Gibson Brands Forums

Fine Scratching in Clear Coat...

LesPaulULTRA

My brother-in-law wants to clean up the scratches in the clearcoat of his Lucille (mostly on the back).

Can you use those clearcoat scratch removers that are used on cars, or do you just buff them out? Or is buffing going to make it worse?

Any experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sid

I use Meguiar's Scratch X. It works pretty good. I have been able to take out the majority of scratches on guitars with it. I don't think I have ever gotten 100% of the scratches out, but they definitely look a whole lot better than when I started. I just use a cloth diaper to rub it in with.

My brother-in-law wants to clean up the scratches in the clearcoat of his Lucille (mostly on the back).

Can you use those clearcoat scratch removers that are used on cars' date=' or do you just buff them out? Or is buffing going to make it worse?

Any experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sid[/color']

An automotive swirl remover or scratch remover is exactly the product. If the 'scratches' are fine, try the swirl remover, first.

Use the product according to the package directions. You can use an electric buffer, but I highly recommend you get a new pad just for the guitar (lamb's wool is great!). Buffing it will get the shine back!!

Sheila

Have to agree with JC and Deflepfan - you can either

hand-buff (I used soft cotton t-shirts) OR use a round

Foam Pad that goes into a drill (2 pads, one for each

different grade of buffing compound). Pix to follow in

post... Downside is that a BLACK guitar is notorious for showing

scratches!

But, here's what I've used many times, both by hand and with

foam pads. Can be purchased at local Auto parts store.

Ultimate Compound for first passes (deeper scratches), followed

by Swirl Remover (second passes/FINER GRIT) for finer scratches,

then guitar polish...

100_0472.jpg

RESULTS:

100_0273.jpg

GOOD LUCK, Young SkyWalker.....

zakknaut.jpg

I have used Scratch X successfully in the past, but then I read that there is Silicone in Scratch X so I have discontinued using it on any of my current guitars. Granted, there is some debate as to whether there really is Silicone in the product, so use it at your own risk. Silicone is nasty stuff that can migrate from your guitar to your hands and onto any other guitars your playing. It makes any potential refinish of the guitar in the future very difficult as well. If you don't ever plan on refinishing your guitar, it likely wont matter much I guess.

Is Swirl X new? I haven't shopped for a while. I have had the Scratch X for a few years after buffing out a Martin D-15S, but I presume the swirl X is a less abrasive version (notht at scratch X was at all abrasive)? Or is this the same product relabeled/updated?

I have used Scratch X successfully in the past' date=' but then I read that there is Silicone in Scratch X so I have discontinued using it on any of my current guitars. Granted, there is some debate as to whether there really is Silicone in the product, so use it at your own risk. Silicone is nasty stuff that can migrate from your guitar to your hands and onto any other guitars your playing. It makes any potential refinish of the guitar in the future very difficult as well. If you don't ever plan on refinishing your guitar, it likely wont matter much I guess.

[/quote']

What exactly does silicone do to make refinishing difficult???

What exactly does silicone do to make refinishing difficult???

This is more of an issue with nitro finished guitars. Small, spot repairs can easily (and are often) be made on nitro, and silicon could prevent the new finish to melting or adhering with the surrounding old finish if it's not completely removed. there's also some concern that silicon could damage nitro over time.

It's true that silicon could make refinishing a poly guitar more difficult, but spot repairs are less common and less successful. If the refinisher takes the time to properly prepare the surface, it shouldn't be a problem, though.

Red 333

I just recently ordered and got that Guitar Scratch Remover that's advertised online to try and get out some scratches on my Dot. From my experience with it I didn't think it was a "miracle" fix. I got just about as good of results using NuFinish car scratch remover.

Archived