mounted a little more back from the edge. I like that because they can't be seen, but they are still accessible.

So now I have my one guitar that I can plug in when I have to. All is good in the universe again.

Rich

nice. did you have the guys at russo do it or somewhere else?

Brian at Russo did it. He put one in his own AJ a while back. BTW, they are in a new location now, just a block away from the old place. A very nice set up.

I have nothing but good things to say about those guys. I had built up some store credits from my two guitar purchases there which made the cost of the Trance very affordable. I suppose you can always find a lower price for guitars on line, but I enjoy the ability to go to a real place with real people. This is my third trip there in three months and it's 120 miles one way for me. Brian did this install while I hung out so I wouldn't have to make another trip.

Rich

Nice.

I haven't heard an Amulet myself, but I wonder how it compares to the Taylor ES Electronics?

I'm about as far from an expert on pick up systems as you can get, so I can't comment. I would guess it has as much or more to do with the guitar you put it in. The guys at Russo put one in a Martin Dred and had to play a bunch with the position of the "acoustic lens'" to get an acceptable sound. They claim it works better in the Gibson guitars because there was a collaboration between the companies. That's what they told me, anyway.

Rich

Saweeet ! That Trance system is top-notch, if you like it through the Loudbox, wait until you get a chance to plug it in to a high-end PA. It will make you drool.

I'm no sound expert by any stretch, lol, but why did you say this? What do you mean high-end PA... such as what? A PA will sound better than an acoustic amp due to what reasons? Fuller sound or what?

I'm no sound expert by any stretch, lol, but why did you say this? What do you mean high-end PA... such as what? A PA will sound better than an acoustic amp due to what reasons? Fuller sound or what?

I won't try to put words in Dan's mouth, but I think the Loudbox Mini is about the smallest thing one could have besides a practice amp. What is interesting is with the mini EQ set flat, the guitar sounds exactly the same with the amp on or off, just louder with the amp on. I actually had to ask my wife turn the amp on and off while was playing to see if it was doing anything. I used to have a Huss that I bought used that had some sort of pick up in it but it sounded a bit different through the amp. We have a gig coming up in a few weeks where I'll be plugging into a PA system supplied by the venue. That will be a good test.

Rich

Horsepower. Full array of speakers covering the whole sound spectrum low to high. Subwoofer to tweeters. Even a modest small quality house PA. Yamaha, Peavy, Mackie, with stage monitors, and a competent sound guy behind the board, will give your sound a bigger presence. Even when I used to play on stage with a band we miked all the amps, drums and ran it all through the PA system. Only rule was, once Leonard (our sound guy) got all his levels set, you could not touch the dials on your amp, Leonard at that point was god.

I'm about as far from an expert on pick up systems as you can get, so I can't comment. I would guess it has as much or more to do with the guitar you put it in. The guys at Russo put one in a Martin Dred and had to play a bunch with the position of the "acoustic lens'" to get an acceptable sound. They claim it works better in the Gibson guitars because there was a collaboration between the companies. That's what they told me, anyway.

Rich

Just to clear up, the system works great on Martins, that one just happened to be a particularly bright guitar so it was basically an amplification of that guitars natural tone. We've put the system in quite a few guitars and we've been very happy with the results.

Just to clear up, the system works great on Martins, that one just happened to be a particularly bright guitar so it was basically an amplification of that guitars natural tone. We've put the system in quite a few guitars and we've been very happy with the results.

I told you I wasn't an expert. [biggrin]

Rich

Just curious - was the install done using the barge cement method, or the new durable tape method?

http://tranceaudio.com/manuals/TranceTemplateInstall.pdf

I'm not 100% positive. I should let Scott answer that. I went to lunch before that time and when I came back there were clamps that needed to stay on for 30 minutes according to Brian who was doing the install. Don't know if that is an indicator of which method was used.

Rich

EDIT: I just looked at the link you provided and I think they used the tape method, but again I'd like Scott to comment.

I'm not 100% positive. I should let Scott answer that. I went to lunch before that time and when I came back there were clamps that needed to stay on for 30 minutes according to Brian who was doing the install. Don't know if that is an indicator of which method was used.

Rich

EDIT: I just looked at the link you provided and I think they used the tape method, but again I'd like Scott to comment.

We did the tape method. We use the temporary tape until we find the spot we like and then clamp in the permanent. If it hasn't fallen out of Brian's guitar on tour, its not going to.

Archived