Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Brand, "Alnico Classic™ humbuckers"

EthanBrackett

Right, so my friend is coming over soon, yes the same one who i was looking at the futura for, and after looking around, he felt like he was more into the '58 Goth Explorer from Epiphone. this guitar seems well made, as Epiphone quality is normally quite good, not to say i haven't played my fair share of epiphones that I wouldn't have sent back down the production line after an inspection, but I'm not going to get caught up on that because if he does get one. and it's less than expected. I'll just go to town on it with my setup tools, and spare electronics until it sings, moans, weeps, and screams, like it should. now than, onto my question.

The Epiphone branded "Alnico Classic™ humbuckers"

are they basically the same as the '57 classic humbuckers that Gibson sells? or what are these things, were do they rate vs' say the burstbucker? I remember seeing a bar chart on the gibson pickups but i dont remember if these pickups where included in that.

specs would be great. But, personal opinions are always helpful. My friend is question is also a semi student of mine (I got him back into guitar after he unfortunately had to sell his rig before he moved, about a year after I heard this,I formed a pot at work and we pulled money together to buy him a new guitar, and amp and stuff For Christmas((not a pack mind you, we got him a B.C. Rich Masterpiece Eagle, and a Peavy Vyper 15)) Ever since then I've been trying to teach him and get him back up to where he was. which is about my level where he could start doing small pub gigs)

so yes, If i could get some more info about the pickups in the Epiphone '58 Goth Explorer which are the Epiphone branded Alnico Classic™ humbuckers that would be awesome :D

PB_Splash.jpg

Over the past couple years, Epi's introduced some graded HB's: the Probucker (similar to a Gibson Burstbucker) and the Alnico Classic Pro (two versions, one with a hotter bridge). I believe both have A2 magnets. These are primarily used on higher end models with push-pulls (LP Customs, LP Stds, LP Ultras, 339's, G-400's with gloss finishes, etc). All are very good and compete favorably with American-made PU's.

There is also the 'Alnico Classic', that as far as I can tell, is their old '57 Classic that the marketing department gave a new name to. I got a recent manufacture ebony LP Std that's supposed to have 'Alnico Classic' PU's, and they were Epi '57's. Epi '57 Classics are so-so PU's (hence the reason for the upgraded ones mentioned in the first paragraph), have A5 magnets, and have nothing in common with Gibson '57 Classics (the similarity in names notwithstanding). Epi's been stepping up their game and their '57's these days may be better than they were 5 or 10 years ago.

You'll have to try out the Explorer and see what you think. With the amp, pedals, genres it's used for, the PU's may be fine. But if not, then an upgrade may be in order. I'm assuming it'll be used for metal (as opposed to jazz or country; don't see many of those guys with Goth Explorers) and Duncan and DiMazrio have some good PU's especially for that. There's also the Gibson 500T/496R pair, pricey new, but reasonable if you can get them used.

I have these in my 355 and think they're great. As the above post says though, the high end models have better alnico classics fitted and i assume that's what are in my 355. If they are the same I think they're great, I have no reason to change them right now.

I had them in my Epi 355, and I thought they were "OK". In my opinion fine for home use or playing through small SS/modeling amps but not really gig-worthy. I also have a Gibson 355 with Classic 57s for comparison and the Epi did not sound as good to me. I put some used Gibson Classic 57s in the Epi and now it sounds almost the same as the Gibson. Big improvement to me.

This is just my personal opinion and if others like them that's totally cool by me.

I have a 2010 LP +Top with the Classics. Neck is about 8.4 K Ohms Bridge is 13.4 K Ohms ALNICO 5 magnets. Very clear on both neck and bridge pickups. Bridge is really bright on mine. Epi did a good job on them.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of folks on this forum recommend pulling them out immediately. A tiny minority like them. I'm in that minority. But then again, it could very well be the pups are inconsistently made... I have a 2010 Flying V and the pups are a little dark but smooth and perfect for classic rock. The same model in a 2012 ES355 sound bright and I really like them clean and dirty. A few years ago I had a 2006ish LP and they were really muddy. I suspect the 57 classics are variable according to year and location. Play it and try with and without the bright switch on the amp.

Archived